Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I moved, I had my greatest ever metal detecting site 15 minutes away. I found it by accident in 2014, and it produced around 20 coppers and 100 buttons, until it dried out in 2016. Anyways, I finally did some lidar on the site, and found the main cellar hole there, but then I noticed another one, in an area I never bothered to check. Unfortunately, this site is now 40 minutes away, and I am going to have to wait until the weekends to hit it. I can't wait to see how it goes!

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I moved, I had my greatest ever metal detecting site 15 minutes away. I found it by accident in 2014, and it produced around 20 coppers and 100 buttons, until it dried out in 2016. Anyways, I finally did some lidar on the site, and found the main cellar hole there, but then I noticed another one, in an area I never bothered to check. Unfortunately, this site is now 40 minutes away, and I am going to have to wait until the weekends to hit it. I can't wait to see how it goes!
?

How does one go about 'doing some lidar' on a piece of property?

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be interesting to see if the new cellar hole is as productive. Hope you get the chance to get back before winter and frozen soils sets in.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?

How does one go about 'doing some lidar' on a piece of property?

I am also very interested in this one!
I have 2 supposed cellars on some land I would love to find haha

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean throwing some sort of Lidar cam up on a drone and flying around? That would be some serious researching haha

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
20 colonial coppers, at a site you "discovered by accident" ? You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick :crybaby2:

:laughing7: Right after getting into relic hunting, I went in the woods behind a nearby school and took my metal detector out. I was hoping maybe a hunter dropped something in the 1800's, not expecting anything colonial. In that first day I think I had my first multi button day and colonial buckle, the next day I found my first U.S. large cent (1805) and some more buttons. The cellar hole is now a 10 by 10 foot round and very deep vernal pool, with old rusty fencing around it, and bricks scattered everywhere. I thought that it was just a normal vernal pool, and the bricks were from a trash pile, so I stayed away from it until fall of 2014. I probably got 10 large cents and 50 buttons away from the cellar hole, and the rest of my great finds all in a 50 foot patch around the cellar hole, which was along an old stream. I also found tons of pottery, an old floorboard with rosehead nails in a foot of clay (still haven't grabbed it yet), and old clay pipe bowls and stems. I have to admit, living in the east coast does give you a small advantage when relic hunting. Out west you have a better chance of finding gold coins and rarer s mint coins though!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: Right after getting into relic hunting, I went in the woods behind a nearby school and took my metal detector out. I was hoping maybe a hunter dropped something in the 1800's, not expecting anything colonial. In that first day I think I had my first multi button day and colonial buckle, the next day I found my first U.S. large cent (1805) and some more buttons. The cellar hole is now a 10 by 10 foot round and very deep vernal pool, with old rusty fencing around it, and bricks scattered everywhere. I thought that it was just a normal vernal pool, and the bricks were from a trash pile, so I stayed away from it until fall of 2014. I probably got 10 large cents and 50 buttons away from the cellar hole, and the rest of my great finds all in a 50 foot patch around the cellar hole, which was along an old stream. I also found tons of pottery, an old floorboard with rosehead nails in a foot of clay (still haven't grabbed it yet), and old clay pipe bowls and stems. I have to admit, living in the east coast does give you a small advantage when relic hunting. Out west you have a better chance of finding gold coins and rarer s mint coins though!

yea when you live in texas you don't find much s mint coins or gold coins

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40-50 is the average I drive to my areas. I have places that I still hunt that are 10 minutes away but I think ,for the most part,I've got everything. I still go back to those because you never know .I didn't find anything at one site for 8 times in a row and on the 9th,a fugio. Get out there man‼️‼️‼️

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Out west you have a better chance of finding gold coins and rarer s mint coins though!

Haha, you got a point. We don't get the colonial USA stuff like you guys, but yes: the gold ratio is much higher here than east coast guys. I know several guys (some aren't even necessarily hard-core) who have bagged a gold coin (or two, or three, etc...) here. It's still very hard to find one, but .... contrast to the east coast, where EVEN THE MOST HARDCORE guys might have never found a gold coin.

And yes: S mints are the rule out here. And those have the higher book mintage values.

So I guess I should quit belly-aching ? haha

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, you got a point. We don't get the colonial USA stuff like you guys, but yes: the gold ratio is much higher here than east coast guys. I know several guys (some aren't even necessarily hard-core) who have bagged a gold coin (or two, or three, etc...) here. It's still very hard to find one, but .... contrast to the east coast, where EVEN THE MOST HARDCORE guys might have never found a gold coin.

And yes: S mints are the rule out here. And those have the higher book mintage values.

So I guess I should quit belly-aching ? haha

But... but... what about us midwesterners!? :(
I think we midaswell get a plane ticket, haha!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post
In NYC it would sometimes take me an hour or more to travel 10 miles. I have no problem travelling to a spot that is productive or has a promise of being productive.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It all depends on how hard you push the pedal to the metal! :laughing7:
Moving away from a favourite site kind of sucks and I can relate to this. While living in the city I had the go to park to hunt (400 acres to play in, and I just referred to it as my old friend) just a few minutes away, heck a 15 minute warm up walk got me into the park. Then the bummer came - moved to the other side of the city, not far, but 20 miles turned into a 1hr plus drive minimum. So it was leave before 7am and return after 7pm in the evening or I'd be sitting in traffic for 3-4hrs during rush hours. Now a 20 mile track is 20 minutes or less living in the middle of bum ---- Ont. as sites are close as I want or as far as I want.
NOTE: If I had an AAA site that you had producing those #'s I'd drive an hour in a heart beat, we can sleep all we want later when the detecting life is over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread