Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

After digging the 1837 Servant tag last month, I have been researching and reading every available resource I can get my hands on. This insight lets me share the history of slave hire badges in the low country while it accompanies me on group hunts...or dinner out with other history buffs. It is amazing to see other's reactions when holding a piece of American history rarely seen outside a museum. That being said, I never though I be posting "Charleston Slave Tag" ever again here on Tnet...until today. A bit of back story-I have a tried and true colonial trash pit that has turned up a variety of flat buttons and colonial relics. While the site has been pounded over the years, recent erosion had revealed a fresh layer of oyster shells and brick.

First out of the pit was 4 buttons, two of which still had the much of gold/silver wash intact.

P3080214.JPGP3080213.JPG

Also managed a pair of buckles, the two piece with "PARIS" stamped on the base.

P3080212.JPG

After a few hours of swinging along the salt flat, I got a strong deep signal. At the bottom of a 14 inch plug was this pewter spoon bowl with jagged design molded in.

P3080218.JPGP3080219.JPG

Also managed another pewter handle and a more recent (19th Century) copper spoon.

P3080220.JPGP3080221.JPG

Surface finds included a chain, musket/pistol flint and interesting glass cameo of a man. Any ideas on date?

P3080224.JPGP3080215.JPGP3080217.JPGP3080216.JPG

Now for the title dig- my second Charleston Slave tag in 2 weeks. While this one is only a partial, it is almost certainly 1800-1810 given the shape and size. To all those wondering, I did excavate the pit for about 6 hours trying to recover the other half...although unsuccessfully.

20160301_201726.jpg20160301_221222.jpgP3080223.JPG

The condition of this one is typical of those recovered in privys or trash pits. The slave owner was required by law to renew his slave's permit every year and appropriated another badge with another permit number. As such, expired tags were destroyed and discarded by wearer. Even as a partial, it is still a remarkable piece of history.

P3080210.JPG

Hard to beat that lowcountry dirt and as always, thanks for looking!

Upvote 43
Incredible pieces of history you are saving! Congrats on such great finds

Are you still going to be able to make it over across the pond?

Also, congrats on the kickass finds. I'd be happy with just a sliver of a slave tag [emoji12]

Sadly I got put on orders so my England trip will have to wait until next year, good luck out there

Dang buddy!!! Next time you mention going somewhere I'm calling out of work to go with you!!! Great finds!!! :) Is it wrong to be jealous??

Your killing it out there Josh, keep swinging...certainly a few more in that dirt waiting to be recovered

Just saw this last night-you are on a roll buddy! Congratulations again! :occasion14:

Very nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back