LDMA vs GPAA

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this has been talked about elsewhere, but what makes the LDMA so much better than the GPAA that it costs so much to join? Don't they share the same prospecting fields?
the LDMA can use any GPAA claim but we the GPAA members can not use the LDMA claims unless we join or many in Invited .

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the LDMA as a software program. You have the home version (GPAA) which has alot of nice features and then there is the professional version (LDMA), has all the features of the home version but is upscale and offers more and fancier features and of course cost more. For some the home version is all they need and wouldn't use all the features of the pro version so why buy it. Also welcome to the forum drbill.

OP
OP
D

drbill

Nov 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the LDMA as a software program. You have the home version (GPAA) which has alot of nice features and then there is the professional version (LDMA), has all the features of the home version but is upscale and offers more and fancier features and of course cost more. For some the home version is all they need and wouldn't use all the features of the pro version so why buy it. Also welcome to the forum drbill.

Your welcome BHP. I'm just curious if paying approx. 60 times more for a membership in the LDMA is worth it? Do LDMA members really find that much more gold, or are most of their members the, go to the outings, fill up on b-b-q and dance to the bluegrass bands, type of members. I'm a newbie at this. I want to belong to the org. that gives me the best chance at finding gold.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your welcome BHP. I'm just curious if paying approx. 60 times more for a membership in the LDMA is worth it? Do LDMA members really find that much more gold, or are most of their members the, go to the outings, fill up on b-b-q and dance to the bluegrass bands, type of members. I'm a newbie at this. I want to belong to the org. that gives me the best chance at finding gold.
I have not joined the LDMA but have been at some camps . I actually feel better out on the GPAA claims . Not saying DLMA is bad at all , but in less you link large groups the simple GPAA with several good friends is worth more to me .

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join LDMA you get about 11 nice camps plus over 350 GPAA claims nation wide. Join only GPAA you get the claims no facilities but free camping. All depends on what you want.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An independent local club may be a better initial choice unless you plan to be a migrating prospector. In that case GPAA is quite a deal. Also, attend some meetings of the local GPAA chapter before you join the national org. See what those folks think of the local GPAA claims, which ones they go to, how is the gold, what prospecting methods are used, etc...make sure it is a good fit to your interests. Local GPAA chapters do not charge annual dues generally either and they can take you on an outing as a guest so you can see what it's all like for yourself!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LDMA is the "big brother" to the GPAA. All of the LDMA "main" sites are owned by the LDMA and usually have camping and RV facilities. The GPAA sites (most) are other claims "loaned" to the GPAA and are usually open, un-maintained sites. I am an LDMA member and as such, I have a certain amount to pay up (by contract). After the contract is fulfilled, I will then only have a $10 monthly maintenance after that. The GPAA is $30 monthly, I believe, for as long as you are a member. I also believe the LDMA membership is transferable, after you pass. I personally don't see the need to get the big LDMA package unless you are relatively young and will get years and years of potential prospecting out of the claims. TTC

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LDMA is the "big brother" to the GPAA. All of the LDMA "main" sites are owned by the LDMA and usually have camping and RV facilities. The GPAA sites (most) are other claims "loaned" to the GPAA and are usually open, un-maintained sites. I am an LDMA member and as such, I have a certain amount to pay up (by contract). After the contract is fulfilled, I will then only have a $10 monthly maintenance after that. The GPAA is $30 monthly, I believe, for as long as you are a member. I also believe the LDMA membership is transferable, after you pass. I personally don't see the need to get the big LDMA package unless you are relatively young and will get years and years of potential prospecting out of the claims. TTC
...or want RV hookups within sight of you diggin's!

Ps I think you mean GPAA is about $30/year to renew, not per month...right?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You are probably right, Kevin. Been a little while since I looked at the paperwork. Tnx for the correction. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GPAA 1 year renewal has gone up to $69.50 and includes .........

• latest Edition of the Mining Guide
  • 6 Issues Gold Prospector Magazine
  • 6 Issues Pick & Shovel Gazette
  • Bumper sticker, decal & patch

GG~

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
terry ! Your picture looks good for a senior citizen . I'm sure you go a lot of life left . But I to agree . But I'm a GPAA member and I really do like to venture out to different GPAA sites . Arizona , California , and Washington where I came from .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPAA 1 year renewal has gone up to $69.50 and includes ......... [*]latest Edition of the Mining Guide [*]6 Issues Gold Prospector Magazine [*]6 Issues Pick & Shovel Gazette [*]Bumper sticker, decal & patch GG~
Wow, no wonder I'm not a member!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LDMA has changed the transfer rules--some old memberships are transferable for a big fee but new ones not??? Contact head office for latest games.I belong to nuttn' no mo' . Use my own claims,no games,crowds or associated bs-John

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
terry ! Your picture looks good for a senior citizen . I'm sure you go a lot of life left . But I to agree . But I'm a GPAA member and I really do like to venture out to different GPAA sites . Arizona , California , and Washington where I came from .
Jair, I may have to change the avatar to a more recent pic.... that is my BOOT CAMP PIC!! Ha!! Some women are suiting me for "truth in advertising" laws because I'm not 18 anymore.... I'm 64 now. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jair, I may have to change the avatar to a more recent pic.... that is my BOOT CAMP PIC!! Ha!! Some women are suiting me for "truth in advertising" laws because I'm not 18 anymore.... I'm 64 now. TTC

Truth in advertising, LOL, look at women's makeup....

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread