LeCroys?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
LeCroy's?

I've been trying to get better at IDing my shelter finds but most of the time I just get stumped. I found these two points yesterday in a rock shelter. Each is 1 1/4 length and both are very, very thin, the thinnest I've ever found. The first one has two "nipple" like things at the tip, odd! The second one looks like the tip was reworked after the center section was knocked out, again, odd.

Just looking at photos at lithics.net, this is the best I could come up with, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSCF1569.JPG
    DSCF1569.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 605
  • DSCF1572.JPG
    DSCF1572.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 602
  • DSCF1560.JPG
    DSCF1560.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 598
  • DSCF1561.JPG
    DSCF1561.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 603
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Re: LeCroy's?

I am not much of a splitter. Lecroy is a small bifurcate and that is what ya got. That first one is really interesting. Looks like a bifurcated point and a knapping doodle all in one. Was the second one dug out of a fire pit?

Good post.

Chuck

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye

OK not sure if I am spelling this right but could the first one be a attempt at an eccentric piece? Second guess and more likely it looks like it might be ground above the two notches that are side by side? If so it looks like it could have been a hafted small axe/hatchet type before the original tip was broke and resharpened. My brother has one that resembles that but its about 3 by 1.5 and you can see the griding above his notches for hafting the artifact.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice shelter finds 1320. I need to start searching rock shelters!! Thanks for the search/pics.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ohioaxeman said:
I'd say Lecroy too. :icon_thumleft:
Yep sure is. I have only found one good one and the site they are named for is not far from me. I think it was Archie Lecroy??

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Rockiologist said:
OK not sure if I am spelling this right but could the first one be a attempt at an eccentric piece? Second guess and more likely it looks like it might be ground above the two notches that are side by side? If so it looks like it could have been a hafted small axe/hatchet type before the original tip was broke and resharpened. My brother has one that resembles that but its about 3 by 1.5 and you can see the griding above his notches for hafting the artifact.

Interesting point Rock. This one still baffles me. Depending upon how you hold it, looks like it could have been hafted in three different fashions. My first thought on the extra "piece" was that it was a barb but I've since ruled that out after reexamining it. Any such thing as a tri notch? LOL

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.

as far as i can tell your first two photos are of an eccentric point with a pretty locroy base,, the last two photos are of a locroy without an inclusion that weartherd faster than the rest of the point.. Terry

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

Dandy little bifurcates, kind of like Ohio mentioned I clump them all together because I've seen people split them and I just can't really see the differences unless they come from a dated site. I tend to call them all lecroys, and archaeologists tend to call them Archaic Bifurcated Base points/knives. I think MacCorkle and Nottoway are the oldest ones probably coming out of the Hardaway/Dalton cluster and Stanley points were the end of the Biffy tradition in the mid to late archaic.

I've seen several toothy Lecroys like that, and that seems to be the form they take towards then end of their useful life. I guarrantee if you look at that thing under a scope it is covered in use wear. They were used hard and put away wet kind of points.

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio

ohio said:
I am not much of a splitter. Lecroy is a small bifurcate and that is what ya got. That first one is really interesting. Looks like a bifurcated point and a knapping doodle all in one. Was the second one dug out of a fire pit?

Good post.

Chuck
#2 definitely been in a fire exhausted bifurcates

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Found this toothy example a few days ago, same site. "Used hard and put away wet" ;D

Attachments

• DSCF1604.JPG
    DSCF1604.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF1604.JPG
    DSCF1604.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 270

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Lecroy style is pretty distinct and enough of them around that I think they were made that way and not exhausted down into a Lecroy shape. Of course once that point was made and then used it was used hard and like you said rode hard and hung up wet and exhausted. My guess only but I CAN see a Maccorkle being worn down and turned into that or even a kirk bifuricate now that is was mentioned. Nice finds an interesting observations by the board members. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread