leather preservation

S

stefen

I had a saddle made almost 35 years ago by Irvan Wallace who actually used bear grease rubbed into all unexposed and exposed pieces...its still supple today and is oiled once a year or so and no squeaks like most saddles. Wallace was in his 70's when he made the saddle, martingale and saddle bags, and was cantankerous as all get-out. His reputation was for making work saddles and many of the silver show saddles you see used today in the Rose Parade.

However, I have a piece of leather from the CW era thats dry as a bone which I plan to conserve with a silicone leather spray (to add moisture).

I guess it depends on the age of the item and how it is (or was) stored. Have seen backs of leather seats of the older Mercedes and Cadillacs that were constantly exposed to the sun actually crumble in your hands.

PBK's reference is also good to follow, however, many will dispute some or all of it.

Might go to an actual saddle maker (not a leather shop) and get his opinion...take your piece with you.

GPAZ

Oct 24, 2006
Roby, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
What you can use is some stuff called Lexol. It is a leather conditioner that is basically made out of animal fat. Saddle soap is basically a cleaner and will add some moisture to the leather, but if not cleaned off properly like in the cracks it will eventually dry it out worse. Like I said You just apply the lexol with a sponge or some thing periodically, and it will help preserve the leather. I use it on my saddles back home and my combat boots here and it has always worked great.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
this poster knows leather.........''''What you can use is some stuff called Lexol. It is a leather conditioner that is basically made out of animal fat. Saddle soap is basically a cleaner and will add some moisture to the leather, but if not cleaned off properly like in the cracks it will eventually dry it out worse. Like I said You just apply the lexol with a sponge or some thing periodically, and it will help preserve the leather. I use it on my saddles back home and my combat boots here and it has always worked great. '''' ....pay particular attention to where he tells you about the saddle soap as if not properly done will all but completely ruin leather.......another thing i do, although it will make leather appear darker it will definantly help preserve it, is apply a good amount of neatsfoot oil about once a year..enough to soak into it well.....gldhntr

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
i guess bacon grease could work, but i dunno if i could deal with the flys lol! I tried to find some of that foot oil, but no luck here in germany.I am going to have to wait til I hit the states in a week when we visit family. Thanks for all the suggestions! I want to keep my leather in good shape. I hope my collection in storage is still alright :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread