Need help ID materials

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
As you can probably tell, my dad and I just started artifact hunting. Could anyone please help ID the different types of materials in the photos below? We have been calling the shards and pieces flint, but Molly has stated that a lot of it is Rhyolite. Neither is native to the area we hunt. The closest source is about 100 miles away. Also, does anyone know away of cleaning these materials without damaging them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Brep

Attachments

• material.JPG
    material.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 396
  • material2.JPG
    material2.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic is a good example of rhyolite, the centre is the original colour, years exposed to the elements & soil conditions changes its colour, as you see by the outside the rhyolite.
That colour lime green is the most common rhyolite, I have somewhere in the region of 200 arrows & blades of that type of rhyolite.
As i stated before its not a native material, it was brought in by the Indians from Morrow Mt, which is approx 100 miles from here too. As NC/VA had not much in the way of knapping materials, this was their main source.
All the above are types of rhyolite, if i get time I will post all the different types.
As for cleaning, well I just use a tooth brush & any detergent, dish washer liquid or washing powder all works fine. If the patina won't come off with detergents, then you'll not get it off without damaging the point/blades. Most collectors don't bother too much about some patina,gives the arrows character. Just shows how many years they have been in the ground.
I hope some other collectors from NC will varify this, to assure you I am indeed correct.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Molly.

OP
OP
Brep

Brep

Aug 7, 2008
Thank you so much Molly. We thought the shards and pieces were flint. Have you found flint in your area? If so, can you please post a photo showing the difference? Thanks again as always........Brep

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'll post all the different types of rhyolite & other materials I have found.

Molly.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brep and Molly, you are actually better off if you just use a tootbrush and warm water to clean your points and other artifacts. Any kind of soap, especially a strong dishwashing detergent, can be harmful to the point.

You should never try to scrub a point or any piece to the point of trying to remove the patina.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DorkFish said:
Brep and Molly, you are actually better off if you just use a tootbrush and warm water to clean your points and other artifacts. Any kind of soap, especially a strong dishwashing detergent, can be harmful to the point.

You should never try to scrub a point or any piece to the point of trying to remove the patina.
[/quote

I clean all my points with pamolive, its kind to hands, so it aint going to hurt rock. lol.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brep said:
Thank you so much Molly. We thought the shards and pieces were flint. Have you found flint in your area? If so, can you please post a photo showing the difference? Thanks again as always........Brep

Brep here is the local flint.

Attachments

• FLINT.jpg
    FLINT.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 325

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Rhyolite comes in lots of differnt sorts, colours..

Attachments

• GUILFORD.jpg
    GUILFORD.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 362

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Brep, you see the core (middle)of the peice of rhyolite in the first pic? well thats a recent break, more than likely caused by the plow. If it was an ancient break it would be the same colour as the outer area.

Hope this helps you sweetheart.

Molly.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz.

Attachments

• Rowan_789.jpg
    Rowan_789.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 361
  • Rowan_789.jpg
    Rowan_789.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 345

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
DorkFish said:

[/quote

I clean all my points with pamolive, its kind to hands, so it aint going to hurt rock. lol.

At least that's what Madge says, right. lol

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I would also discourage you from using soaps or scrubbing of any kind- what for? Wash the dirt off with water and that's what they are supposed to look like IMO. Besides that, with the advances in science as it pertains to archaeology it's not too far fetched that uncleaned or unscrubbed points may be looked at one day to determine what they were being used for by microanalaysis of the materials left in the cracks. Wash with water or run the risk of losing information to future generations.

Carolina Points

Feb 27, 2008
State Line S.C/N.C
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 2
That is rhyolite like Molly says there are alot of different types, I have a tan colored rhyolite point that is broke but it has a red quartz running through it, very neat. Looks like you have a great spot. Hit it hard and dont give up there should be plenty more.
Thanks for the pics, HH
Clint

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
If we knew the rate at which ryholite "oxidizes" as can be seen by the color change in that top picture we could measure the depth of it all the way around that piece, average it, and get a pretty close estimate on it's age. Maybe somebody in your local geology department could help you figure out that rate for that material- or maybe some archaeologists in your area already know the approximate rate.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DorkFish said:
Molly said:
DorkFish said:

[/quote

At least that's what Madge says, right. lol

LOL. Nah Madge don't wash dishes.. ;D Most points I do just use water but sometimes the soil gets in the flaking, I like my points clean. If its where it won't come off with Palmolive, I leave it on.
I remember the advert back in the 70's Nanette Newman, she said 'it cleans dishes & is kind to your hands'..LOL. It don't hurt the Rhyolite.
Its not a harsh detergent, otherwise women wouldn't put their hands in it.

Molly. ::)

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
as far as the cleaning goes, a person can wash off traces of the binding adhesive like pine tar. i have points that i found that show this residue clearly. i feel it adds character and tells an interesting story.

Hey, this is a cool post! Brep, looks like you off to a great start!! If you live in the Carolinas, then, listen good to Molly. She knows her stuff up there!!
While your finding brokes, start now keeping them separated by site. Sometime or another, your gonna find matching peices.
Nice pics Molly!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread