Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch I went back and started MDing where I left off yesterday. I am gridding off small areas as I go. It was in the 30's and a tad bit windy, but hey, who cares? I swear to you, I wasn't there more than a minute and dug a large coin on my FIRST signal!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw this large round object in the hole. I thought "no way is this a coin. It must be another token." I spit on my towel and gently rubbed a bit of dirt off. I saw a person sitting with their arm extended. I have no idea what some old coins look like into the 1800's, but I thought for sure this was one. Maybe a large cent? Anyways, I was excited!!! ;D I decided to continue around that area, and had to move some pots and a garden hose out of the way. A few minutes later, BAM!!! Another hit where the hose was. I dug down, and guess what? ANOTHER large coin!!! I thought "NO WAY am I going to score two 1800's coins." I about soiled myself. :o I was to find out later when I got them cleaned up that I had been punked. :'( They were NOT 1800's US coins. :'( :'( :'( I continued on after there were no more signals. I dug an IH underneath a flowering bush after that, and a few more items.
My lunch finds were:

*1920 One Penny - Country? I have no idea? Is this thing worth anything?

*1943 New Zealand one penny

*1907 IH

*1918 Wheat

*1975 vaccine tag and a live bullet.

I'm not giving up. There has to be an LC out there somewhere. ;)
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 857
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 829
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 828
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 851
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 838
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 836
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 834
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 835
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0
K

KirkTN

I know kinda how ya feel. I plucked out a Large coin at the base of a Huge Oak next to an 1802 Church. I just knew I had me one them big coppers. Well, it was a large copper alright an Iris 1946 one.ย  :-\ You had a great day. The IH is awesome ;)

Attachments

• irishlargepennycrop.jpg
    irishlargepennycrop.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 490

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs...You gotta admit though, you're doing well...I think you'll break 1800s at that site...lots of potential there. Congrats and HH

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Doug,
Awesome finds. Looking forward to Saturday. Hope it's warm.
Joe

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkTN said:
I know kinda how ya feel. I plucked out a Large coin at the base of a Huge Oak next to an 1802 Church. I just knew I had me one them big coppers. Well, it was a large copper alright an Iris 1946 one. :-\ You had a great day. The IH is awesome ;)

It's a thrill to see a large coin come out though isn't it Kirk. ;D ;)
Nice coin you found there.
-MM-

wyattrr said:
Nice Digs...You gotta admit though, you're doing well...I think you'll break 1800s at that site...lots of potential there. Congrats and HH

Thanks Wyatt. You are correct though. I LOVE this new place. Very nice people that own it too.
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt MM! I'm sure those large British Pennies were great to dig up. I have found a few here in Germany. HH, Mike

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
WOW nice digs. I really like the indian. I have yet to dig one but it's out there waiting. WTG good luck and thanks for sharing.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, it won't be long and the LC will show. I have only found 3 with dates , several without dates, and I have been detecting since the 70's. I have found them hard to come by, others seem to find alot.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner,

Don't worry about the LC's. They will come. After all, you're hunting in the right spots to get 'em--and that's most of the battle.

Nice finds--I'd take an interesting coin any day of the week. I've never dug either one of those, so I think they're pretty darned cool.

Regards,
Buckleboy

Thanks BB. This one side of the house has really produced so far. I'm slowly working my way around to the back yard where the smoke shack and old kitchen are. I got my Tesoro back today from the shop. It has the bigger coil on it, so I'm good to go. Crappy cold rainy weather tomorrow, but I'll be back out there on Saturday like a diggin' fool. ;D
-MM-

Good luck on Saturday! With the ice here in KY, our Iron Brigade plans are on a temporary hiatus. :-\ Glad your Tesoro and you are back up and runnin' again.

You know, some folks wonder why they don't make great finds--yet they only dig once in a blue moon. You're a different kind of digger, buddy. Out there multiple times a week. THAT'S the way great finds are made. Ya gotta spend some time diggin' to get the good stuff.

Now I know you mentioned the property around the house (yard and all)...I don't think you said anything about fields around the house. With the CW history there, if there are fields, you know where I'd be going after the yard was cashed out... ;)

Another thing--this house (as old as it is) had to have had several tenant houses. If they aren't still standing, or the current property owners can't direct you to the sites of them, you might be able to find them on old house site maps.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner,
Don't worry about the LC's. They will come. After all, you're hunting in the right spots to get 'em--and that's most of the battle.
Nice finds--I'd take an interesting coin any day of the week. I've never dug either one of those, so I think they're pretty darned cool.
Regards,
Buckleboy

Thanks BB. This one side of the house has really produced so far. I'm slowly working my way around to the back yard where the smoke shack and old kitchen are. I got my Tesoro back today from the shop. It has the bigger coil on it, so I'm good to go. Crappy cold rainy weather tomorrow, but I'll be back out there on Saturday like a diggin' fool. ;D
-MM-

Good luck on Saturday! With the ice here in KY, our Iron Brigade plans are on a temporary hiatus. :-\ Glad your Tesoro and you are back up and runnin' again.

You know, some folks wonder why they don't make great finds--yet they only dig once in a blue moon. You're a different kind of digger, buddy. Out there multiple times a week. THAT'S the way great finds are made. Ya gotta spend some time diggin' to get the good stuff.

Now I know you mentioned the property around the house (yard and all)...I don't think you said anything about fields around the house. With the CW history there, if there are fields, you know where I'd be going after the yard was cashed out... ;)

Another thing--this house (as old as it is) had to have had several tenant houses. If they aren't still standing, or the current property owners can't direct you to the sites of them, you might be able to find them on old house site maps.

Regards,
Buckleboy

Thanks BB.
I think I'm truly a MDA (metal detecting addict). I get out anytime I have even an hour or two of free time. These places right by work give me a BIG advantage, since I can hunt them at lunch. Guess what? It was cold and rainy here today, so instead of feeling sorry for myself, I followed up a lead on another old property. I got permission to hunt this old place built in 1838. It also has an old doctors office built in 1862. Again, this place I can hit at lunch.

As far as fields, there are fields, woods, and large dried streams behind this house. I've been so excited about what this yard is giving up, I haven't had time to poke around.
The owner has shown me where the old tenant house was. There is still stone pillar foundation there, part of the chimney, and an open deep well. It sits right by a large dried up river bed.
She also showed me where the outhouse is (still there, but falling in), and some old barn areas.
This place will take me all year+ I'm sure.
It's 65 & sunny here tomorrow, so I'll be hitting it hard all day!
Have a great w/end.
-Doug-

Attachments

• 1838 House.JPG
    1838 House.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 1862 Dr. Office.JPG
    1862 Dr. Office.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 281

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, MM! It's never to cold or rainy for some great old-fashoned Research. 2008 is gonna be your year, buddy.

Regards,

Buckleboy

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Finds

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Nice work, MM! It's never to cold or rainy for some great old-fashoned Research. 2008 is gonna be your year, buddy.
Regards,
Buckleboy

You know what else has been bugging me? I have three privies at two different 1800's plantation houses that I can dig out, but don't have the time. That's a two man job really. I'd love to look for old relics in those!
It really needs to get done before it gets hot here again. Bring a shovel and The Iron Brigade down. ;D
-Doug-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I gotta question. How many times per week are you late coming back from lunch? HMMM? :D

Another stunning post, MM!! Congrats on those finds! Nana :)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
OK. I gotta question. How many times per week are you late coming back from lunch? HMMM? :D

Another stunning post, MM!! Congrats on those finds! Nana :)

I'm afraid I can't answer that. Let's just say, I don't MISS work. ;)
Good luck this w/end.
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
Regards,
Buckleboy

You know what else has been bugging me? I have three privies at two different 1800's plantation houses that I can dig out, but don't have the time. That's a two man job really. I'd love to look for old relics in those!
It really needs to get done before it gets hot here again. Bring a shovel and The Iron Brigade down. ;D
-Doug-

LOL We're on our way! Nah--seriously, finding a time when my buddies are off work at the same time is quite difficult. We squeeze the detecting time in as best we can already.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread