learned my lesson

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been going through CWR dimes lately and when dumping them I always separate dimes from cents after reading other posts about dimes being counted as cents. Yesterday I went to a branch of my dump bank that I don't frequent too often. In the past when I have dumped dimes at these banks the count may be off by one or two dimes, but this time it was off by $30! Now I'm an idiot because when going through dimes I just rim check them and don't count how many dimes are actually in the rolls so it could be that the rolls were short, but going through $160 in dimes and only pulling a clad Australian and Canadian the rolls would have to be short by almost a dollar a roll. The branch manager went behind me and dumped a roll of quarters, dimes, nickels, and cents and it totaled $17.35, which meant it missed some of the coins. Number one, I won't be going back to that branch to dump coins, and number two, I'll be counting every dime I pull from CWRs from now on.

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, although I've noticed that nickel bags get the flat pennies, at least at the machine I've been buying bags off of. For me, CWRs have more often had more in them than short. I think I've found more dimes in penny rolls than pennies in dime rolls. Of course, I haven't gotten to do a whole lot of CWRs because unless the tellers are specifically saving them for me, they just dump them in the coin counter since businesses don't like the uncertainty of the count and the fact that CWRs tend to fall apart unexpectedly.

I've seen a few pennies in dime bags, and dimes in penny bags, never to much extent (3 or 4 in a bag) and occasionally a nickel in a quarter bag.

When it comes to bags and machines, I've noticed that there are a few irregularities:

Flat pennies register as nickels.
Chuck-E-Cheese tokens register as quarters, or occasionally nickels
Really small coins (half-dime or smaller sized) tend to be completely random in their distribution between nickel, dime and penny bags.
Mexican 1 peso coins (the small bimetallic ones) if they somehow escape the magnet end up in the penny or nickel bag
Mexican 50 centavo (the new bronze ones with the scalloped edges) end up in the nickel bag
Mexican 10 peso coins (the bimetallic ones) end up in half dollar bags
British half pennies (pre-decimal) end up in the (small) dollar bag
British pennies (pre-decimal) end up in the half dollar bag
British farthings end up in either the penny or nickel bag
British pennies (decimal) tend to end up in the penny or nickel bag
Portuguese 1 Escudo coins end up in the small dollar bag
Coins larger than a half dollar just end up spinning around in the machine (Ike dollars, French 5 Franc pieces)
Bent coins end up just spinning around in the machine

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
when a dime is miscounted as a cent (we have no pennies * the british use penny / pence / pennies) when dimes are counted as cents you get shorted by 9 cents per coin -major loss if there a good bit of em.

While the United States 1 cent coin is technically called a cent I'm pretty sure it is acceptable to call them pennies. Banks, cashiers, and the average Joe all call them pennies. The boxes even say pennies. I'm sure our terminology came from the real penny since we were british colonies. Just my two cents

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I been short a few times so what why cry and piss the bank off.

Tim, it would be one thing if I was shorted like a dollar or two but I was shorted $30.40 from $160 in dimes. I know you do a large volume of half dollars, so think of it like this. I was shorted 19% of what I picked up in dimes. If you did 45 boxes of halves in one week that is $22,500. Now if you went to dump that and the bank only gave you $18,225 back you would be short $4,275.

OP
OP
unclehuckelberry

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I did dump halves this morning. I went through the box and counted each one and since I was skunked I had exactly $500. When I went to dump it I found a quarter in the dump tray and the slip printed out $500.50 worth of halves and $.25 worth of quarters. One dollar closer to getting my $30.40 the bank or the person who turned in the rolls stole from me.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The penny/cent debate sounds to me a great deal like the magazine/clip debate. One is technically correct, the other is incredibly popular in everyday speech. Good luck convincing the other side you're right and they are wrong.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
caling american cents "penny / pennies" is a hold over from being a former british colony * folks were used to the british term for small copper coins (240 of which equaled a british pound sterling) - to signal our fiscal "independance" from the british as a "soverign country" we developed the 100 cent dollar system with the dollar being equal in value to he spanish 8 reale coin -- however many folks by sheer force of habit) wrongly called the new cent coins -penny or pennies instead of using their correct name (cent / cents ) --its just a bad , and wrong habit thats held on for hundreds of years

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also gotten one sealed box with a missing roll. Luckily I open my boxes immediately after getting in the car to check for enders & took it right back inside to show our teller so she gave me $10 to make up for the missing roll
The same thing happend to me at a first-time pick-up bank yesterday Mrs. CRH. I was going to let it go, not wanting to lose a new pick-up bank, but they were cool about it, after the teller talked to someone (manager?) she handed my a ten and said sorry.

Sorry Uncle-h that you lost so much, that's a tough one. Hope you make up for it in finds real soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread