Leopard Shot In Indiana

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger....I must one day come and spend a couple of weeks with you, we can sit around and I can listen to some of your stories, I bet you have some great tales to tell :icon_thumleft:

SS

I would truly enjoy that Colin,thats all I have is stories anymore.....

another time there was something like 1200 Boy scouts camped at Yosemite Park,and were all sleeping in double tents.Well with that many young boys,somebody was bound to sneak some goodies in....and goodies bring Yogi,well Yogi startled a young camper who startled Yogi back and in his hasty retreat took out several tents,stepped on a couple boys and caused a mass pandamonium!!!So,my supervisor and I were to cage trap this bear if we could....key being the right bear....very healthy bear pop!!!Our best bait was to fry up some bacon and use the grease on some dog food.We cooked the bacon on a small Coleman stove....on the tail gate of one of the pick ups like we always did....difference was it was near dark when we were doing this and unlike most times when we would set the trap and leave this time we would be sleeping on the front seats of or individual trucks......so,bout midnight,my boss comes over the radio,to look in the back of his truck,I peer over my steering wheel through my windshield I see theis LARGE dark blob in the back of the truck where we had cooked the bacon....and the truck where my boss was "asleep",on the front seat!!!What to do?We had no reason to kill it....if we did,there was no safe way.....had a 50/50 chance that it would startle...these bears were very acustomed to people......well when it proceeded to begin to tear the lid off of the cross bed tool box to get to the Donuts,my boss had stashed,my boss jumped out hollaring(In a evident frightened voice...the bear was litteraly three feet from him....and above him...I would have been scared too)fortunatly the bear hauled tail off,and when he jumped he actually moved the whole truck several inches!!!We did catch a bear that night and did relocate it.....was it the right bear?Will never know

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is interesting and I am enjoying reading it. Great story Kuger

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rather off to left field here...
the copper mines' position is jaguar belong south of the U.S.- Mexican border..."they don't belong here..."

Only Wild Jaguar in US Photographed Near Site of Proposed Copper Mine : Animals : Nature World News

Only Wild Jaguar in US Photographed Near Site of Proposed Copper Mine : Animals : Nature World News

"The copper company folks were quick to point out that jaguar range around and that there are other places for him to live. However, the Santa Rita are a small (but tall in the center) mountain range. The nearby alternative habitat is good but not extensive. The mine site is about 7000 acres (10 square miles). A recent study concluded that the mine would degrade wildlife habitat on an additional 90,000 acres!"

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid {a hundred years ago}, I spent every summer on my grandparents farm in Clark County Indiana. Once we were driving thru an area known as " the knobs" and we were stopped by a group of armed men and warned to keep our windows up. They said "there is a panther running loose". Every grown man in the area was out with a rifle trying to get it. Never heard weather they did or not. Both my grandparents worked and I ran loose on the farm all summer from the time I was 7 or 8 until I turned 16. Nearest house was 1/2 mile. Nearest phone was a mile. The good life!!! steve

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Well.. the common ordinary person can't see things that hasn't been confirmed by a professional person in that field of study.
If a game warden, or biologist, sees a large cat in an area where they are not known, then it becomes credible.
Until several common people report the same sighting, only then is the reports investigated to confirm the animal.
Until then.. what you say you saw might as well be "swamp gas"! :icon_scratch:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.. the common ordinary person can't see things that hasn't been confirmed by a professional person in that field of study.
If a game warden, or biologist, sees a large cat in an area where they are not known, then it becomes credible.
Until several common people report the same sighting, only then is the reports investigated to confirm the animal.
Until then.. what you say you saw might as well be "swamp gas"! :icon_scratch:
....why dont they ever kill one of these phantom Black Panthers???Cant argue with that?I find it extremely odd that one has not been killed even if by a car....I mean to listen to yall,they are all over?No sightings dont hold credibility....proof does.If I went after every "sighting",of a problem animal I would never sleep,and if I took what every body reportedly seen as th truth I would be thoroughly convinced that I must be blind!Show me a dead animal,and I am convinced....show me....Missori Style

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, no one has found a dead bigfoot either, but they exist. I saw it on TV!!

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The thing I really wonder about is how many large cats are shot and kill will no reports, pictures, or ever a word?
I've heard of several being killed and have seen a few pictures.
I gave my word that I wouldn't tell the exact location or give names on a cougar that was killed in Tennessee that I helped bury.
Until you see and touch one.. you really don't know what's out there or where they came from!

Kuger.. guess you missed my other post above?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger.. guess you missed my other post above?
...I did miss that....and I am not saying in anyway that I dont beleive what you saw,but.........if there was as many as people see,I promise you that there would be one hit by a car or some body shoot one that couldnt keep their mouth shut....gurantee it...people TALK,especially about things they should not.We have beat this horse to death that Melanism is the cause of any Feline to be black,it is VERY rare,can,and does occur,but there is no special line of Feline that is Black,and there is not very many of them.Stats dont lie my friend.Look at how many lions exist on my side of the Rockies,and there has NEVER been a black one killed out here either....I have seen an albino

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
...I did miss that....and I am not saying in anyway that I dont beleive what you saw,but.........if there was as many as people see,I promise you that there would be one hit by a car or some body shoot one that couldnt keep their mouth shut....gurantee it...people TALK,especially about things they should not.We have beat this horse to death that Melanism is the cause of any Feline to be black,it is VERY rare,can,and does occur,but there is no special line of Feline that is Black,and there is not very many of them.Stats dont lie my friend.Look at how many lions exist on my side of the Rockies,and there has NEVER been a black one killed out here either....I have seen an albino

I only know what "I saw".. I can't say for sure about anyone else. But, I have seen pictures of black cats that "was said" to have been shot in Tennessee.
The black cat I saw may have been a pet? It may have come from that "cat farm" I was telling you about? I have no idea?
I'm just telling you what I saw, just the same as others. If you don't believe me.. oh well! I have nothing to prove to you or any man.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This big cat was shot just a few miles from where I live. Someone must have been keeping this leopard as an illegal pet and it got lose. These are pretty cool looking cats, its a shame that it couldn't be captured and given to a zoo somewhere.

The only big cats that I have ever seen out here (big being larger than a domesticated house cat) are Bobcats. Most of the sightings are via pictures caught on outdoor trail cameras. These Bobcats typically avoid people, and once in a while I may catch a glimpse of one running out in front of my car late at night in the most rural parts of the country, yet I have never seen or heard of any being hit on the road.

We did have this local dumb@ss several years ago shoot one while hunting, just to "prove to his buddies" that they exist. He took a picture of his kill and submitted it to the local paper, who published it. About a week later this article appeared: Hunter shoots bobcat in Crawford County

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only know what "I saw".. I can't say for sure about anyone else. But, I have seen pictures of black cats that "was said" to have been shot in Tennessee.
The black cat I saw may have been a pet? It may have come from that "cat farm" I was telling you about? I have no idea?
I'm just telling you what I saw, just the same as others. If you don't believe me.. oh well! I have nothing to prove to you or any man.
I do beleive ya bud,and you are a very fortunate man!!....Also,I dont recommend in any way somebody shooting one if they do see one..!!
We are flat covered up out here with Bobcats,not uncommon to see 5-10 a day when they are breeding...lots of supposedly endangered lions too....endangered my foot....only thing endangered is sense!

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I do beleive ya bud,and you are a very fortunate man!!....Also,I dont recommend in any way somebody shooting one if they do see one..!!
We are flat covered up out here with Bobcats,not uncommon to see 5-10 a day when they are breeding...lots of supposedly endangered lions too....endangered my foot....only thing endangered is sense!

Kuger...

Don't take what I said the wrong way... fact is, I would be very surprised if you believed me! :laughing7:
But I sure would love to be able to get real close to one!
I wish I had pictures or video of the cougar we buried on Signal Mountain.. it did have a full set of claws, they weren't trimmed like a pet would be.
The cat was well feed and wasn't skinny like it didn't know how to hunt.

I just don't have an answer about the "Black Panthers" that's been sighted and reported?
One was seen by many in Louisiana in 2011 by so many people, a search was made by police and the wildlife people.
They did find large tracks and a few pictures were made of the black cat by several people.

This is funny...
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"A U.S. Forest Service worker named Terrence Fletcher claimed to have been the target of a big black cat along the Chattooga River in January 2007. Fletcher said the animal charged him, forcing a retreat into the ice-cold river." They said it had to be a lost pet!?

If I had to guess where the cat I saw came from... my vote would be that large cat
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]sanctuary(Tiger Haven) near my home![/FONT][/FONT]

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is completly beleivable,about the Pet "Sanctuaries",I told you about Michael Jacksons didnt I?Yep,I told my good friend and Co-worker he was flat out full o chit and needed to take some time off....turned out it was a Black lion that he wasnt supposed to have and it got loose.
I just read hat the Famous White Gorilla Snowflake was inbred,its a shame that there is so much money in this stuff and they inbreed to get Albino and Melanism....

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've read where they inbreed melanistic leopards in zoos to maintain the color.

I can't see why they would permit anyone to own a large cat as a pet.. crazy world!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be completly honest I dont think many animals should even be kept in Zoo's,but with World Gov.'s not allowing poachers to be shot on sight,zoo's may preserve the existence of some breeds.I just seen that the Black Rhino is officially extinct

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its probably been 30 yrs ago now. I was in my 20's and was with a friend fishing off a bridge in Florida. Back then there wasnt much growth not many people in our little town. Wasnt much to do but fish and party. We were on top of a bridge fishing and saw a huge snake swimming. Its head was probably 2 ft long and a dark brown in color. Couldnt see its length till it went under. We yelled when we saw it and my buddy started running to the car till I grabbed him and told him we would be safer on top of the bridge in case it was hungry. After we got the courage to make a run to the truck and get out of there we called the Game Warden to report it. They said we were crazy and there was no such thing as a snake that big in Florida ever reported. Now look at the snakes in Florida. The worst thing is the lake we saw it in was a big skiing lake, we never went swimming in there after seeing it.

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
What a beautiful animal. Ashamed it wasn't captured alive and donated to a zoo somewhere. Perhaps the idiot shooting at pacing shadows could have been used as bait.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful animal. Ashamed it wasn't captured alive and donated to a zoo somewhere. Perhaps the idiot shooting at pacing shadows could have been used as bait.
...well seeins how Leopards are not native so one would expect one,a "Pro",(idiot)told her it was a Bobcat(which can be legally killed)they have a right to protect their pets and/or livestock,lets not judge :thumbsup:....and would a zoo have been a more humane?For bait really?Why?Did they torture this animal?No,bit over reactive dont ya think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread