large dollar question

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I've only been CRHing for a month now, but I've had great luck with Ikes --- over 400 so far. They sometimes come in large groups, I've noticed. No silver Ikes yet. Infact, this weekend, no silver halves, either. Arghh!! I did get my silver fix by finding some extremely inexpensive old sterling silverware at an antique store, but it's just not the same. haha. Tomorrow's a new day, though. :)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whitesid said:
noebody said:
MalteseFalcon said:
And heck, next year they are going to begin minting a new series of dollar coins with 4 dead presidents on them.

Why, I will never know.

Was told last wednesday these new dollars (at least one of the type} are in banks now, just cannot release them till the 15th if this month.
my bank told me the 18th

The main bank I deal with had them available last week (Thursday). I purchased a whole roll. These were the new Washington dollars. The rims on these coins are so cool looking. They have "In God We trust" & the "E Plurbus Unum" thing printed on the outside rim. I plan to buy a roll of all the presidents which will run through the year 2013 I think it is with Nixon being the last one.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No ikes for me today either... I did buy a roll of SBA. The reason being is I am going to pay my kids this week there $5 allowance in them. Can't wait to see their faces, because they've never seen em before. They are going to think I am giving them quarters. lol

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
No ikes for me today either... I did buy a roll of SBA. The reason being is I am going to pay my kids this week there $5 allowance in them. Can't wait to see their faces, because they've never seen em before. They are going to think I am giving them quarters. lol
lol, yesterday at the fishing show i bought something that was .50 so0 i payed the guy with a half dollar. he had a big smile on his face and i could see that he put it to the side :D then everytime i walked past his table he smiled at me.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
bobr said:
What years were the Ike's silver and at what percentage?

Bob:

In answer to your Eisenhower Dollar question, The large coin was minted in silver clad (40% silver) beginning in there first year of mintage, which was 1971, through the 1776-1976 Bi-centennial issue. Only coins with an "S" mintmark were available in silver clad, as well as the normal clad. You can tell the silver by looking at the edge. Normal mintage will have a two-tone look, copper/silver. Silver will not have the copper color. You can see the difference in these photos. The coin on the left is a 1971 "S" silver clad.
Notice how it appears whiter than the clad?

Note: The last mintage was the 1977 mintage, which was not available in silver clad.

Great info and photos Neil.

They were actually lasted minted in '78, and the '73 is the tough one to find, for they were only minted for Mint Sets (P & D) or Proof Sets (S).

Stopped by a couple of banks over lunch today. Only one half ('73D) but picked up eleven Ikes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread