johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the marsh one last time today for a couple of hours to the area where I'd been finding War of 1812 buttons and the swagger stick tip. There was just too much inspiration on the board not to give it a last try (thanks for the inspiration! :D :icon_thumleft:) It was a little easier to gain access to some higher places, as the ground had frozen over in spots and I could jump from island to island without sinking in. Aside from shotgun shells, this was the only find, but I'm mighty happy to have found it. I'm pretty sure its a shoulder bar from the 1812 period, but I hope some of the Rev War and 1812 war experts can chime in. It is quite heavy, with some of the gold gilt still remaining on the front and back. a design of leaves circles the single bar. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• shoulder bar dirty1.jpg
    shoulder bar dirty1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 644
  • shoulder bar back1.jpg
    shoulder bar back1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 627
  • shoulder bar clean1.jpg
    shoulder bar clean1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is what it looks like to me, most likely War of 1812 but could be earlier. Very nice Find :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Yes, that is what it looks like to me, most likely War of 1812 but could be earlier. Very nice Find :wink: :wink:

Thanks man, but I'm not as sure as I was ten minutes ago. From the depth I pulled it, it is definately that old or older (good strata to read here which makes dating pretty easy) but I can't find an example yet. I'd assumed an epaulet mount because the four prongs seem designed for cloth, and of course the gold bar itself. but maybe it could have been mounted on something besides the shoulder?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, :icon_scratch:I dont know,it does appear to have been used on a strap or a belt.I cant put my finger on it,thinking shoulder epaulet too?

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf2000 said:
Superb find Johnny :thumbsup: :headbang:

Thanks man, but congrats might be premature until I can figure this dern thing out. I'm waiting for some input on a couple other places, but this is such an oddball it might be a long wait. Right now it looks like I might have something to keep me busy while I wait for the ground to thaw :D

U

umrgolf

johnnyi said:
umrgolf2000 said:
Superb find Johnny :thumbsup: :headbang:

Thanks man, but congrats might be premature until I can figure this dern thing out. I'm waiting for some input on a couple other places, but this is such an oddball it might be a long wait. Right now it looks like I might have something to keep me busy while I wait for the ground to thaw :D

Keep us updated.. if thats what it ends up being, that would be awesome

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
johnnyi, I could be seeing this wrong- but does what I have circled appear to be part of a hinge??

Attachments

• shoulder_bar_back1.jpg
    shoulder_bar_back1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
scratcher said:
johnnyi, I could be seeing this wrong- but does what I have circled appear to be part of a hinge??

Scratcher, yes, that is a hinge. I've been pondering this thing all day and I am at a loss. I've abandoned the idea of anything shoulder related, and I'm hovering around sash decoration of some sort that was pre-victorian but not necessarily military (althoughto me it does look masculine). The border of laurel leaves, coupled with the weight and clasp have me still a little hopeful. Although that is a hinge, I've discovered another "circle " remaining on the other side which suggest another pin went through there also (possibly indicating a semi-permanent mounting of some kind) Here's a shot and you can see the remains of that circle on the opposite side of the hinge. I've pretty thoroughly searched for any victorian sash ornament, as well as the remote possibility of the great-grandmother of all barrettes, but no luck yet.

Attachments

• clasp backview1a.jpg
    clasp backview1a.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 305
  • clasp end view1.JPG
    clasp end view1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 296

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
johnnyi said:
scratcher said:

Scratcher, yes, that is a hinge. I've been pondering this thing all day and I am at a loss. I've abandoned the idea of anything shoulder related, and I'm hovering around sash decoration of some sort that was pre-victorian but not necessarily military (althoughto me it does look masculine). The border of laurel leaves, coupled with the weight and clasp have me still a little hopeful. Although that is a hinge, I've discovered another "circle " remaining on the other side which suggest another pin went through there also (possibly indicating a semi-permanent mounting of some kind) Here's a shot and you can see the remains of that circle on the opposite side of the hinge. I've pretty thoroughly searched for any victorian sash ornament, as well as the remote possibility of the great-grandmother of all barrettes, but no luck yet.

Now I get it. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread