Large hammerstone part of bannerstone?two points found near siep mound

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Hi folks, I live about half mile frow hwy 41 in Ohio, I took a 60 mile day trip.On or very near this winding,hilly road 30 miles from home is TheGreatSerpent Mound in Adams Co. Afew miles farther is The Fort Hill site. Then another few miles is Siep Mound.I walked along the Scioto river and came up on an old soybean field and had a really good huntin day.The hammerstone looks as if no plow damage, just usage marks. I found what appears to be part of a bannerstone. Any suggestions would be welcome. and last but not least the two points. what would you call the lonng base one Thanks Jeff

Attachments

• Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 424
  • Picture 36.jpg
    Picture 36.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 438
  • Picture 38.jpg
    Picture 38.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Picture 39.jpg
    Picture 39.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Nice ones Jeff! Looks like you have found a really good place. That big stemmed point may be a Big Sandy? Definitely keep looking around there. I look forward to seeing what else you will find in there!

Good luck!

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
justgeese said:
Nice road trip Jeff...Always wanted to hunt to big fields north of Portsmouth along the river..bound to be some goodies in there
Don
If I can find out who owns what and get permission I believe there is a good chance of finding some nice artifacts.Siep Mound is a huge mound 63 feet high,120 ft. long. It is surronded with soybean and cornfieds. I,ll be lookin for owners and hopefully find time to go back in a month or so. Had you ever hunted the bottoms below greeup damn near railroad bridge? Jeff

kybriarbuster

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2007
i have hunted the greenup river bottoms for years and have many treasures from them but due to proerty changing hands and mcdonalds bags and cups left by people searching its very hard to get permission. one farm i hunt has a barn made of chestnut logs and has 2 old flatboats inside the owner says they used to get mules across the river when it was too high to wade. a couple of graves on the farm were marked 1794
mother and 3 day old daughter. this farm has been in his family for over 100 yrs. and he didnt know they were there. sam

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
badandy said:
Can't tell for sure, but the first two pics. look like a broken celt or axe head. What's the material?
badandy

I'm going to have to go with Andy on this one. It looks like the broken bit of what we call a "Toy" axe. I'd keep hitting that field. it looks like you have a winner and what ever that is in the first picture there is a good chance the rest of it is in that field.

xstevenx

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
badandy said:
Can't tell for sure, but the first two pics. look like a broken celt or axe head. What's the material?
badandy
Thanks Andy but I,m not sure my pics tell much. All I have is my web cam.It appears much bigger in picture.It is only an inch wide and flat on one side.I have seen some toy axes . If you have the book Indian Artifacts of The Midwest by Lar Hothem look up plate88. It also looks like a chisel as well, though it may well be some type of celt.I found another just like it 20 yrs. or so back. I,ll try to find it and then use my fiancee,s camera and get better pic. Thanks so much for your oplnion. happy huntin Jeff

OP
OP
O

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Johnny X said:
badandy said:
badandy

I'm going to have to go with Andy on this one. It looks like the broken bit of what we call a "Toy" axe. I'd keep hitting that field. it looks like you have a winner and what ever that is in the first picture there is a good chance the rest of it is in that field.

xstevenx
Well I beleive you and Andy may be right on this one. I saw a toy axe today and what I have looks to have been a part of one. That,s why I enjoy this site. I,me learning all the time,making my hobby more interesting having a place to share thoughts and ideas. Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions