Large Documented Treasures Remain on both Leocadia and Aguila Volante Wrecks

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When considering whether or not a wreck is economically viable and worth the expense and effort to search for and recover I have long found that it is always best before making a decision to set aside popular contemporary and usually un cited works of unaccredited hack historians about shipwrecks and instead seek out and deal as much as possible with any available primary source information pertaining to the subject or target of interest. In other words go to the source of the information in its rawest original form and don't rely on secondary sources which can often be biased, made up or presumptive and non objective.

In other words who cares what Marx or Potter either made up, copied, misquoted or imagined they leared from each other when the actual original accident report and salvage record written by the men who were present at the time of the wreck is available to be studied instead?

In this case a few so called arm chair experts have recently stated that the Leocadia wreck was essentially "cleaned out" by the Spanish and that contemporary pirates have finished the pickings and so nothing much more of note remains to be recovered. Actually, nothing could be further from the truth and the preponderance of evidence beggars otherwise.

According to primary source documents, in this case the actual salvage report which we hold a complete copy of, The Santa Leocadia wrecked at the Punta Santa Elena in late November 1800 and by January 1801 a large recovery operation was already underway to recover the 1.2 million registered pesos of gold and silver, as stated in the accident report, that had been on board.

By late April 1801, when the salvage effort was concluded due to the onset of heavy seasonal seas which also broke up and dispersed the main concentration of the remaining hull structure and made further recovery impossible, the total treasure recovered to that date was 940,000 pesos of the 1.2 million registered. The record further states that there was no resumption of salvage work the following season. Moreover, anyone familiar with the site would quickly understand why: 30 ft waves breaking upon it for weeks on end during certain months quickly disperses a wooden wreck and breaks any remaining structure to pieces.

Thus, according to the records, fully one sixth of the treasure was NOT recovered and the vast majority of that still remains scattered in sand pockets or trapped down in cracks and fissures buried on the site. By the way, 260,000 pesos in coin value is more coins than were carried on the Atocha and is equivalent to 2,340,000 (two million three hundred and forty thousand, 1 real coins or, if they were all eights, 292,500 eight real coins. That is also about 13.4 tons of silver or just about 2.5 tons less than the total of the recent snatch and grab recovery by Odyssey Marine. Further, according to the same original Spanish salvage report, half the artillery was also left un recovered as were most of the "artifacts."

Thus, the Santa Leocadia site is still very rich and anyone who claims otherwise is merely being opinionated and is devoid of fact. Moreover, in the course of examining past finds made by others on the site, I have noted at least 120 years of dates present in this numismatic assemblage with all denominations of coins representing three mints being present on the wreck. This seems unusual however since my past experience on other coin wrecks never produced much more than 30 or 40 years of dates anterior to the time of the actual wreck date. Thus, besides the numismatic evidence that there could possibly be at least two wrecks at the same location, not to mention possibly over one million individual coins of all denominations still left to be recovered just from the Leocadia horde alone, one can only wonder what else is lost in there? Anchors from two different periods are also present on the site which also add fuel to a second wreck theory.

Meanwhile, In light of both the historic documentation and contemporary tangible evidence, I think anyone's investors would be happy to be locked into such a wreck lease.

Meanwhile, my recent research into contemporary events at this site, along interviews with numerous persons on both sides of the law (and who shall all remain nameless), and between legitimate salvers and known pirates picking at the site (which itself is a large area which has never before been digitally mapped before I came along and which survey was performed legally and under supervision of naval personnel) , I doubt if more than 3000-4000 coins have ever been recovered from the site in the past by both legal and illegal operations and that figure itself is being very liberal.

However, even if that number were inflated by a factor of ten it would still leave behind a huge treasure left to be recovered by any standard. Also, just at today's silver value of $17 oz, melted down and sold at scrap, what remains of silver alone at the Leocadia site is worth around 5 million dollars. Nice coins bring a lot more, we all know and there are gold coins from the periods of Carlos II and III are present, too. Coins from Potosi, Lima and the rare Santiago Mint have all been noted as have been rare Luis I pieces and so the site retains exciting potential.

Finally, there is another far richer and older wreck located less than a mile from the Santa Leocadia site also inside the same exclusive lease area we currently are managing under contract and so in that regard anyone who wonders why a person would waste time on some thing as paltry as the Leocadia is absolutely correct.

The Leocadia is indeed just a small prize by comparison with what remains the Aiguilar Volante (only 30% recovered), which location we have also recently site surveyed with mag and have mapped the undisturbed wreck site. This other ship, when lost, was transporting the only mint production in 1698 of Cuzco gold coins ever produced along with a mass of other Lima gold and silver which are still frequently found on only a specific beach here after storms and our investors are thrilled by the prospects and the evidence accumulated to date. (Regarding Cuzco gold: read Dr Alan Craig's chapter on Cuzco gold in his book on the Florida gold collection) Meanwhile,regarding the Leocadia, one may read the opinions of self proclaimed arm chair know-it-alls, or one may read the words on the last page of the summary of the Spanish salvage report I have attached below. Let the reader decide which be more convincing. Enjoy.

Saludos,
Patrimony

Attachments

• 260,000 Pesos Unrecovered.jpg
    260,000 Pesos Unrecovered.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 1,040
OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent Pictures of the Leocadia site during an unusually strong lunar tide last month. Those are 30 ft waves rolling across the site and breaking 1500 ft off the beach in 18 ft of water and throwing spum a 100 ft in the air, (not on the shore) and viewed from out to sea on a boat behind the waves looking into shore. The bottom is bare sand or rock and nothing lives there and not even the toughest sea life can take hold on the rocks and survive in that place due to the constant rushing and pounding. However, even on workable days the site is dangerous and not for the faint of heart or novice diver and will give even the strongest and most experienced diver a test of all his courage and skill. I have been in and out of there diving on five occaisions this year buoying and collecting GPS positions on the anchors, timber, etc and plotting locations of big rocks we don't want to hit with the boat, etc , and my endurance was stretched to the limit each time. This is one of the few places I have ever been worried while diving. Especially worrisome when you grab a 200 lb slab to hold on as a big surge passes 20 ft above you and both you and the slab you are holding onto get dragged six feet. Like being in a washing machine for 45 minutes each time. Still, the site can be worked. P

Attachments

• Picture 527.jpg
    Picture 527.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 953
OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 ft wave rolling across Leocadia site.

Attachments

• Picture 528.jpg
    Picture 528.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 995
  • Picture 528.jpg
    Picture 528.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 921
  • Picture 528.jpg
    Picture 528.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 886

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks looking for proof of mistakes made in the past need go no farther that the spotswoods letter of oct 24th,1715 --which some "important" folks used to back their claim that a 1715 fleet vessel (the san miguel or french prize take your pick)went down in nassau sound ---near amelia island florida

if properly read the letter clearly and easily states --that a barcalonga* (bark wrong type of ship #1 mistake) was sent from havana to the wrecksites (sent to the wreck sites to recover vips and treasure so it must be after the 1715 wrecks occured #2 mistake and thus can not be from the original 1715 fleet #3 mistake) the vessel of course would still have a large amount of "important" 1715 type treasure recovered from the fleet aboard her as well as the vips and any of their goods recovered .and that it went down about 40 miles northward of st augustine --using the 1715 point on enterance / departue to the st augustine harbor it matches very nicely * with nassau sound.

the reason for the mix up is two earlier spanish statements statements that got co mingled with the english oct 24,th letter / report -

-one fron the pilot major that the "missing" 1715 fleet vessels broke ranks the day before the storm struck and thus were on a more northly course*

the second being the sept 20,1715 letter from admiral salmon -- that the missing vessels were feared broke up at sea in deep water due to the fact that wrecakage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the NORTH COAST of St Augustine thus they broke up in deep water off of st augustine and their wreckage drifted ashore there.

in research there are no sacred cows -- do your own research or get the flawed reports of others. --- Ivan

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you have something to do when you cant dive.

Bring those longboards!SURFS UP!

Lets see some pics of you guys surfing the big ones.

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one dives under those kinds of waves...not even the fish swim in there during such events. Nothing lives or grows in there. However there is a way to work the site relatively safely at certain times of the day and month but one must also be primed and ready and standing by off shore and waiting for those right moments to occur. Those correct times are certain days of the month and then only during two hours of certain particular days. This has to do with the tides and lunar cycle which are regular and predicted on local charts. That and and sitting on the cliffs above the site on and off for hours at certain times of the day over several months just watching to observe how the water behaves lead to realizations, since tested in practice, as to how and when it is safe to dive at this location. The site can be worked and does produce. p

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
in other words a local diver with the proper tools and skills ( and big stones) at the proper time ( luner tide cycle wize) could do very well there -- ie you got to know what your doing ---- Ivan

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just picked a random time to attempt to dive in this location there is a good chance you would not survive. There are also numerous underwater caves at the base of the cliffs around the point some which apparently extend inwards a hundred feet or more and if you got shoved into one of those it would be very hard to get out again. A few years ago it took 3 days for Ecuadorian Navy seals to extract the body of an American who got flushed into one of the caves. During a lull a navy diver with ropes tied to him, and held by persons waiting in a motor boat 200 ft off, entered the cave and placed a lasoo around the body and then both the diver and the body were dragged out by the motor boat. Spoke to the navy diver who performed the recovery about this incident and it makes my flesh crawl to think of it.
There is a perpetual current dragging everything in that direction and sometimes it accelerates rather rapidly and during one dive I became captured by it and before I knew it was drawn into the danger zone and bumping rocks and a feeling like I was going down a drain and so smartly surfaced to get my bearings and was shocked to find myself within only a hundred feet of the deadly point even though I had begun the dive 600 ft away and had believed I was going the opposite direction! It then took every thing left in me to stay out of there. Finally the motor boat raced in between breakers and tossed me a line and dragged me a thousand feet further out before stopping long enough to let me crawl aboard. I thought my hand was going to come off!
Another guy from Chile was not so lucky, though. According to an eye witness along at the time who later recounted the tale to me, the fellow was out there in a boat with Joe Barnett back in 2006 looking to poach a few coins and had bragged he could dive anywhere and under any conditions and dove the site anyway after the others including Barnett had advised him not to attempt it that day. He disregarded wise advice and was never seen again at all. However, I did spot a rotten dive booty wedged under a ledge during one of my dives this year.....Made me wonder? p

Attachments

• Rebecca.jpg
    Rebecca.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 646

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there are places in the world that kill "treasure hunting" fools ---those who write checks with their mouth their behinds can't cover or try to "balls" their way thru things you really should not -- there is a fine line where even the tough guys say "nope thats stupid" -- this place sounds like one of them -- only a wize and careful man in excellant shape with good gear at the proper time -- (and not ate up with greed )-- should try this one. (its a killer)

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have not lived until you have almost died.

Attachments

• Picture 427.jpg
    Picture 427.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 683

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
been there a few times -- but a wize man does not grab a deadly snake with out care or he will not be doing it very often. :coffee2:

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We prefer to kill snakes rather than handle them or be at the mercy of them and regarding this site I believe we may have found a way to do just that. After studying the underwater topography of the site it was determined that there is an area about 200 x 300 ft in size which is a few feet under sand and under which it seems that much of the wreck material has ended up in abundance. It is a low area that drops about 10 ft down between two rolling underwater ridges which are spaced 200 ft apart and we have dubbed it the "sand trap." The "sand trap" is hard to work or stay in though because there is almost nothing to hold onto and a diver will get quickly swept across it or rolled back and forth the width faster than he can begin to extract a detected target of which the area is reported by some who have lived to tell the tale, to be saturated with: Silver at 5 inches, gold at 8 inches big clumps down a foot and a half, etc...that anyway according to the few who have managed to scoop out a few hand fulls before the next passing wave 20 ft above dragged them away five yards or flushed them towards the drain. What to do?

Came up with a plan, but yet to atempt it, to sink half an oil drum at each end of the sand trap and fill each half drum with rocks so it sits good and tight and does not move even under the mightiest of passing waves and then tie and stretch a one inch nylon rope between the two barrel halfs. This should allow a diver to pull himself across the area methodically and to have something to hold onto and remain in situ to as he sweeps with detector or pauses to extract. Then, after laying the first line the width of one end of the sand trap and after each line is searched out, the two barrel ends and rope would be simply moved a few yards further west and the entire process repeated until the entire area has been cleansed. We will attempt to deploy the barrels and line and carry out this plan in the days ahead when the operation ramps up into a full recovery phase, that and attempt to back a blow boat into the area..but don't attempt this stunt at home kids.

Picture of artifact below is one of several hundred numerous large and small objects removed over a year ago from the "sand trap" by a local pirate who was diving solo of which we were allowed to examine and photograph after we recently tracked him down and convinced him to cooperate with us and share his information.

Attachments

• Picture 365.jpg
    Picture 365.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 595

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sounds like a plan -- ansd you need a good solid plan for a place like that -- yes it can be done , I sure (just about anything CAN be done really given the proper planning ) but be careful my friend -- watch out that you do not get so wrapped up with finding the silver that you lose track of time --seems you have a narrow window to be able to "safely" harvest items keep an eye on the clock or better yet have a man on top do it -- thats a team place really --solo hunting could be very very dangerous there

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Image of the Punta Santa Elena. The wreck is about 600 ft just east of south out off the rocks just opposite the point of the hook and opposite the little bay.

Attachments

• Punta Santa Elena- aka La Chocolatera.jpg
    Punta Santa Elena- aka La Chocolatera.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 898

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
a bit above the "o" in globe --- yep right along the wave -- that little break in the wave line that little water " boil" spot

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
A lot of people have read the 1930 tidal wave story regarding the Volante. There are a few of these Cuzco gold cobs around, as there are pictures of them in the Florida Collection book because they were found on Plate Fleet wrecks, and were given in division to the State of Florida. But perhaps the bulk of the Cuzco mint's 1698 production was on this ship.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The wreck of the Santa Leocadia is a fascinating event and, as Patrimonio states, it is very well documented. At least 122 pages of a dossier on the wrecking and the salvaging are now online (AGI,Lima,1440,N.3)

Attachments

• 33525313.jpg
    33525313.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 33525363.jpg
    33525363.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 33525387.jpg
    33525387.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 33525403.jpg
    33525403.jpg