sweat'n4gold

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2017
Alva, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Black Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all, I am very new to metal detecting but have always had an interest in history and archeology. While doing my research on the hobby I was suprised to learn that there are no current metal detecting clubs in the Fort Myers/Naples area. I dont think it is because of lack of interest at least I hope not. With that I posted this thread in the hopes of gauging support in the local community. If you are interested and will commit the time necessary to build a viable club let me know. This is a worthwile endeavor and any support will help make it successful.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think BWDAVE tried to rally a group down that way and we heard crickets chirping. Maybe you guys can get some support now.

OP
OP
S

sweat'n4gold

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2017
Alva, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Black Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did read a post that was a few years old about a club here. I heard a phrase once "build it and they will come" :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clubs have been falling from favor like many of the brick and mortar stores since the internet arrived. Many MDers are in FB groups and or on other forums. Sometimes just hanging here on Tnet is as good as attending a meeting, in my eyes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Clubs have been falling from favor like many of the brick and mortar stores since the internet arrived. Many MDers are in FB groups and or on other forums. Sometimes just hanging here on Tnet is as good as attending a meeting, in my eyes.

Correct. Ever since the internet became common-place (late 1990s and early 2000s), everyone gets their socializing and info-exchange on the net now. We have become lazy. No longer a need to go to a monthly meeting to see show & tells, meet others, learn the pro's & con's of machine comparisons, etc.... It's all done from the comfort of your easy chair now :(

Clubs only survive in the largest cities any more . R.I.P.

I'm Hoping

Feb 19, 2017
Ft.Myers, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like what these guys said. I meet a guy from Naples that was wanting to start a club but as of 3 months ago,
now nothing. See what technology does to us.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I keep hearing how clubs and meeting in person is a thing of the past, yet meet up groups abound all over the country, some for metal detecting. Computers can’t replace human interaction. As of December 2015, meetup.com had 24 million members.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sweat'n4gold

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2017
Alva, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Black Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes good sense. Well maybe an online group for the area then. To organize hunts and socialize about local detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread