Last Weeks Creek Find

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Week's Creek Find

Yall know that I find some unusual rocks all together. This one stuck out like a sore thumb. I am going ahead and saying that I have discussed this item with someone locally and I've emailed some pictures off to another person. Once I get a response from this individual I will know for sure what I wanna do with it. These pictures are the exact ones I emailed for observation. This thread is open to all opinions. I will not say anything unless I have to answer a question or something. I have an idea on the type and the material already. Only thing I ask is, what does this forum suggest it could be? The creek I found it is located about 8 miles south of Pilot Mtn, which is part of the Sauratown Mtn range. Also, it is about 5 miles north of a well advanced Woodland period village named Donnaha. Wake Forest University actually has certain areas posted there along the Yadkin River b/c of it's archaeological significance.

Attachments

• 0611131713a.jpg
    0611131713a.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 0611131713.jpg
    0611131713.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 0618132346a.jpg
    0618132346a.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 0618132346.jpg
    0618132346.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 0618132350a.jpg
    0618132350a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 132

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should read the thread in the artifact forum.. it's GREAT!

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you are familiar with an expedient tool you would know it's impractical. It's a NC used, aged and weathered hand axe made of meta-sandstone that don't weather like flint or rhyolite. This forum always opposes the expert's advice I speak to. I just want to test this place. I'm keeping it just b/c I have never seen a piece of quartz like this in my 20 years of field experience. It's completely worn out beyond recognition, the only shape visible is the pear shape. The Lord tests this forum to see what kind of believers are here and he knows it's the worldly things. Stop looking at it as if artifacts were in a paradise always. People had to make do with such things in nature here. I think this just shows how country really is. Life is more than gold!

I'm a professional and a collector. I have been collecting for many years, especially in North Carolina. That is a typical, "nature-made" rock. It's a nice find but to too significant.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conjunction of the week " Meta- sandstone"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you are familiar with an expedient tool you would know it's impractical. It's a NC used, aged and weathered hand axe made of meta-sandstone that don't weather like flint or rhyolite. This forum always opposes the expert's advice I speak to. I just want to test this place. I'm keeping it just b/c I have never seen a piece of quartz like this in my 20 years of field experience. It's completely worn out beyond recognition, the only shape visible is the pear shape. The Lord tests this forum to see what kind of believers are here and he knows it's the worldly things. Stop looking at it as if artifacts were in a paradise always. People had to make do with such things in nature here. I think this just shows how country really is. Life is more than gold!

so wich is it sandstone or quartz should prob reread what you type before you bash people on heres opinion secondly lets see your professionals opinion thats a rock ive found many like it it doesnt look anything like an axe it would have tool marks on it and im pretty sure ancient people were smart enough to make tools out of hard rocks

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
To my Kanookian friend bacon, yall is a multi purpose word.
There is" yall" and "all yall".
And Bigfoot, sorry dude, looks like yall just have a rock.

Upvote 0

ChrisNJ

Mar 23, 2013
Burlington County
Detector(s) used
CZ6a
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I am not a big rock or artifact guy and not typically one to kick others when they are down but that rock totally reminded me of my friend who would find a worn smooth large copper and stare at it for hours constantly trying to see new things in it that were not there in an attempt to id the thing.

Upvote 0

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
If I could vote on funniest thread this one would def. be in the top ten!! If you ask for an opinion, rest assured you are gonna get it on this site baby!! The good, the bad, and the ugly! Lol- is there a book somewhere that says if a rock "fits" in your hand it's an artifact? -- Artifact-- object showing signs of human workmanship or modification as distinguished from a natural object--

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as interesting as this is. He wont be answering your questions no time soon. Check out his profile pic as to what it says and then you will know what I mean.

Upvote 0

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
What does that mean? Saw what you were talkin about but dont really understand why that pops up?

Upvote 0

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someone lock this stupid thread please yall are idiots!
i just read this whole topic, can i have my 10 minutes back please?

Im not trying to be a smart ass or a professor in minerals. I do have an imagination that seriously runs wild and being veery honest and polite, all i see in that rock is a rock that is broken like one is from a rockslide being cracked and rolled under larger boulders and falling off a larger boulder shortly after striking the other larger than that boulder its mother boulder hit.

I call it rip rap.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread