EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all, I think I may have my first Bale seal. It's solid lead. They grew tobacco and cotton here back in the day. I wasn't able to get any info on this piece.. I am guessing the Co. is H.H. & Co.
I found a little H and H info, but not sure it fits.
You may not be able to tell by the picture, but it seems to be 2 pcs. one front, one back and joined by perhaps a stud in the center. It's about 1/4 " thick with both pcs. and a definite thin gap between the two. like a very skinny yo-yo.

LEAD SEAL OBVERSE.jpgLEAD SEAL REVERSE.jpg

Any help on if I am correct, that it's a seal? Any help on the Company ID? Any help on the specific use if u can?
All or any of these would be greatly appreciated.
You can imagine what I THOUGHT I had when I first uncovered it, the sound on the MD, the size and shape, and then I could see the crossed H's first.. my blood was moving. lol!

Thanks in advance!
Chris

It reminds me of a bank bag seal.

BankBagSeal.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It reminds me of a bank bag seal.

Hey ARRC, thanks, it could very well be. It's the first thing like it I have ever found. The two pcs are very tight together, it could have had a string between them. I wish I could figure out the HH if indeed it is an HH in the monogram or design. There are no local banks with those initials the past 100 years anyway. It was not in an area where bales would have been either though. But is next to a thoroughfare.
I'm going to have to study up on lead seals, and see what else they were used for. Mine is diff. than the ones you show, in that there are no holes for the strings to come through, its just a straight thin gap all round. Would it help if I posted a side view?

Anyway, for now, thanks for your response, so you're pretty sure it IS a seal right?

Upvote 0
Tnet member Broken Knee found a few of those per this thread - but no firm ID yet.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/205424-bag-seal-help-updated-find-pic-s.html

Thanks Bramblefind;
It certainly is the same thing.. If it's a wire seal, it's a big one! but at least now I know it's def a seal of some type. I also found the HH monogram in an ebook -
Monograms and Ciphers by albert Angus Turbayne.

The HH's seem to be basic simplified design which almost cannot be dated, it's been around so long. I don't think the seal is probably much older than 20th century though. Still cool however. Still had no luck finding the specific company yet. But at least I know what I have.

I'm going to have to get used to searching Tnets database. That was a good find - Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I agree with most here that H.H. & Co is most likely the company name, 20th C no older, & as it states Guaranteed it must be pointing towards a quality mark/seal of a particular product that HH & Co produced.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back