LATEST DIGS: 1853 Seated Quarter, Bullets (Merrills, Sharps, Minies) and More!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Hey Guys....Well this was my last trip out and I got some keepers! Including a couple handfulls of Bullets and a Nice 1853 Seated Quarter. In addition I got a nice

brass tag with the word "Erie" on it. I dug this up in the Civil War campsite where the rest of this stuff come from. It could be related to the G.A.R. i.e. a delegation tag of some

sort...I've seen State Delegation Tags and have also seen city/regional variations as well. This being said, it could just as easily be related to something else as well.

I Also added some more photos of myself, Rob aka RTDE 3 and James Bibb to the post. James I'm deeply sorry and upset about your loss buddy. Here's the photos without further

adieu: Thanks for looking my friends :occasion14:

Fresh from the Pouch:

MD Pics 1866ed.jpg

1853 Seated Quarter *Uncleaned*
1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.jpg

1853 Seated Quarter *Cleaned* (Left some patina on the face as well as the Reverse with original patina)

MD Pics 1855ed2.jpg

Reverse:
MD Pics 1851ed.jpg

Pretty designed Thimble
MD Pics 1879ed.jpg

Group Shots: Bullets include: Miinies, Musketballs, Sharps, and Merrills as well as other stuff you find associated with Campsites ( i.e. Watch Keys, Flower Kepi Buttons (A Pair), etc.)

MD Pics 1887ed.jpg

MD Pics 1883ed.jpg

Sentinel, RTDE3, and James Bibb diggin' it up at the Beach last weekend!

Beach Hunt 2011 (1).JPG

Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.jpg

Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.jpg

Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.jpg

Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.jpg

Attachments

• Beach Hunt 2011 (1).JPG
    Beach Hunt 2011 (1).JPG
    70 KB · Views: 810
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.jpg
    Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 816
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.jpg
    Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 794
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.jpg
    Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 793
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.jpg
    Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 801
  • MD Pics 1883ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1883ed.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 827
  • MD Pics 1887ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1887ed.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 859
  • MD Pics 1879ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1879ed.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 829
  • MD Pics 1851ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1851ed.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 817
  • MD Pics 1855ed2.jpg
    MD Pics 1855ed2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 839
  • 1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.jpg
    1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 865
  • MD Pics 1866ed.jpg
    MD Pics 1866ed.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: LATEST DIGS: 1853 Seated Quarter, Bullets, and More!

{Sentinel} said:
BobinSouthVA said:
Cool finds Sentinel. That quarter is a beauty.

Headed down to VA beach tomorrow to detect while the kids are in surf camp. Hope you guys left some bling for me :laughing9:

:laughing9: :laughing9: Yeah I think there's plenty to go round down there. What part of the Strip are you going to?

Their surf lessons are on 4th street so I'll probably be swinging between there and up to 10th street or so.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunting on the beach there's nothing quite like it eh! :laughing7:
I have to agree with (cntrydncr1) Deb, the thimble is one of my favourites! :icon_thumright:
That 1853 Seated Quarter is a real beauty Josh! :notworthy:

Have fun in Hawaii this week too buddy,
Dave

PS. I hope you're taking your detector along! :icon_scratch:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good bunch of finds Josh. :thumbsup: And great post. :headbang: Can't tell in your shot of the piece your calling a Game piece.But will add that they made what I call a brad that looks very much like what I see of yours.I've found quite a few of them & even have a couple like the one I'll post that was still through the copper/brass pieces that they were attached to.I'm thinking mabe from copper pots/kettles as it's attached to thin sheet copper.Does yours look like this?
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Nice assortment of relics and coins Josh :thumbsup:

Is it me, or do you seem to find more than your fair share of silver Washington quarters on your CW and colonial sites :laughing7:

That's hilarious you say that b/c someone else said that too not too long ago...i think it was James while diggin with me down here I popped one out with him and he said the same thing you did " Man you pop a TON of Washington Quarters!" :laughing7: but ALOT of my colonial/CW sites are in the depths of the city, and that's why I pop alot of Silver Wash's.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller said:
Another good bunch of finds Josh. :thumbsup: And great post. :headbang: Can't tell in your shot of the piece your calling a Game piece.But will add that they made what I call a brad that looks very much like what I see of yours.I've found quite a few of them & even have a couple like the one I'll post that was still through the copper/brass pieces that they were attached to.I'm thinking mabe from copper pots/kettles as it's attached to thin sheet copper.Does yours look like this?
Take Care,

Thanks Pete my friend :icon_thumleft: :occasion14:The game piece(s) are actually quite different, very lightweight, and have a hollow conical cavity rather than a flat base like the brads.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatta Crew! Great Pix :wink:
Byootiful 'Quart Dollar', nothing like the Eagle with rays :o
Great assortment of Lead, seems odd you are finding these on the beach,
Guess not, I find them in the mud...
In your first group shot, third slug from left, this looks like my most common slug find,
mine are about .58, all but one have hollow bases, one is solid.
can you give me an ID on these?
Love that curtainweight :laughing9:
Great Post! Enjoy the weather!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
Whatta Crew! Great Pix :wink:
Byootiful 'Quart Dollar', nothing like the Eagle with rays :o
Great assortment of Lead, seems odd you are finding these on the beach,
Guess not, I find them in the mud...
In your first group shot, third slug from left, this looks like my most common slug find,
mine are about .58, all but one have hollow bases, one is solid.
can you give me an ID on these?
Love that curtainweight :laughing9:
Great Post! Enjoy the weather!! :thumbsup:

Heey SHW, the beach photos are actually from a different day last weekend and Rob posted the Beach finds on his post last Sunday. These finds were made at a Pickket Post/CW campsite property! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man at the loot! Wish I detected back when I was stationed there many moons ago. I bought an old DMZ1 Nautilus from the paper used it once and put it in the closet till I sold it a few years back. I should have learned the machine and used it more but I had other things on my mind back in them days..

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Timekiller said:
Take Care,

Thanks Pete my friend :icon_thumleft: :occasion14: The game piece(s) are actually quite different, very lightweight, and have a hollow conical cavity rather than a flat base like the brads.
Thanks Josh,
Yea don't find them here at least not yet.I couldn't tell very well from the picks/only that it reminded me of them.Thanks for getting back & describing them as I'll no what to look for. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
try to enjoy yourself on your trip. :icon_sunny:
One last thought on your piece from your decription.As you can see these collar studs would be covered by a thin front part if got missing sounds alot like what you are speaking of.
http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/collarsmen.htm

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More great digs Josh. Hoping to get a seated quarter myself one of these years. You always seem to sniff out the good stuff.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're becoming a legend Sentinel. Way to go - keep it up. I hope to get you over to the Valley for a hunt soon.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woop @ all those sexy legs! :D I bet ya'll had all the girlies attention that day. 8) OH...and super finds too, Senti. :icon_pirat:

Nanners~ :icon_sunny:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just now saw your post. Great finds Josh. That is another fine collection of finds. Boy I can't wait to get back to the fields again. Did y'all have any luck at the beach?

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds again Sentinel!!!!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a very nice quarter dollar :headbang . I would love to try my hand at some CW lead and relics sometime too ! Very nice ! :icon_sunny: MaineRelic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions