Legend of the Stone Maps

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Frank, if I'm interpreting Bob's story of the finding of the stones, it sounds like the Horse/Priest stone was the only one found first. It was taken to Texas and later Robert and Travis both went back and using the "search for the map, search for the heart" from that first stone, they uncovered the 2 trail stones (maps 2 and 3) and underneath they found the broken heart stone.

If that's all true, it's interesting because it means the photo we've seen of the trail stones and heart on the automobile bumper were from the 2nd trip, not the first. It also means the heart stone was broken when they found it, so they are probably the ones who "repaired it" with whatever glue they used.

Of course all that assumes Bob's story is correct and I have no clue about that.

The last bit that I'll try to transcribe tonight talks a little bit about communication between Robert and Bob over the years. He mentions that he has a number of original letters (of which Greg probably got at least a few). Bob for some reason implies that it's his desire to divide those letters amongst a number of people and places (libraries, etc...) eventually - he seems to have a "thing" against giving everything to one person and would rather divide everything up.

I won't get around to transcribing the rest of the tape for awhile, but there's a few things I found of interest.

1) Bob tells a story about an uncle of his who supposedly met and/or knew Jacob Waltz at one point in his life. I've never heard that story, so have no idea if there's any factual information there or if it's just one of what Joe would call "hell, I was there" stories.

2) I got the strong feeling that Bob never did any searching for the Lost Dutchman or very minimal at least. He came to the conclusion early on that it would be a better use of time and more potentially valuable to use his self taught geology skills to search out new mines and prospects rather than spend time looking for something that was lost and may be too hard to find.

3) He does spend a little time talking about his prospecting and mine claims and stuff in the Millsite Canyon area primarily, so I would guess that stuff might be of interest to you Frank, although I don't think he really gives much specific information that can be followed up on - then again, I don't know that area, so you may pick up on something I couldn't.

Glad you found it interesting. I always find myself listening to those old interviews and cringing when I hear them say something that I wish I could ask important followup questions, but they move on to something else. I bet Greg feels the same way now that he has so much more experience doing taped interviews.

Paul. I talk to you about the Uncle story. I know about it but it's someone else's thing and I won't post on it. I followed up on Bobs claims and know where most are by the description. I've been there and it did pop out for me.

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff Paul, answers some questions, of course it raises others. Thanks for taking the time to transcribe it. :occasion14:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oroblanco

I believe when it said " 5 maps made on stone slabs " , we can recognize for sure the number of the maps but not for sure how many stone slabs are . See the horse / priest maps which are on a single stone slab .
So keep the " 5 " which is sure and put an " ? " on the stone slabs .
A Greek proverb says: " Don't leave the bird which you hold in your hand in exchange with another which is on the fence "

Marius I fear that we are separated by a common language. I respectfully disagree but - can agree to disagree happily. :thumbsup:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubber, you said --- Bob does stumble a bit in his stories and confuses things, but I believe he was in his 80's at this time so it is what it is.

Only thing that I have to say is "watch it buster".

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubber, you said --- Bob does stumble a bit in his stories and confuses things, but I believe he was in his 80's at this time so it is what it is.

Only thing that I have to say is "watch it buster".

I hear you - trust me, I'm not getting any younger either :)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff Paul, answers some questions, of course it raises others. Thanks for taking the time to transcribe it. :occasion14:

No problem - since you're interested in that area out there as well, once I actually get around to transcribing the whole thing I'll send you a copy as well. It is an interesting interview.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul. I talk to you about the Uncle story. I know about it but it's someone else's thing and I won't post on it. I followed up on Bobs claims and know where most are by the description. I've been there and it did pop out for me.

He spends quite a bit of time actually early in the interview on his uncle, so I'm looking forward to sitting down this weekend and trying to get my audio enhancement software to work again.

There's also a pretty interesting story in there that he got from Herman about the time Herman, his dad and Rhiney when out into the mountains with Julia - it gives a little insight into the relationship the Petrasche's had with Julia and what they thought about her and her "clues" to finding Waltz's mine.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your public awaits... more interview transcriptions, please.:notworthy:

Sorry for the delay - I need to get my computer program up and running this weekend before I do more transcribing - it allows me to copy all the cassettes and combine them into one digital recording that I can then get rid of the hiss and click sounds and also adjust the treble/bass, etc... to get the best sound quality, but the MOST IMPORTANT feature is that I can use my mouse to listen to specific sections as needed to do the transcription. For the part I did earlier, I had a simple boombox that I had to constantly hit stop, rewind, pause, play, etc... and it was TEDIOUS :).

There's a few other interesting stories of Bob's that are worth transcribing and posting and I'll do that when I can.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for the delay - I need to get my computer program up and running this weekend before I do more transcribing - it allows me to copy all the cassettes and combine them into one digital recording that I can then get rid of the hiss and click sounds and also adjust the treble/bass, etc... to get the best sound quality, but the MOST IMPORTANT feature is that I can use my mouse to listen to specific sections as needed to do the transcription. For the part I did earlier, I had a simple boombox that I had to constantly hit stop, rewind, pause, play, etc... and it was TEDIOUS :).

There's a few other interesting stories of Bob's that are worth transcribing and posting and I'll do that when I can.

first thank you for transcribing the interviews, very interesting
would it be possible, to put the new digital recording/s,up in dropbox
or you tube, i would love to hear the tone in and of their voices

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first thank you for transcribing the interviews, very interesting
would it be possible, to put the new digital recording/s,up in dropbox
or you tube, i would love to hear the tone in and of their voices

That's an interesting question. While I know Greg allows people to listen to and/or make copies of at least some of his tape recorded interviews, I wouldn't feel right just uploading them to dropbox or youtube without his permission. Let me get them finished first and then see what Greg says - it might be awhile before all that is done, but I won't forget about the idea - it would definitely be an interesting way to share the interview.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Cubfan64, thank you, i wasnt sure on copyright/permissions
i know hearing the word
NO and no and no, or whatever
word, can change the concept of the idea/ideal your
trying to get across to your audience, it would be interesting
to hear that
intonation, i think thats the right word

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Hal there's no difference the paper map was made from the Stone maps

Wrmickel1

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Which came first, the paper or the stone? There is also a reference to a CLOTH set of maps which were supposed to be duplicates. So which came first?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several important differences and I honestly can not say which came first. If the "paper" map came second, it should be dated (tested). Any close ups of the paper and ink would help. The results might be a (game changer) for everyone and I am in for $50.00 if you can make it happen.

Look again at the composite map red/black. It's not an exact tracing of the stones for sure, not in scale or composition. So, we really don't know which came first. Do you know the history of the paper map?

Edit: game changer - Meaning, if that paper/parchment map dates to 1850ish or earlier, the chances of the stones being a hoax are slim. IMO.

Here is another way to view the differences.
View attachment 1160183

I like it Hal. Glad you posted it.

I just found out this week end what that damn old removable heart means.
It's a removable Key Stone. The Keystone is the corner stone of Free Masonry. I have to remove it in order to see the rest of the map. Been working on that one for sometime. The Heart is referring too a door way or at least the empty hole the heart fits in. In order to open a door you need a key. The Key is a stone stuck in a doorway that blocks the sun from showing the map. I'll be filming this event later this year with my time lapsed camera. All openings, dots, circles in circles, squares, rectangles, holes, slots, rock-sky openings, hearts are door representations on maps and in the field.

I can draw a picture of it but if I show you it to you it may open a door we don't want anyone going through.

I think your right though do the study on the paper so we can see which came first the Chicken or the Egg.

I haven't seen any maps to date that look like they're on the paper like the maps I posted from Seville Archives of the Indies.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal,

Just a guess. The center circle is either elevated or at a lower level than the outer circle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread