learned my lesson

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been going through CWR dimes lately and when dumping them I always separate dimes from cents after reading other posts about dimes being counted as cents. Yesterday I went to a branch of my dump bank that I don't frequent too often. In the past when I have dumped dimes at these banks the count may be off by one or two dimes, but this time it was off by $30! Now I'm an idiot because when going through dimes I just rim check them and don't count how many dimes are actually in the rolls so it could be that the rolls were short, but going through $160 in dimes and only pulling a clad Australian and Canadian the rolls would have to be short by almost a dollar a roll. The branch manager went behind me and dumped a roll of quarters, dimes, nickels, and cents and it totaled $17.35, which meant it missed some of the coins. Number one, I won't be going back to that branch to dump coins, and number two, I'll be counting every dime I pull from CWRs from now on.

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope u get them back
in my experience they are as good as smoke now.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was once shorted $206.70 on a box of dimes... almost every dime was counted as a penny... it was bad.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was once shorted $206.70 on a box of dimes... almost every dime was counted as a penny... it was bad.

Did they have security cam footage on the coin machine? Should have shown a bunch of silver pennies lol.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got my money back after 3 weeks and about 20 phone calls later, they had to specifically send out the bag for "recount"
Did they have security cam footage on the coin machine? Should have shown a bunch of silver pennies lol.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't have any pennies when I dumped but the print out at the end counted 1. I'm guessing that the rolls were probably short by a little but not by $30. I'm pretty much screwed because I didn't actually count the individual coins as I went through them, just the rolls. I'm thinking about just re wrapping the dimes as I go through them since they are coming in customer wrappers, that way I don't lose any money and go back to the bank I got them from when they are short more than a few dimes.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I don't want to do CWR. Yeah maybe there is a chance you get some nice rolls but there is a much greater chance you get shorted.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have any pennies when I dumped but the print out at the end counted 1. I'm guessing that the rolls were probably short by a little but not by $30. I'm pretty much screwed because I didn't actually count the individual coins as I went through them, just the rolls. I'm thinking about just re wrapping the dimes as I go through them since they are coming in customer wrappers, that way I don't lose any money and go back to the bank I got them from when they are short more than a few dimes.

Thats odd they should have been counted as pennies Ive never heard of them just passing through with out being counted as anything, and I would think you would notice if they were that short. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had any sealed boxes of half dollar missing any rolls. Usually it's just one or two rolls are short a half dollar and then later in the box one or two rolls will have an extra half dollar. Recently I had a box of half dollars that was plus .75 cents. I've also found a dime and a quarter in the middle of rolls from another box.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I've also gotten one sealed box with a missing roll. Luckily I open my boxes immediately after getting in the car to check for enders & took it right back inside to show our teller so she gave me $10 to make up for the missing roll

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a quarter in that SOB?

I've had two individual MWRs of half dollars that had a quarter in the middle and one MWR of half dollars with a dime. All three rolls were the yellow and white half dollar rolls. Maybe we should start a thread about finding other denominations of coins in MWRs...

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the thought makes me nauseous, good luck! On a somewhat non-related sidenote, I've had boxes of sealed half dollars with missing rolls in them before.
I have too crhstreetwalker. Kinda bites when you lose Ten bucks before you even open a roll. errrrr

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
$100,000+ cwr dimes and I've never counted a single one. I DO count the rolls sometimes, and have been shorted one.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Never know what will happen or what you will find. (Guitar Picks, wooden nickel, tokens, etc.).

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been short a few times so what why cry and piss the bank off.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I opened a roll of machine wrapped halves:

19x halves
2x presidential dollars

LOL

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I opened a roll of machine wrapped halves:

19x halves
2x presidential dollars

LOL

I had a roll a few weeks ago that had 20 halves and a presidential dollar kinda stuck to the bottom I just tapped it in my hand and it came out I dont know how something like that happens but hey I got a extra dollar lol

Last edited:

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought three bags of pennies the other day and in one of them there was a flattened penny. Like the ones you pay 51 cents for and then it crushes the penny into an oval with a design on it. Well I didn't know this until it got into my ryedale and made some pretty ugly noises

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread