Spanish olive jar and explanation of digging method

arelichunter

Greenie
Jun 21, 2011
here is a Spanish Olive jar.....circa early 1700's... I took 3 of em out of this hole. I originally metal detected a 1750 pewter tankard in the ground at 16 inches. SO,then, I got out the shovel........ okay, this is one method of digging I use....trenching .....when I get in an old area that has proven itself. I start a trench to see how far down the artifact layer goes.....this eliminates all the questions about "gee, how can I get deeper penetration with my metal detector". Here's your answer..."A SHOVEL" lol Cause every metal detector manufacturer is gonna keep trying to sell you a new "improved deeper model" and a good shovel cost about $20 at the home depot. yeah, I hate to have to say it,but yes, it takes some work sometimes if ya wanna get the rare stuff. Well, there ya go, tip number 1......

Attachments

• henrietta privya.jpg
    henrietta privya.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
Wow ! I am afraid my trench diggin' days are behind me, although with some targets like that, I think some soreness could be tolerated !Good job, now move over a couple of feet and dig some more !

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're part archaeologist ai'nt ya.There is treasure, to break it you lose a fortune.Being careful is a lesson learned,unfortunately,The Hard Way

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of excavating around a few cellar holes that have proved themselves. I dig a HUGE hole, and then pinpoint everything...the masking effect hides several nice targets. I had some nice buttons come from 2 ft or so surrounded by a huge wall of nails.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi you have been showing awsome finds lately. Great But what concerns me is the fact your digging a deep trench with No side timber bracing or support. So what good is your $20 shovel when the sides cave in.

tinpan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks an awful lot like an archaelogical dig there (or a construction site like tinpan says). Also looks like it is being illuminated by lights - like the picture was taken at night. I am having a hard time believing THAT trench was started from a deep signal from a 1750's tankard. And I have seen plenty of CW huts and trash pits dug in Virginia that were found due to a piece of deep iron being detected, so I understand the shovel concept.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ... looking forward with great anticipation to your next post!!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arelichunter said:
here is a Spanish Olive jar.....circa early 1700's... I took 3 of em out of this hole. I originally metal detected a 1750 pewter tankard in the ground at 16 inches. SO,then, I got out the shovel........ okay, this is one method of digging I use....trenching .....when I get in an old area that has proven itself. I start a trench to see how far down the artifact layer goes.....this eliminates all the questions about "gee, how can I get deeper penetration with my metal detector". Here's your answer..."A SHOVEL" lol Cause every metal detector manufacturer is gonna keep trying to sell you a new "improved deeper model" and a good shovel cost about $20 at the home depot. yeah, I hate to have to say it,but yes, it takes some work sometimes if ya wanna get the rare stuff. Well, there ya go, tip number 1......

I beg to differ Sorry but your standing in a fountaion trench with the lengths of concrete steel to right of your pic. New pi mds go down a lot deeper than you can think. What are you talking about.

tinpan ??? ??? ???

Attachments

• henrietta_privya.jpg
    henrietta_privya.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 806

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just surprised to see you still in the trenches with the 100's of thousands of dollars you've already made off your other finds. I'd hire out the sweat if it were me... just saying???? ::) ::) ::)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know one relic hunter that uses that methid and has nice success. I think I need to buy a better shovel for the future.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad those Spanish olive jars, were not full of Spanish coins.... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Still awesome digs !! :o :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at you in that hole :o Hard to believe the shovel or a backhoe didn't break that beautiful flower pot . When I was a kid my grand ma had one kinda like yours . She kept it high on a shelf , she said, lil dawg your shootin' up just like a weed an someday you may gitjust tall enough to reach my pot . Some time went by and I tried to touch it and it fell off the shelf and broke al over her kitchen floor . My grandma gave me a good a$$ whoopin' , but it didn't hurt :tongue3: I was digging a trench for a concrete footing with two continuous # 4 rebar rods like you have laying there and found an old beer bottle and a hot wheel from the 70's . Are those string lines the same kind most masons use ??? You are without a doubt one lucky man ! :headbang: Banner for that one too !! :notworthy: :hello2: dawg

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Look at you in that hole :o Hard to believe the shovel or a backhoe didn't break that beautiful flower pot . When I was a kid my grand ma had one kinda like yours . She kept it high on a shelf , she said, lil dawg your shootin' up just like a weed an someday you may gitjust tall enough to reach my pot . Some time went by and I tried to touch it and it fell off the shelf and broke al over her kitchen floor . My grandma gave me a good a$$ whoopin' , but it didn't hurt :tongue3: I was digging a trench for a concrete footing with two continuous # 4 rebar rods like you have laying there and found an old beer bottle and a hot wheel from the 70's . Are those string lines the same kind most masons use ??? You are without a doubt one lucky man ! :headbang: Banner for that one too !! :notworthy: :hello2: dawg
LMAO...I find myself stuck to the screen waiting for what's next...Jimmy Hoffa found?

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
LOL...love it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread