Legalities of hunting water ways (fresh water)... any creek/river hunters here?

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Ohio I don't get the chance to hunt any "real" beaches so I am looking for local alternatives. My brother just moved to a new house that is about a 1/4 mile from the Olentangy river here in Columbus. It's bigger than a creek but in the heat of the summer there are many places that are only 6" deep that you could walk through. He and I like to kayak down the river and I've been itching to take a detector with me.

So the question is... what are the legalities of detecting a river like this? I realize that the banks are likely owned by the landowners whose properties butt up against the river. But what about detecting out in the middle? How about sand bars and rocky areas out in the middle of the water? Will the DNR have me arrested? Army Corps of Engineers? EPA? "Friends Of the Rare Protected Olentangy Oyster Plains" (otherwise known as "FORPOOP" :laughing7:)?

Any info or tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated. There are lots of very secluded areas of this river that are only about a foot deep in the dry season. I'm wondering what kind of trouble (both good and bad) I could get into.

I'm looking to start my research early so that I have plenty of time to work out my game plan for when the weather gets warm.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookindown... We understand Tom completely. We also disagree with him. Frankly, you can't come into this forum without tripping over one of his soap boxes since he leaves them laying around in virtually everyone else's threads but his own. It is tiresome. We all have our opinions and you guys are welcome to yours. Why can't we be welcome to ours?
I hear what you are saying...its just a disscusion, no one is mad.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next time you go to the beach ask the lifeguard if its ok to spread your blanket out, if its ok throw a football, if its ok to drink a coke, if its ok to pick up a seashell. Why should detecting be any different? Tom clearly said that when it says no detecting then dont do it. He is only talking about when there is no written rule about it then dont ask, just do it. I honestly dont think some of the people understood what he was saying. As far as going by the law, the people that dont turn the rings they find over to the police are breaking the law. Im in that group too. We all know that no one cares so we do it. Didnt know that you had trouble with Tom on other threads, sorry if I got in the middle of something.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Tom clearly said that when it says no detecting then dont do it. He is only talking about when there is no written rule about it then dont ask, just do it. ...

thanx lookindown, I got in over my head on this one. Didn't even want to perpetuate it, to try to unravel the few counter-opinions, for fear of this getting too lengthy. So, yes, we'll just drop it at this, and ...... it's all good for us to get our opinions out there.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gee thanks!

"He is only talking about when there is no written rule about it then dont ask, just do it. ..."

its possible to overthink things but there are plenty times when you better know what your getting into before you jump!!!! the original questions were valid!
chuck.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gee thanks!

"He is only talking about when there is no written rule about it then dont ask, just do it. ..."

its possible to overthink things but there are plenty times when you better know what your getting into before you jump!!!! the original questions were valid!
chuck.
The original questions were absolutely valid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions