Laws on NC beaches?

S

smartk9s

Hi, I'm absolutely new here. First post...plus I don't even have a detector yet.

Basically, I like to shell on the beach, primarily Crystal Coast (Bogue Banks) and nearby. A few weeks ago tho I got to thinking about doing some MDing while I was down there.

So my question is, are there any laws against/regulating MDing on NC beaches? Town, state or otherwise? I've noticed some of the people on this site are working NC beaches, and I'm hoping you'll give me a little info on this.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Bottle-cap Bee-otch

Jun 18, 2006
I don't know about the rules where you are going, but you cannot metal detect on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore....which starts just below the Town of Nags Head and goes all the way through Ocracoke Island. They can take your detector if you are doing it...and I am here to tell you that the beaches are heavily patrolled by the Park Service and other government workers. Every time I let my dog off of his leash they come after me. They must sit in the dunes with their binoculars. Your tax dollars at work!!

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
From Duck to Oregon Inlet you can MD. Once you cross the bridge to Pea Island you are on National Seashore where MD'ing becomes a felony offense. They will take you, your detector and your vehicle.

When hunting, try to hit the beach at the bath houses. I generally go to the Kitty Hawk,Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head bath houses. I've also had pretty good luck around the piers. Also remember, people generally lose stuff going to and coming from the beach so don't forget to check the accesses and sandy parking areas. Will be down there myself next weekend 8/4-8/6.

Good luck

Rick

OP
OP
S

smartk9s

Thanks for the responses.

I was aware that you can't MD in a National anything, but wasn't much sure if you got grief in other areas on the NC coast. As far as I have seen, all the SOBX beaches are public. The only area that might be an issue is the Fort Macon State Park area, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone as to whether or not the Beaufort Inlet beach is true public or part of Fort Macon. I've never seen any kind of ranger or whatever there, and there are no signs posted prohibiting anything, so I suppose it is probably public.

Rick, when you say you are coming down, are you headed to the OBX or the SOBX? Looks like you generally go to the OBX.

Bottle-cap Bee-otch

Jun 18, 2006
The Cape Hatteras National Seashore begins before you go over the bridge to Pea Island. It starts a couple of miles before you go over the Oregon Inlet bridge. (Coquina Beach). You can tell where it begins....it is where the last house is built in South Nags Head. I hope you all enjoy your vacation. I look forward to seeing your finds. Especially the bottle-caps.

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for correcting me on Coquine Beach Bottle-Cap. I never go down that far.

We will be staying somwhere between Kitty Hawk and Nags Head. I won't reserve anything till Mon. 7/31. A lot of the rental companies won't rent a partial week until the week starts. I can rent a partial week (Wed - Sun) cheaper than I can rent a hotel room for 3 nights.

Bottle-cap Bee-otch

Jun 18, 2006
I hope you find some loot, minelab rick. I live here and have only detected the beach a few times....but have found a couple of cool things....mostly bottle-caps though. Good luck. Let us know what you find

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
We were down there the 3rd week in June. A little early in the season but I dug up about $25.00 worth of change, 1 toe ring, 5 matchbox type cars, 6 sinkers, 1 beaded braclett and 6 packs of fire crackers.

My wife is scheduled to take her certification test for nursing on 8/8/06 at 8:00 A.M. So we are going down Thursday night the 3rd and leaving all the kids(7) at home so she can study. I've promised to stay out of her hair and on the beach. Shoild get a lot of swing time.

Bottle-cap Bee-otch

Jun 18, 2006
That's a pretty nice haul. I only detect in the dry stuff. One of these days I am going to have to get a Mine-lab. There were SOOO many people on the beach this week. I have never seen so many. Good luck...happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions