lesson learned......46 degrees does not mean the ground thawed

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
I've been gone for a while but I have checked in to see what everyone is finding. Today prior to the big game I figured I'd round out the day by going out for a quick hunt. Forcast said 45 degrees checked my yard ground didn't seem to bad......Soooo I packed up the gear dress for the occasion and headed to a spot close to home. I should have known when I had to lock in the 4 wheel drive that I should turn around, but the itch to detect was too powerful. I also figured I'm here now what could it hurt.
I jumped out of the truck only to realize I dressed a little to warm for the trip. So I removed a layer and grabbed the gear. I start up through the corn field to a foundation I found a couple of years ago. As I'm walking I notice my boots keep getting heavier and heavier from the clods of mud that are now clinging to they, but my site is right on the other side of the field........
Aha finally I arrive at my destination only to realize I left my water in the truck right beside my sunglasses and it was bright out. None the less I'm here and start my quest. I noticed that there has been some dirt moved around by what looks like a dozer but nothing was removed just small piles all over. I figured this could be a good thing because the green briars are now gone.
I start my search not getting much in the way of signals then Finally the beep........Solid Quarter signal 2" down. Excited I start digging only to realize the ground is far more frozen then I thought. Not deterred I start digging. I have a little pick that I've used before while detecting. Thump thump thump with the pick then Snap!.....No more pick and not much of a dent in the ground. Sooo I pull out my trusty 7-in-1 tool (i mean come on it's a solid quarter hit). Dig Dig Dig with the 7 in 1 tool...then Snap !
Really discouraged I give up on the target because I'm out of tools to dig with.......I figured I'd mark the spot for spring. I continued to search a little more to really rub it in that I have no tools. Beep goes the signal again on a little dirt bank. Penny/dime signal......I think Hmm one good kick should loosen the bank a little and it does........Sifting through the dirt I pull out this 1910 wheat penny and call it a day....
So the day not being a total loss except for having to replace tools and do a load on laundry because of all the mud. I did get a nice wheat penny and now to settle down and watch the Game (GO CARDS) that is unless all the TV's in the house break............Good luck all

FYI the PA ground in really frozen good !

Here's some pictures enjoy
3S

Attachments

• Dsc01300.jpg
    Dsc01300.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 861
  • Dsc01303.jpg
    Dsc01303.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 865
  • Dsc01302.jpg
    Dsc01302.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 863
Upvote 0

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend the money and invest in a lesche digger...well worth the investment....Steve

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 3S... I don't know what to say, but that just sucks!!! I have NEVER seen one of those Ames diggers (just bought a new one a week ago because the first one got lost) break like THAT!!? That ground must really be rock hard!

The upside though, and I know it'll take a little time for contact and return... but that Ames tool has a Lifetime Warranty on it. Just contact them and they should be able to get you a brand new one! Sorry about the pick though, looks like your SOL with that one.....

Bran <><

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had planned a long day out for tomorrow as the past few weeks the weather (and ground) here have been great - But we've suddenly plunged into the deep freeze again - Nasty snow storm coming in from Siberia - Well below 0 out there - Oh well! >:( I hope it'll all be gone in a few days.

S

seger98

Gosh, I wonder if that solid quarter signal is a Barber Quarter? ??? Sleep well

To bad about the diggin' tools.

Chris

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice wheatie...
Just relax and watch the game.
I'm going to record it and go hunting instead.
What did you mark that spot with?

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have the same exact shovel, used it as a hammer on a flathead last week to get through the grass, it was 27 degrees, great shovel, good find I concur go cards!!

P

pippinwhitepaws

Copperhead said:
Nice wheatie....but I like the little pick axe better... :thumbsup:

lol, 20 minutes and that pick is good as new...probably better.

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
You can fix the axe, new handle and good as new.. (might want to go fiberglass).

Hey.. I got the itch (38 here today) but with 20+ inches of snow.. I figure I can wait a month.. :wink:

Happy Hunting
Go Cards!

J2

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Sabre Tooth Trowel I get for $9.99 from TC- Metal Detectors. Great Trowel, after a long time the handle rips and tears off the end but you would have to put a ton of pressure on it to break it any other way. I broke a few cheap ones but not this one.... My hunting partner uses the same one, he has the same results as me.

I think you need a full size shovel or something for most frozen ground anyway. I remember seeing a Youtube video of some guys digging in frozen ground with a hammer and chisel to get a large cent... lol

Oh well, at least you found a wheat...

Enjoy the Game,

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
3searchin

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
Thanks Everyone.
IT was a trying day, but fun none the less.
I love the Ames 7-in-1 tool. It's been great for me for a long time. I actually have two more but I didn't have them with me. Usually my two boys go along, but today was dad's day out...........As for the little pick, It was a purchase at a public sale and I'll make a new ash handle for it it'll be good as new.

I think the quarter maybe old, maybe barber but definitely silver (if it's actually a quarter that is and not a smashed bottle cap or a shotgun shell or something silly like that). I usually carry a couple of little flags like property flag to mark hits so the boys can dig them, but they wouldn't stick in the ground so I just piled a bunch of rocks and I wont forget where it's at.....believe me...the foundation has been there since the early 1800's and lived in until about 1920ish until the structure started to fail and collapse.

I also knew the ground would be a little frozen but usually with a little work you can get through it (providing your tools don't break that is). I probably should have taken a little bigger shovel, but seeing the finds on here I just couldn't wait to get out......

So far the TV's are still working....LOL

thanks again for looking....
3S

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
AT LEAST YOU GOT TO HUNT FOR A WHILE. GOOD DAY'S BAD DAY'S. MAY YOU HAVE A GREAT 2009.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I got out today in 46 degree weather and just ended up with a dime. I do agree its not thawed yet.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went out yesterday.... 70 degrees, no jacket all my targets still frozen. the dirt was soft about 1/4 inch then frozen dirt...got a couple of dollars and gave it up....labor intensive.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i have gone out three days in a row...45-50 degrees with a brisk wind...ground is froze in the shade areas only.
i have a wind burn, one turquoise bracelet, and a view to die for.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Like everyone else said; at least ya got out. I have a sure cure for your pick hammer. I have done this to several of my autobody hammers, that I got tired of buying new expensive handles for. Go to harbor Freight and buy a cheap 1/2 inch drive extension, cut off male end, grind to fit inside hammer hole and weld to head, the female end with the knob can be wrapped with friction tape for a non-slip grip. I still have my original hammers that I have done this with, and after 30 years of use, and they are still going strong, and I have even used them for pry bars at times........NGE

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
3searchin....I did the same thing on Sunday, got some good signals but the ground was too hard to dig...This coming weekend is looking more promising here in PA.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the tools. WTG on the 1910 wheatie....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread