large dollar question

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I haven't looked really. I asked a couple of times but not too much luck. I wouldn't know what to look for at any rate.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
And heck, next year they are going to begin minting a new series of dollar coins with 4 dead presidents on them.

Why, I will never know.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Asked plenty. No one had em. I turned in about $30 worth 6 months ago. None silver. I didn't realize peps would pay more for them or I would have kept em.

Rev

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
Postalrevnant said:
Asked plenty. No one had em. I turned in about $30 worth 6 months ago. None silver. I didn't realize peps would pay more for them or I would have kept em.

Rev
Ain't that the way it ussually goes, sell something then the value shots up there or the demand.

whitesid said:
all the times that i went to the bank they only had small dollar coins
i have only found 4 Ike's ever but a week later i sold them for 1.30 each

does any one ever have luck finding them
You do know some have 40%silver :)
Bring on the new coins more to go through and find all the old ones from, Just think if they made them the size of large dollars, then there would be a better chance of finding older morgans and such.
Best Regards, Ray

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to the bank a few weeks ago. The teller told me they had about $40 in Ikes. I bought them and had one 1971 40%. I was giving them to my son for allowance, and then buying them back from him when he wanted to spend them. But my brilliant wife took him, along with the Ikes to Game Stop and POOF! all 40 into the cash register!!

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What years were the Ike's silver and at what percentage?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
bobr said:

Bob:

In answer to your Eisenhower Dollar question, The large coin was minted in silver clad (40% silver) beginning in there first year of mintage, which was 1971, through the 1776-1976 Bi-centennial issue. Only coins with an "S" mintmark were available in silver clad, as well as the normal clad. You can tell the silver by looking at the edge. Normal mintage will have a two-tone look, copper/silver. Silver will not have the copper color. You can see the difference in these photos. The coin on the left is a 1971 "S" silver clad.
Notice how it appears whiter than the clad?

Note: The last mintage was the 1977 mintage, which was not available in silver clad.

Attachments

• 2006_1204Image00003.JPG
    2006_1204Image00003.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 2006_1204Image00004.JPG
    2006_1204Image00004.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 456

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the info Neil. You do a great job of explaining it.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil in West Jersey said:
bobr said:

Bob:

In answer to your Eisenhower Dollar question, The large coin was minted in silver clad (40% silver) beginning in there first year of mintage, which was 1971, through the 1776-1976 Bi-centennial issue. Only coins with an "S" mintmark were available in silver clad, as well as the normal clad. You can tell the silver by looking at the edge. Normal mintage will have a two-tone look, copper/silver. Silver will not have the copper color. You can see the difference in these photos. The coin on the left is a 1971 "S" silver clad.
Notice how it appears whiter than the clad?

Note: The last mintage was the 1977 mintage, which was not available in silver clad.

Great info and photos Neil.

They were actually lasted minted in '78, and the '73 is the tough one to find, for they were only minted for Mint Sets (P & D) or Proof Sets (S).

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mountainman 2 said:
I just turned in 195.00 worth today. There was nothing in the batch worth keeping.
to the bank or coin store?

noebody

Dec 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE....Excalibur coming soon
MalteseFalcon said:
And heck, next year they are going to begin minting a new series of dollar coins with 4 dead presidents on them.

Why, I will never know.

Was told last wednesday these new dollars (at least one of the type} are in banks now, just cannot release them till the 15th if this month.

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
noebody said:
MalteseFalcon said:

Why, I will never know.

Was told last wednesday these new dollars (at least one of the type} are in banks now, just cannot release them till the 15th if this month.
my bank told me the 18th

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
They are in my comanies change machines now :)
but have not gotten them yet a fllow employee told me about it.
Best Regards, Ray

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one 1971 Ike. A teller was holding it for me when I went to pick up a box. I always ask at every bank but no luck on the large dollars.

Frank C

Sep 9, 2005
N.W. Az.
Detector(s) used
Minelab P.I., Nokta vlf.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bank has had quite a few lately. Over the past month or so I have picked up $400 in Ikes I have over $500 sitting in Mason Jars now. I think I want to save $1000 in them and use them on a down payment for a car.
That will get the Sales rep going good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread