Let’s see your in situ pics!

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like seeing the themed threads and this one may have been done before. Here are two of my latest in situ pics. Feel free to post them like you find them!
2AD2CF78-9C0F-42D7-8D44-4432E49D9802.jpeg
DADD6D06-E984-40D5-A33B-5763CC1A2322.jpeg

Upvote 18

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Another from last year. I just like everyone else finds broken points. But come on why just why. I’m still looking for another one. Maybe a whole one is waiting on me.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 25

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
the fine day, an early Sunday by my house, I found two axes and a nice coshocton flint corner notch point.

this is the second axe found. I was walking on a rise back from the creek and looked over my right shoulder to the west at the fence line as the sun broke through the clouds.

when walking my grid, I religiously keep my scan in the area in front, about 3 feet to the right and 3 to the left, and every 3 steps or so, I pause and scan the sides. the pause is taken on an already slow pace. the pause and scan does two things, rest the eyes and stretch the neck.

eye focus strain is similar to what drivers or readers experience after a long period of no other focus except a single distance. a lot of strain and with strain you miss things.

it's like leg strain when sitting in a auto for 12 hours and not getting out to stretch.

a nugget of wisdom for the new hunters.

this is one of my favorite photos. if you can spot it without panning in, you got the eye.
20170116_124425.jpg

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the fine day, an early Sunday by my house, I found two axes and a nice coshocton flint corner notch point.

this is the second axe found. I was walking on a rise back from the creek and looked over my right shoulder to the west at the fence line as the sun broke through the clouds.

when walking my grid, I religiously keep my scan in the area in front, about 3 feet to the right and 3 to the left, and every 3 steps or so, I pause and scan the sides. the pause is taken on an already slow pace. the pause and scan does two things, rest the eyes and stretch the neck.

eye focus strain is similar to what drivers or readers experience after a long period of no other focus except a single distance. a lot of strain and with strain you miss things.

it's like leg strain when sitting in a auto for 12 hours and not getting out to stretch.

this is one of my favorite photos. if you can spot it without panning in, you got the eye.
View attachment 2129612
Nice picture 👍

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023

View attachment 2129612
What a view

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These points are great! I think these pictures will be a help for new point hunters to see how points are found in their natural state and what to keep an eye out for. They aren’t always just laying on the surface in plain sight.

Last edited:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Footprint Paleo (1993) – NEBRASKA

This 1993 in situ image shows a paleo point that was nearly stepped on by a passing individual. The track was made when the gravel bar was still wet but was hard and dry when this point was spotted. I am guessing it may have been a fisherman’s track as I doubt an artifact hunter would have missed it.
Footprint Paleo_1.jpg
Footprint Paleo_2.jpg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
here is a pestle in its natural surroundings, crop stubble.

it was a crisp 28 degrees that day, and I had forgotten my ski googles to keep the wind off of my eyes. the wind had whipped up some tears and I had to stand there a moment thinking "that does have the shape of a pestle"

when I popped it out of the frozen ground I could easily see the dimple.

you can see frost on the pestle.

20240207_065801.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread