Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF1634.JPG DSCF1584 (1024x768).jpg DSCF1588 (1280x960).jpg 13769348_1135699119786457_8371133324094925828_n.jpg

Me and the family spent a few days tubing the Frio River in Texas.
Had a great time being a River Pirate, collecting lost sunglasses and jewelry.
I found three James Avery silver rings, a few junk earrings, a YETI cooler, a Garmin VIVO fitness tracker.

There was one waterfall that quite a few people would crash against the rocks and turnover in their tubes, losing their stuff.
One of the rings and several of the glasses came from this spot.
I did manage to return a watertight bag with an Iphone, cash and a credit card that I found diving the falls right after a big pileup of tubes.
We had a great time!

Last edited:
Upvote 16

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector, great stuff!!...as a 100% landlubber, I am drawn to the art of water hunting...and have a week's vacation in September and I have a river hunt planned. It is a river that we have camped along several times and is FILLED with rafters, canoers, kayakers etc. all summer. The river is not very deep and is only over your head in a few spots, as the hidden rocks, logs and stumps are forever tipping over the river-goers...emptying their pockets of valuables, their heads of Ray Bans and their fingers of rings...I plan to snorkel, hunt by detector and by sight...I use a waterproof ATP and would thoroughly appreciate any suggestions, recommendations or advice you would care to offer. ..thx for sharing and thx in advance for any input...sincerely...ddf

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtdigginfool - Actually I learned a few things this trip.
In hindsight, I wish I had strapped my AT Gold to my tube and taken it down the river to the waterfall in the pics.
One of the silver rings was a sight find, jammed under a boulder in a swift current near the waterfall. The other two were found with my AT Gold at the base of a smaller waterfall closer to our cabin.
I am sure I missed a bunch of gold, due to the many pulltabs that are down the river gravel having a signal close to small gold rings.
Next time, I will bring my underwater flashlight to shine under the rocks and into the dark crevices.
Also a flexible, shapable tool to dig in and extract objects from tight places would have come in handy.

Enjoy and be safe!

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I want to jump into that water and cool off right now! And you made some cool finds as well. Looks like a fun few days.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks nice and refreshing on a hot day. Good hunt!

Stay frosty. :thumb_up:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you had the best of both worlds; a great time relaxing and sneaking in a little hunting! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id love to be there Great pics and finds Thanks for sharing

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I had moved back to San Antonio and retired about 5 years ago, but I got a phone call the other day and was offered a teaching job back in Uvalde, Texas. I start next Monday and will be tubing the Frio next weekend. Don't worry, I don't detect or water hunt anymore, but will be out walking a friend's ranch looking for arrowheads to show the students. I'll leave all your future finds for you. Sure is good to see water in the Frio again. Wasn't too many years ago you could hike from Garner to Leakey and carry your tube with you, unless you wanted to sit in an isolated pool. Can't wait to get home...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That looks like a blast!! Looks like you cleaned up also. Very nice.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtdigginfool - Actually I learned a few things this trip.
In hindsight, I wish I had strapped my AT Gold to my tube and taken it down the river to the waterfall in the pics.
One of the silver rings was a sight find, jammed under a boulder in a swift current near the waterfall. The other two were found with my AT Gold at the base of a smaller waterfall closer to our cabin.
I am sure I missed a bunch of gold, due to the many pulltabs that are down the river gravel having a signal close to small gold rings.
Next time, I will bring my underwater flashlight to shine under the rocks and into the dark crevices.
Also a flexible, shapable tool to dig in and extract objects from tight places would have come in handy.

Enjoy and be safe!
Inspector, thank you very much for the added advice, I am so pumped for this trip so the extra information certainly helps...thx again. ..ddf

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had moved back to San Antonio and retired about 5 years ago, but I got a phone call the other day and was offered a teaching job back in Uvalde, Texas. I start next Monday and will be tubing the Frio next weekend. Don't worry, I don't detect or water hunt anymore, but will be out walking a friend's ranch looking for arrowheads to show the students. I'll leave all your future finds for you. Sure is good to see water in the Frio again. Wasn't too many years ago you could hike from Garner to Leakey and carry your tube with you, unless you wanted to sit in an isolated pool. Can't wait to get home...

We have been tubing the Frio for more than 25 years, only missing a couple of years when the stream flow was below 20 cubic feet per second.
I tell everyone that the Frio Canyon is the most beautiful area in Texas.

Enjoy your arrowhead hunt, but stay hydrated.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector, thank you very much for the added advice, I am so pumped for this trip so the extra information certainly helps...thx again. ..ddf

I forgot to mention my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot was super helpful.
The vibration mode made it a lot easier to locate things in the moving water.
Enjoy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread