lead

diggy

Jan 4, 2013
bucks county, pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, i just joined this forum i've been MD'ing for about a year now and upgraded from a bounty hunter sharp shooter to an omega 8000 that i got a really good deal on and ive found tons of clad, old relics, and three silver coins. I been hunting some colonial homesites and keep finding whay appears to be melted puddles of lead at all of them. Is that a good sign that im swinging in the right areas? also what was lead commonly melted down for in the colonial era?

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a really interesting question. My other hobby is shooting flintlock rifles and I cast my own lead balls. Casting projectiles was probably the most common use for lead in colonial times. Maybe you are finding places where the slag (impurities skimmed off the surface of the lead) was discarded? Lead was valuable enough that I have a hard time imagining someone pouring out good lead. Could you post a photo of one of the lead pieces you found?

Storm

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lead is an inherently dangerous/injurious process because it is molten metal. It is used for making lead balls.... and done often. It would be my opinion that many injuries are caused during this process, hence, the spilled lead. TTC

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have molded and loaded over 20,000 lead bullets with little or no problem // In Colonial days lead was often used for many// uses // mixed with tin for puter ware/ flashing (as today) after a fire it is often found in lumps. Perry

OP
OP
D

diggy

Jan 4, 2013
bucks county, pa
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool thanks everybody and when i get a chance ill post some images of what i am finding.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have molded and loaded over 20,000 lead bullets with little or no problem // In Colonial days lead was often used for many// uses // mixed with tin for puter ware/ flashing (as today) after a fire it is often found in lumps. Perry
Perry, welcome to the Tnet. I am also finding blobs of lead on my girlfriend's land east of Murphys, CA. I suspected activity then found (so far) at least two foundations, a dump and gravesite. Also a pen for domestic animals. I am still looking for more STUFF! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread