Lightning Strike! 1856 S Seated quarter - Again

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I went back to a field I did last month after getting permission from the new owner. Last month I found an 1856S seated quarter along with a bunch of square nails, broken horseshoes etc. The new owner just had the field plowed so I was psyched! I spent 4 hours on the field yesterday and got more old square nails and bits/pieces of brass. Decided to go back today with a bigger coil. I didn't need the bigger coil (for depth anyway) because when I finally got a very good target it was half sticking out of the ground. Another seated liberty quarter ... dated 1856 again. I grabbed my camera and took a quick picture. I think the plow was good to me! When I got it home and gently cleaned it I saw this one had the S mint mark too and was actually in better condition then the one I found last month. It's hard enough to find a seated coin these days but to find two with the same date and mint mark... on different parts of the field is something else. Yippity yahoo!!!

Took a picture of both of the quarters with the newest one on the right side.

I also found a button that says "Doherty's Patent" on the reverse side and Martindal? & Paul with some other lettering on the front. Feels old but I couldn't find any references other than a date associated with a Doherty patent relating to buttons dated 4-7-1858.

Attachments

• old stage 1856S quarter in ground.jpg
    old stage 1856S quarter in ground.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262
  • seated qtrs 1856S fnt.jpg
    seated qtrs 1856S fnt.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 219
  • seated qtrs 1856S rev.jpg
    seated qtrs 1856S rev.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 201
  • old stage button front alt.jpg
    old stage button front alt.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 200
  • old stage button rev.jpg
    old stage button rev.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 21

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really epic. Nice eyeball find.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sooooo did you research the field ? or do you just detect any field?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think think in situ photo is one f the best I've ever seen. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. A great find and congratulations

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Sooooo did you research the field ? or do you just detect any field?

No research at all on the field. Just got very lucky! It may sound crazy but I'm willing to check out any piece of dirt at least once just to see if anything was there.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. too bad it was not a '55... :unhappysmiley:. I dug a near perfect 1856-S half dollar several years ago. Anything '55 San Francisco mint is crazy money. but I know the feeling of just being happy to find it. I am assuming you are 'out west' somewhere and I almost never see quarters dug from there. 99% of the pre-1865 the silver (US made) found out west that I have seen over the years are half dollars, dimes, and half dimes. Nice to finally see a couple quarters... congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread