Latest farm hunt and all finds combined

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Got a chance to go to the farm we have been hunting for a third time. The tobacco has been cut but the soil has not be turned over. They had to leave about 3/4 of the farm unpicked due to frost destroying the crop, which made the hunt difficult (plant material was everywhere). It rained the entire time we were out, but we managed to pick up a few pieces. I have also included photos of our three hunts. Hopefully will find more once they plow the field. Your comments are always appreciated. Thanks......Brep

Attachments

• farm11-4.JPG
    farm11-4.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 373
  • farm11-4-1.JPG
    farm11-4-1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 368
  • allshards.JPG
    allshards.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 377
  • allfinds2.JPG
    allfinds2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 377
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can understand why you have picked up everything, I used to when I first started hunting. But now I leave the flakes/spalls for others to find in the future.. Once these are all removed, it leaves no trace there was ever a campsite there.
I am puzzled as to why you haven't found any more arrows & blades though.Maybe when they plow you will.
Good luck, look forwards to seeing what you find.

Molly.

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks Molly. We seem to find a lot of scrapers and a few points. I did manage to find a nice brown Morrow Mt. point today. Should we look elsewhere on the farm where we haven't found many shards? All the shards were found in about an one acre area. My dad has told me to stop picking up the shards like you have stated. I can't help myself sometimes because there are so many. Thanks again......Brep

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new to hunting for artifacts I would still pick everything up for inspection. Until you are familiar what to look for.
I would walk ALL the farm area, I have found arrows a quarter of a mile away. See looks like where you are hunting is where they knapped them, also the larger spalls from larger peices of rhyolite, which tells us they made their blades & preforms there.. So hunt all round. You are in a prime spot, just broaden your search area. If there is higher ground check there too. My site is on higher ground, I have found lots there. I also walk the outside the campsite, still finding arrows.. See you have to imagine, they would knapp the arrows, then go off hunting, so there as to be arrows outside the campsite too. Like I said broaden your search, but stay on plowed areas. They are much easier to find on plowed fields.

Let me know how you get on. Look forwards to seeing what else you find.

Molly. (btw when you show us pics of the spalls/flakes lay them out flat, so we can see them better..)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread