Last hunt of 2008 - screwed up my knee but had a good day

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
My son Kenny (kenny161) and I went out to the campgrounds on Monday for a few hours. We figured we'd hit it Monday, and then again on Wednesday the 31st which would be our last hunt of the year. Unfortunately, I woke up Tuesday morning and could hardly walk on my left leg - my knee was all screwed up. Not sure what I did to it, but it was killing me all day long Tuesday, and still not so great today (Wednesday) so we won't be going out today after all.

But, as for Monday's hunt, any day I can detect with my son where he makes some great finds is a good day in my book. Kenny ended up doing better than I did - I'll have him put up a post later today.

Here's Kenny hard at it...

IMG_9711.jpg

I went all afternoon with no silver, and it was getting time to leave. Kenny packed it up and went to the car to wait for me. I told him I wanted to check out a new area that I hadn't gone over yet, and I'd be there in about 20 minutes. I'm glad I checked it out, as I ended up seeing that lovely bright silver against the dark earth...

IMG_9716.jpg

Here is my total haul for the afternoon (less a couple of aluminum cans)...

IMG_9719.jpg

And cleaned up...

IMG_9720.jpg

Turns out my lovely silver was a 1964 Washington quarter - oh well, silver is silver, right???

IMG_9723.jpg

But my best find of the day was this little piece of brass that was folded over and had block lettering on it - "QUMSD" where the US was larger font than the QMD. I did a quick google on it when I got home, and discovered that this is the tip of a US QuarterMaster Department web dress belt. Based on the research results, it is either WWI or post Spanish-American War / Pre WWI. It was found on what I now refer to as "bridle hill" where I've found two bridle rosettes - one a lead filled brass US Cavalry rosette - and some other pieces of bridle hardware and leather.

IMG_9724.jpg

So, this ends 2008 which was probably my best year ever detecting. While my finds don't come close to comparing to most of the other regulars here, I had a blast and always stay optimistic that the next awesome find is waiting just around the corner and in many cases is something you'd least expect given where you are detecting at the time.

Happy Hunting in 2009 to everyone here! I'll be spending New Year's Eve nursing my sore knee and writing down my detecting goals for 2009.

Jim

Upvote 0

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Good finds........here's hoping for a quick heal! :thumbsup:

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on the silver quarter!! I'll take a 64 over a 65, or a darned 67 any day of the year!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a GREAT hunt, Jim! :thumbsup: Hope ya feel better soon. :)

happynewyear.gif

Nana~

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
That QUMSD piece is very cool. Is that a buckle, or what exactly was it made for? Looks unusual, and given its age, its a very groovey find!

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Narthoniel said:
That QUMSD piece is very cool. Is that a buckle, or what exactly was it made for? Looks unusual, and given its age, its a very groovey find!

It is a tip for the belt on the opposite end as the buckle. It kept the web or woven belt from fraying on the end, and made it simple to thread the end of the belt through the buckle.

It is pretty cool. Now I need to go back and find the buckle ;D

Here is a pic of a complete belt where you can see the end piece I found...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130274898230

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread