Latest finds...

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Haven't really been out a whole lot lately, but I have managed to swing my detector here and there and come away with a few keepers.

The latest finds come from the old boy scout camp near Idyllwild. I've read where this site has been hammered hard, and from the slim pickins this may very well be true. Temps were perfect up in the mountains...a cool 69º according to my Jeep's thermometer.

The first old coins to pop up were a 1940 and '41 nickel.

nickels.jpg

I thought to myself, "Oh boy, now all I need is a '42 silver war nickel." And that's exactly what I got...a 1942 S war nickel...my very first in all the years I've been detecting. In addition to the war nickel I also nabbed a '47 silver rosie and a 1919 wheatie.

silver.jpg

The next silver item came in the way of a silver plated spoon. From the design it appears to have come from the 20s or 30s, maybe earlier. It was near a creek so I figured some boy scout probably took it to dig in the sand, lol.

spoon1-1.jpg

spoon2.jpg

I also found a cheap antique ring, but I'll have post pics of that later.

Oh, and can't forget the old boy scout pocket knife...two of them!!

knives.jpg

From a couple weeks ago, the next item is perhaps my favorite token find. Can't say how old it is, but I do know the message it sends is 2000 years old and just as true today as it was then. :icon_sunny:

token.jpg

And lastly, one of my old Catholic school detecting runs...found everything but the kitchen sink. ;D

dinnerware.jpg

Ray

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got enough silverware there to set the table for dinner. Nice finds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nice digs, Ray!

...wish for a nickel and get it.... WoW!

All that good stuff, and you're SAVED, too!

A Glorious day!

Best
rmptr

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I hunt a scout camp too, you might have seen the videos on YouTube. Your finds are identical to ours, especially the silverware everywhere! Nice finds.

Joe

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice going, Ray!

You did great to get those finds.....I know that area has been pounded by quite a few premier Explorer hunters in the Southland multiple times. I've only been there once last year, and managed 10-12 wheats and a few silvers.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks for the comments, everyone! Now that the temps are cooler here in the southland, I think I'm gonna try to get out a bit more often. Might even hit the scout camp one more time before the real cold weather comes!

Ray

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happend with me with an IH penny. I found a Merc and a Barber and I said all I need to find now is an IH and it will be a perfect hunt. My next target turned out to be an IH, nicest one I have found of seven (7) so far... :o :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds .I had one of those knives as a kid. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions