Last ditch effort for halves...

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
So I'm always complaining about the lack of halves around here, and I think I finally found out why yesterday. Apparently, some older fellow would order $3k every week from 5 different branches ($15k a week!) and search through it. He did this for about 2 years, according to a teller I talked to. He stopped about 8 months ago, I started about 4 months later and really haven't found much.

I decided to try one last time to see if I can't find any solid silver boxes of halves. I had a bank nearby, but in a district I've only ordered $2k in halves from (over 4 months, all skunks) order me $5k. I'm gonna take care of 'em next week, and we'll see what happens. If I don't find jack as has been the usual lately, I'm done roll searching halves. Too disappointed and discouraged after seeing not only some of the great finds by others here, but by the consistency of pulls by some of you guys. I'll probably be posting the results in this thread, so... wish me luck?

At any rate, I'm really at my wits end in regards to halves, and equally disappointed I didn't discover this hobby a few years ago.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It takes some hard work and dedication to this hobby. Remember it is still just a hobby. If you don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt, then find something that you enjoy in your spare time. Perhaps halves aren't for you, but dimes might be an untapped source. People turn a blind eye towards dimes, but they are out there for the picking. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ltrain

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Diver_Down said:
It takes some hard work and dedication to this hobby. Remember it is still just a hobby. If you don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt, then find something that you enjoy in your spare time. Perhaps halves aren't for you, but dimes might be an untapped source. People turn a blind eye towards dimes, but they are out there for the picking. Good luck.
Don't get me wrong, I've put quite a bit into searching for halves... there's just none left around here.

Dimes are my focus right now, and will probably continue to be so for the forseeable future, unless something changes in regards to halves. I love the thrill of the hunt, but when I have been trying for four months and have barely found a full roll of 90%'s, it's frustrating. Then I come on here and read a post about someone who gets two full stacks and a whole bunch of 40's on their very first try. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but when am I gonna get some luck like that?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get some luck like that, please let me know what you did.

The bank that was ordering me a box on a not regular schedule has not produced much. When i make a road trip out of town like last Friday and hit every bank i see and some i had to hunt for, one bank had 1 half. Another had 4. some had zero. One bank i went to went into the vault to see if they had any. She sold me $5.00 worth, that was the high light of the stops. They contained 1 40%. Another town, went to the main branch where i had bought halves before, the old witch behind the counter, said sure how many do you want? Told here i would take what ever i could get, then the question,"do you have an account?". Well, she got on her broom and said we do not give change to people who do not have an account. Went to their drive up bank 2 blocks away, and got almost $500.00 in brinks rolls. It was all they had. Real nice people. Total take for the day, 4 halves worth keeping out of about $1600.00.

I too am waiting to hit at least a decent box, or roll, or bag or what ever. I keep trying. It does give some motivation when it know that the silver content of one 90% half is worth over $7.00.

Sorry to ramble, just thought i would let you know that you are not by yourself.

Bob

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ltrain said:
Diver_Down said:
Don't get me wrong, I've put quite a bit into searching for halves... there's just none left around here.

Dimes are my focus right now, and will probably continue to be so for the forseeable future, unless something changes in regards to halves. I love the thrill of the hunt, but when I have been trying for four months and have barely found a full roll of 90%'s, it's frustrating. Then I come on here and read a post about someone who gets two full stacks and a whole bunch of 40's on their very first try. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but when am I gonna get some luck like that?

Called beginners luck. Some start off in areas where no one has searched. Their finds will dry up just like yours have. No one guaranteed you are going to find silver all the time. When they are gone, they are gone.

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California
I have had very little luck with halves in my area (1 40% per 1K searched).

I have much better luck with dimes (1 90% per box on average). They are clear wrapped, so I can edge sort and only bust open the rolls with silver. Plus , I take the boxes to my dump bank and desposit them. I dropped off $750 yesterday and was out in under 2 min. The teller did not even open the boxes. Much better than hauilng in a bunch of halves to the teller to dump in the machine.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wah wah wah

We live in a "microwave" world!

We want our 24 month CD to mature in 18 months.

We want our 12 year old scotch in 6 years.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. As long as you are not paying fees, or getting shorted in your rolls, every silver you fing is a bonus.

Skunk boxes, cranky tellers and competition are all a part of this hobby. How you deal with them is up to you.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain Ltrain.

I quit the half boxes in my area too. One 40%er for every 1.5 boxes searched didn't seem worth the effort. I still ask for halves when I get a chance to go into a bank, but now the only boxes I'm getting are nickel boxes. I have a lot of fun searching them and picking out the occasional silver, buff, and putting together my '38-'61 book.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LTrain,

CRHing has a lot of parables to real estate: i.e. - Location, Location, Location!!! :laughing7: You may be in an area that has a lot of competition or there may be a lot of silver knowledgeable tellers or it may not be as economically depressed so not a lot of grandpa or grandma's coins are being turned in. At any rate, I am new to this hobby too and have had mixed results - some weeks have been depressing but others have been amazing. Like others in this thread have said, as long as the silver is "free", just roll with it - pun intended. :laughing9: This hobby is fun and is a great stress reliever for me - hopefully this hobby isn't giving you any stress!

I too have have been green with envy reading about all of these other CRHers amazing finds, bonanza bags, dream boxes, etc. but I have stuck with it and guess what - I scored big yesterday with a dream roll of silver dimes!!! You will score big too my friend, just hang in there and enjoy the ride!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

p.s. - Like you I think I am hooked on dimes now too and will start ordering a few boxes a week in addition to my halves!!! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Ltrain

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Alright, here's my numbers for halves;

I have now searched about $21k in halves, from loose to boxed.

I have found 25 90%'s, and 76 40%'s. That's one in every 400 coins being silver... an average of about 2.5 per box. Not too bad... however, if you take out my road trip halves and just look at the boxes... 2 walkers, 4 bens, 11 '64's, and 37 40's in $17k. One in one thousand coins are silver. And it's just getting worse... the last 11 boxes have been skunks, and that's 17 of the last 20.

So if these ten suck, I'm jumping back over to dimes, which consistently yield higher. First five boxes arrive tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
Ltrain

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Apparently they can only order 2 boxes at a time. But those two boxes actually yielded my first 90% in quite a while... first box had the 90 and 5 40's, the second had only 1 40. They're gonna keep ordering boxes for me.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I get the sense that everything is drying up.. halves are drying up.. after getting multiple skunks.. my last dime box was a skunk too... dime boxes is ok and easier to do but the amount of Ag you get by weight is less and it's less profitable. Ordering 5 boxes of dimes and getting 8 90% dimes is not worth it for me. I do get a box of dimes whenever I dump so if I get any it helps with gas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread