Last Few Outings - Lots of Silver, 10 Yesterday Alone!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Iā€™ve still been managing to get out a bit, usually about once a week now. Hard to keep up with everything. Iā€™ve got a pile of clad that needs a good rinse this morning.

Anyways, Iā€™ve had a bit of luck detecting lately, especially yesterday! Iā€™ll post my last few outings here.

8/21/20

Got together with forum member Echoplex to try a few spots out. First place was a bust and the second place had the dreaded sign of old sod, the plastic mesh webbing.

We were about to give up when I found a Merc (45-S) just under the webbing. Good thing we didnā€™t give up either because I also found a buffalo nickel (36-S) and a Rosie (52-S) there.

I tried out one more spot on the way home and what I lacked in old coins it made up for in relics. I got a brass tag that reads ā€œMeijiya Co 177ā€, a ā€œUS PSRā€ (Postal Service) cufflink and a thimble with reads ā€œPay Less Dress Better Pacific Outfitting Co.ā€

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

8/23/20

Got out for a little hunt with forum member NoThisIsPatrick. It was pretty brutal. We struck out at a number of places for a couple of hours and finally decided to try an old spot that had given it up in the past. My day was saved at the end by pulling a 48-S Rosie.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

8/28/20

Yesterday ucsgdavis and I got together to check out some old sites of interest. We noticed a nearby teardown about to occur, talked to the residents and got the green light. I picked up a Rosie (53-S) pretty early on and he got a stellar coin right off the bat. I donā€™t want to steal his thunder in case he wants to post about it but I was jealous.

A little ways into being there I was getting a 33-36 on the Nox 800 at about 5 notches down. It was a good repeatable signal and pretty tight. I knew that was a good sign but was bummed when all I got was a small iron washer.

I scanned again and the signal was still there but now more in the sidewall. I had Keith cold check it and he thought it sounded juicy too.

I was trying to be careful rooting around in the sidewall and I pulled the dirt out an Pinpointer a Merc! I was thinking that was pretty great, but also odd that it would ring so consistently high for that.

So I check the dirt pile again and a second Merc. Hell yeah! I started to wonder if there could be even more so I checked the hole again and it went off!

Adjustments.jpg

I got 5 Mercs from that little hole and thought that was it. I put the plug back and swung and was getting some crazy signals 6 inches away. I pulled up a little junk and then...more silver! 2 more Mercs and a GW!

Adjustments.jpg

I then proceeded to chase every signal in a several foot radius and managed to find one more Merc. So someone lost 9 silver coins worth $1.05 in ~1943 and didnā€™t notice and no one else did either? Crazy! I wonder if maybe it was a lost coin purse that has since rotted away. I guess Iā€™ll never know.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Other notable finds yesterday included a marble, military button and 17 (common date) wheat pennies. Dates on the silvers are:
-Mercs; 23, 28-S, 36-S, 41-S, 41-S, 41-S, 41-S, 42
-Rosie: 53-S
-Washington: 43-S

So thatā€™s how the 10 silver coins came to be. Pretty wild. My best day previously is 6 which Iā€™ve hit a couple times.

Always a good reminder to keep swinging and never give up because you donā€™t know whatā€™s right around the corner!!

Thanks for looking all and happy hunting.
-W

Upvote 39

uscgdavis

Aug 5, 2019
WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday was a great day! Unbelievable, finding all that silver in one hole. If I hadn't been there, I would have had a hard time believing it! Great find, man. Had fun hunting with you, as always. My find for the day was a 1928 SLQ. Only my third ever. And first with a date! Also got 11 wheats. 20200828_184730.jpg 20200828_184603.jpg

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great pile of silver! Congratulations to both of you! Thanks for inspiring us!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ten silvers in one hunt is quite the accomplishment Wash but Iā€™m sure you will beat that record soon enough. Good luck in the next one, HH.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Thanks so much all! Keith, that SLQ is awesome. They are so hard to come by, itā€™s amazing you have found 3 this year alone.

Thank you all for the kind words. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll ever top 10 silver coins in a day but Iā€™ll keep trying!! :)

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real good day in anybody's book! Congrats! Now go back and find that broken piggy bank laying 10 feet away..:laughing7:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well well Mr Washingtonian you are on fire I havenā€™t had a successful dig as you. As far as Silver goes Iā€™ve always just found one at a time on each hunt for some reason. Youā€™ve had much success great job and keep them coming!! Congratulations

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting, congrats! :occasion14:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I'd say that you've had quite a few good hunts this month! :occasion14:
Congrats on all those beautiful silvers.

I love the look of this tag too, is there a makers name on the back?
Looks like a baggage tag of sorts :icon_scratch: have you done any online research on what the Meijiya Co. was?

Dave

Attachments

• Adjustments-crop.jpg
    Adjustments-crop.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 64

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31ā€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Mr. WaRshintonian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are definitely pushing the silver coin envelope! Where are you at FTY?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread