Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch I went back and started MDing where I left off yesterday. I am gridding off small areas as I go. It was in the 30's and a tad bit windy, but hey, who cares? I swear to you, I wasn't there more than a minute and dug a large coin on my FIRST signal!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw this large round object in the hole. I thought "no way is this a coin. It must be another token." I spit on my towel and gently rubbed a bit of dirt off. I saw a person sitting with their arm extended. I have no idea what some old coins look like into the 1800's, but I thought for sure this was one. Maybe a large cent? Anyways, I was excited!!! ;D I decided to continue around that area, and had to move some pots and a garden hose out of the way. A few minutes later, BAM!!! Another hit where the hose was. I dug down, and guess what? ANOTHER large coin!!! I thought "NO WAY am I going to score two 1800's coins." I about soiled myself. :o I was to find out later when I got them cleaned up that I had been punked. :'( They were NOT 1800's US coins. :'( :'( :'( I continued on after there were no more signals. I dug an IH underneath a flowering bush after that, and a few more items.
My lunch finds were:

*1920 One Penny - Country? I have no idea? Is this thing worth anything?

*1943 New Zealand one penny

*1907 IH

*1918 Wheat

*1975 vaccine tag and a live bullet.

I'm not giving up. There has to be an LC out there somewhere. ;)
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 856
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 828
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 827
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 850
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 837
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 835
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 833
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 834
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 831
Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds again MM, must not be a well hunted site with the big coin finds your making. You're sure to find some quality old relics there. Good Luck!
Glenn

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British one Penny worth $1(on a good day). ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean there Doug. Those large coppers would have gotten my blood pumping too. Large copper coins look so good coming out of the ground. Keep up the good work. I'm sure there's some American large coppas lurking around there somewhere.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
British one Penny worth $1(on a good day). ;D

So if I dig a million more of these I might be a rich man? ;D Darn Brits. ;)
Thanks Crusader.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Oh Well.....you had me excited too! I have never dug a large cent either but this year will hopefully bring our firsts!! Its good that you got out. It was freezing sleet here all morning. 8)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Oh Well.....you had me excited too! I have never dug a large cent either but this year will hopefully bring our firsts!! Its good that you got out. It was freezing sleet here all morning. 8)

Thanks Johnny. I think we're headed for that nasty weather tomorrow. Good luck on the LC hunt this year.
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner,

Don't worry about the LC's. They will come. After all, you're hunting in the right spots to get 'em--and that's most of the battle.

Nice finds--I'd take an interesting coin any day of the week. I've never dug either one of those, so I think they're pretty darned cool.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner,

Don't worry about the LC's. They will come. After all, you're hunting in the right spots to get 'em--and that's most of the battle.

Nice finds--I'd take an interesting coin any day of the week. I've never dug either one of those, so I think they're pretty darned cool.

Regards,
Buckleboy

Thanks BB. This one side of the house has really produced so far. I'm slowly working my way around to the back yard where the smoke shack and old kitchen are. I got my Tesoro back today from the shop. It has the bigger coil on it, so I'm good to go. Crappy cold rainy weather tomorrow, but I'll be back out there on Saturday like a diggin' fool. ;D
-MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It took me 2 yr.'s to get my one and only LC.....and just my luck....NO DATE!!!!Oh well...Congrat's on the find's,and by the way....I still haven't dug an IH yet :-[ Keep pluggin' away my friend.HH!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
It took me 2 yr.'s to get my one and only LC.....and just my luck....NO DATE!!!!Oh well...Congrat's on the find's,and by the way....I still haven't dug an IH yet :-[ Keep pluggin' away my friend.HH!!

Civil,
Thanks for trying to make me feel better. ;D ;) Hopefully the backyard will hold my LC. I still haven't found a LOT of coins yet including anything standing, seated, or even laying down. :o ;D
-MM-

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Man Modern Minor, are you trying to out do yourself, lol. You did an outstanding job on the finds. You’re an expert metal detector manager if there ever was one. Thanks for sharing and keep at it :).

HH and Good Luck. 8)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ant said:
Man Modern Minor, are you trying to out do yourself, lol. You did an outstanding job on the finds. You’re an expert metal detector manager if there ever was one. Thanks for sharing and keep at it :).
HH and Good Luck. 8)

Anthony,
Thanks so much for the great comment. I appreciate it. I think I'm pretty lucky to live in a state that has decent weather, and can get out to MD most of the year. There is a lot of old history in this area, and I've been lucky enough to be able to MD at some of these old properties. I'm really hooked on relics , and this Tesoro seems to find them pretty well.
Have a great weekend.
-Doug-
P.S. I'm thinking about having my detector mounted on my leg like the girl in Grindhouse with the gun attachment. ;D

Attachments

• Grindhouse.jpg
    Grindhouse.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 699

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That's a nice bunch of lunchtime coins you found there, Doug. You're getting so close to the 1800's coinage at that site.
Keep it up, buddy. I was just thinking.....what are the chances of digging up two large Foreign coins in the US during an hour hunt? Pretty slim, I'd say...Congrats. ;)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
That's a nice bunch of lunchtime coins you found there, Doug. You're getting so close to the 1800's coinage at that site.
Keep it up, buddy. I was just thinking.....what are the chances of digging up two large Foreign coins in the US during an hour hunt? Pretty slim, I'd say...Congrats. ;)
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan. When I first dug them they were dirty and the same size, so I thought I had two of the same type of coin. I can't believe I have coind from two different countries and only about 3 feet from each other. I'm wondering if the kids were playing with them because I found a marble and that tiny teapot pretty close too. Maybe it was the kids play area? At the farm down the road that I've hunted for over a year now, I dug an old 1933 coin from Chile last year in an area where I found various old toys. Maybe these foreign coins weren't worth much back then either? ;D
-Doug-

Attachments

• peso.jpg
    peso.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 644
  • peso2.jpg
    peso2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 636
  • peso2.jpg
    peso2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 644
  • peso.jpg
    peso.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 639

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world is watching Doug..

I wish you the best of luck as you continue your quest for treasure at that old spot. You're certain to feel the vibes of your fellow TNetters on Saturday, and I know it's going to help you find something really fantastic..

Nice going on the coins, the IH alone would've been worth the trip for me.

Nat

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks my fellow TN friends. Looking forward to a longer hunt on Saturday.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread