Lets Dig Some Old Coins!

gutzdigger

Greenie
Apr 6, 2004
Nashville Tennessee
If you are like me you are tired of hitting all the playgrounds and soccer fields for clads. I wanna dig some old stuff! What do you look for in a site? Which sites are best and how deep do you dig to get the old coins. I love digging relics but have never dug an old coin at one of these spots. I see a lot of oldies each month at our club meeting but i cant seem to dig any myself and our club members arent as open as I hoped to help. As always any coments are welcome and Happy Hunting!? ???? ?Thanks GUTZ

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Where do you live? I may be able to help with some ideas. City/State would help.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Battle fields are good places for relics & coins in TN

do some research on your area for a few!

HH

M

mattjd

Hey Gutz, if you want to find old coins and are sick of all the clad, detect at OLD sites like: old houses (pre 1900), old churches and their cemeterys, and cellar holes. OLD parks are also good places, but are usually hunted out. Normally, coins from around the 1950's are like 3-4 inches deep. Coins from around the 1900's are about 4-5 inches, and 1850 and older are like 5-7 inches deep. ? ? If you get a deep, faint signal and can't decide if you should dig it, DIG IT!!!!!!!!! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Hope this helps, Matt.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Wow you are in a great area for relics from the War between the States.
You should get a map showing troop movements and camps from your local archives.

Red

R

rvbvetter

Shoot!! I wish i could hunt a civil war site. The only civil war around here is between my family and my inlaws.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Everyone in your family is a resource. Who has an older home or old field on their homesite? Make peace with your inlaws long enough to use their resources also. Might end up brokering a family trust! Be careful on the battlefields sites, make sure you're good to go on any before strating, sticking to private lands with troop camps, battle sites etc is the best bet. Have fun and get those goodies coming in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread