Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Down at the local pub we old timers get into to these "deep" discussions about everything. Heck, since most of us are pretty much worn out, retired, and well off, there's nothing better to do.

As you know the infamous Mr. Chapman was recently up for parole again. I agree with the decision to keep him in jail but I can't help but think of the double standard played out here. Lots of brutal killers get off with 10-20 years (some less and other never are convicted).

So why are they refusing to release Chapman? Mostly because he murdered "an international music star."

Oh granted, if he were ever released one could doubt he'd survive long anyway but that's beside the point.

It seems to me it ought to be the same "justice" for all. The life of a factory worker "no name" is just as important as the life of a rock star.

What do you think?

John Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman, was denied parole today for the seventh time.

"You shot and killed an innocent victim, an international music star," the New York State Board of Parole wrote to Chapman. "Your actions clearly demonstrated a callous disregard for the sanctity of human life."

Chapman, 57, pleaded guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to 20 years to life for gunning down the Beatle outside of his Manhattan apartment complex on Dec. 8, 1980.
For his seventh parole hearing, Chapman was interviewed by video conference at the maximum security Wende Correctional Facility at the Wende Correctional Facility in Alden, N.Y., where he is being held.
The parole board noted that Chapman's record does not have any prior convictions and that they took into consideration his good conduct in prison, educational accomplishments, his remorse, letters of support and "significant" opposition to his release.
But the board decided that "parole shall not be granted for good conduct and program completions alone."
"Therefore, despite your positive efforts while incarcerated, your release at this time would greatly undermine respect for the law and tend to trivialize the tragic loss of life which you caused as a result of this heinous, unprovoked, violent, cold and calculated crime," the board wrote.
At Chapman's last parole hearing in September 2010, he told the board that there were other names on his list of potential targets, including Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor and two others he could not recall.
"I was going through that in my mind the other day; I knew you would ask that," Chapman told officials during the 2010 hearing. "Johnny Carson was one of them. Elizabeth Taylor. I lose memory of perhaps the other two."
"If it wasn't Lennon, it could have been someone else," he said.
Chapman said he chose the Beatle because he was the most accessible target on his list.
Yoko Ono, the wife of the late musician, said in 2010 that she opposed paroling Chapman and believed he could be a danger to her and her family.
Chapman became eligible for parole on Dec. 4, 2000, according to the New York Department of Corrections.
The Department of Corrections released an updated photo of Chapman that was taken on May 15, 2012. Chapman's next scheduled parole hearing will be in August 2014.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't believe there should be parole for anyone found guilty of 1st degree murder period. It should be either death or life with no parole.

Don't believe if one gets parole they all should either. I would rather be taxed to keep them in prison for life and just let the non violent prisoners out earlier. Stop putting people in prison for simple possession of pot. If I have to run into someone on the street one dark night I would much rather it be a pothead than a paroled murderer. If its a pothead I can just throw him a Twinkie...

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It seems to me it ought to be the same "justice" for all. The life of a factory worker "no name" is just as important as the life of a rock star."

Totally agree. Really tired of the second set of rules for celebrities.

Undecided as to how long they should "serve", but agree with Teasure Hunter-need to find other means of punishment for non-violent offenders. Love the Twinkie comment!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Chapman's last parole hearing in September 2010, he told the board that there were other names on his list of potential targets, including Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor and two others he could not recall.
"I was going through that in my mind the other day; I knew you would ask that," Chapman told officials during the 2010 hearing. "Johnny Carson was one of them. Elizabeth Taylor. I lose memory of perhaps the other two."
"If it wasn't Lennon, it could have been someone else," he said.

geez, lets see. HE HAD A LIST OF TARGETS.

just cause Johhny and Liz are gone now YOU DON'T think any new people were added to a new list?

keep the nutjob in jail. If the parole board said, 'hey do you have a new list you are going to start to execute when you get out?'
'uh no.'
'ok you are free to go'

come on it has nothing to do wtih the rock star. He is a nutjob with a list of targets. Like that went away. Let him out and he will take someone off that new list as soon as he could....and would be laughing at all of you while he goes back to jail.

It is the 'reasoning' behind the murder. What type of killer are you?

the guy who kills a wife's lover in a flash of jealousy, probably never to harm again in his lifetime OR THE guy who has a hit list?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's how I see it. He knew what he was doing at the time. He picked out people and killed without reason. His logic is not the same as yours or mine.He knows what he is doing but cares nothing for human life. He should have been tried for murder1 and disposed of. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes, they are using the same logic that keeps Charles Manson in prison. He is not only a menace to society in general but also could effect other people into doing copycat murderers. Both should have been disposed fo as they will never be allowed to rejoin society and will serve no other useful purpose but to take up prison space and taxpayers money. Many on death row are allowed to stay there many years before execution, and some never get executed. Only a hand full of states allow the death penalty at all, leaving more people on death row and more burden on the taxpayers of those states, as well as the government. Prison has become such an industry of itself, that it pays for localities and states to keep the cells full. Many localities base their yearly budgets on the jail or prison systems. Good Luck. rockhound

K

Kentucky Kache

Personally I don't believe there should be parole for anyone found guilty of 1st degree murder period. It should be either death or life with no parole.

Don't believe if one gets parole they all should either. I would rather be taxed to keep them in prison for life and just let the non violent prisoners out earlier. Stop putting people in prison for simple possession of pot. If I have to run into someone on the street one dark night I would much rather it be a pothead than a paroled murderer. If its a pothead I can just throw him a Twinkie...

But what if that pothead runs into you? I hope your family isn't in the car at the time. Punish them with the thing they're most afraid of - work. Bring back the chain gang, or it's equivalent, and I guarantee the crime rate with go down. That goes for murderers and potheads, though I would make it a little worse for murderers.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:

Uhmmmm twinkles

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what if that pothead runs into you? I hope your family isn't in the car at the time. Punish them with the thing they're most afraid of - work. Bring back the chain gang, or it's equivalent, and I guarantee the crime rate with go down. That goes for murderers and potheads, though I would make it a little worse for murderers.

I would much rather be on the road with a pothead that just smoked a joint than someone with a hangover from drinking too much the night before.....

K

Kentucky Kache

I would much rather be on the road with a pothead that just smoked a joint than someone with a hangover from drinking too much the night before.....

I don't see much difference, but I didn't know we were talking about alcohol. Pot, alcohol or gun. All of these can kill.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree no Parole for purposely killing Lennon
no Parole for purposely killing Joe factory worker
no Parole for purposely killing the crack dealer down the street.

Killing a human being should be life .

Period

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jeff of pa said:
I agree no Parole for purposely killing Lennon
no Parole for purposely killing Joe factory worker
no Parole for purposely killing the crack dealer down the street.

Killing a human being should be life .

Period

The problem with life in jail is that it's not a bad life at all. Taxpayers paying for these people to life out their life better then most on the outside. There needs to be a major overhaul in the prison systems. Warehousing people can become very expensive. Are legal system has made it that way due to lawsuits brought on by are convicts.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with life in jail is that it's not a bad life at all. Taxpayers paying for these people to life out their life better then most on the outside. There needs to be a major overhaul in the prison systems. Warehousing people can become very expensive. Are legal system has made it that way due to lawsuits brought on by are convicts.

well first off, one cinder block 3 foot square cell , 1 inmate, one life Sentence in that cell alone with nothing to do 24/7

But only for those who there was no doubt killed someone.
not for someone picked up off the street & Rail-roaded by our so called justice system..

I would think that should fix the problem.
I doubt many would look forward to it.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jeff of pa said:
well first off, one cinder block 3 foot square cell , 1 inmate, one life Sentence in that cell alone with nothing to do 24/7

But only for those who there was no doubt killed someone.
not for someone picked up off the street & Rail-roaded by our so called justice system..

I would think that should fix the problem.
I doubt many would look forward to it.

Well that's not going to happen. As time goes by these convicts will get more rights given to them by our court system and the tax payers will pay the bill. We can all say this and that about how tuff it should be but they will continue to live out the rest of there lives pretty comfortable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should have no TV, and no exercise equipment..... They can take large rocks and make gravel rocks out of them 10 hours a day 6 days a week.... Take that gravel and use it on the state road systems to help pay for their keep.....Next bring back public executions, and make it mandatory for all kids in juvenile facilities to attend...Show them what their future holds for them if they continue down that path..... No lethal injections, death by hanging or firing squad should be their only choice....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread