Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I was able to hunt briefly (45 min) at the farm I've posted about in the past, and I found a couple more buttons that I'm hoping you'll offer some comments on. You've taught me a lot about buttons, but these two are a little different (again) so I need a little help.

The one that really has me stumped is the smaller one (18mm) which appears to have "Old English Font" letters on it. I see an "S" at the 1:00 position if it were a clock, and maybe a "C" or "T" at 2:00 (in Old English the T looks like a C). The next one is maybe an "L"??? followed by another letter that should be an "O", but Old English "O's" aren't symmetrical like this letter is. After that letter that could be an "O" looks like the base of an "A" and then maybe a "G" at the 5:00 position, but I'm not sure.

"STLOAG" doesn't mean anything to me...so I'm guessing I got some letters wrong. And there are others to the left of the "S" (i.e. at the 10:00 and 11:00 positions).
At the 7:00 position it says "stand" in normal text.

Any thoughts on this one? Could the Old English font's letters be a makers mark or something? I searched for pictures of a button like this, but failed to find much.

Qtjf2g3.jpg

Here's a picture of that smaller button with the other button I found, a 23mm one (which is an odd size for this location). That 23mm one says "Double Gilt" and has three stars on the back; the front is plain. I believe this is a typical mid-19th century button, nothing too special. Correct?

XAYzX5v.jpg

And one more picture for you: this is of the area where I normally detect, which is now covered in pumpkins! (the yellow circled area)
Today's finds were from the foreground of the picture, pretty close to the well (red arrow, which is a modern cap over the very old well) because I obviously can't get in amongst the pumpkin vines any more. The owner tells me that by late September the vines will be mostly dead and I'll be able to get back in there where the "good stuff" is.

qsGpAkM.jpg

Thanks for looking!

- Brian

Last edited:
Upvote 6
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, good luck in the fall! :occasion14:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI with a bit more searching I found this previous TNet post that seems to involve the same button I found with the Old English script.

According to TheCannoballGuy, "The backmark on your 1-piece flat button says "Best Strong" (in Old English Script lettering) and "STANDd" (which is the abbreviation for the the British button industry's "Standard Quality" rating).

Being a British-made 1-piece brass flat button with an "indented lettering" backmark, but found in America, means it dates from sometime between 1810 to the late-1830s."

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/319740-pewter-button-back-mark-other-button.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread