Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

After digging the 1837 Servant tag last month, I have been researching and reading every available resource I can get my hands on. This insight lets me share the history of slave hire badges in the low country while it accompanies me on group hunts...or dinner out with other history buffs. It is amazing to see other's reactions when holding a piece of American history rarely seen outside a museum. That being said, I never though I be posting "Charleston Slave Tag" ever again here on Tnet...until today. A bit of back story-I have a tried and true colonial trash pit that has turned up a variety of flat buttons and colonial relics. While the site has been pounded over the years, recent erosion had revealed a fresh layer of oyster shells and brick.

First out of the pit was 4 buttons, two of which still had the much of gold/silver wash intact.

P3080214.JPG P3080213.JPG

Also managed a pair of buckles, the two piece with "PARIS" stamped on the base.

P3080212.JPG

After a few hours of swinging along the salt flat, I got a strong deep signal. At the bottom of a 14 inch plug was this pewter spoon bowl with jagged design molded in.

P3080218.JPG P3080219.JPG

Also managed another pewter handle and a more recent (19th Century) copper spoon.

P3080220.JPG P3080221.JPG

Surface finds included a chain, musket/pistol flint and interesting glass cameo of a man. Any ideas on date?

P3080224.JPG P3080215.JPG P3080217.JPG P3080216.JPG

Now for the title dig- my second Charleston Slave tag in 2 weeks. While this one is only a partial, it is almost certainly 1800-1810 given the shape and size. To all those wondering, I did excavate the pit for about 6 hours trying to recover the other half...although unsuccessfully.

20160301_201726.jpg 20160301_221222.jpg P3080223.JPG

The condition of this one is typical of those recovered in privys or trash pits. The slave owner was required by law to renew his slave's permit every year and appropriated another badge with another permit number. As such, expired tags were destroyed and discarded by wearer. Even as a partial, it is still a remarkable piece of history.

P3080210.JPG

Hard to beat that lowcountry dirt and as always, thanks for looking!

Upvote 43

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Great job Jon. That looks like an early one and even though it's not complete it's still an incredible find. Super huge congrats!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY SHIZ NICS!!!!! You are in the zone for sure. BIG CONGRATZ on the MAJOR HISTORY!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Great job Jon. That looks like an early one and even though it's not complete it's still an incredible find. Super huge congrats!

Thanks Darby, I can just make out the top of a 6 below the O in Charleston. Suspect the other half of this one, like so many others, just didn't survive.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might get banned for saying this, but....DAMN!! That's amazing!! Congrats.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, I think the cameo is in fact a woman, with a robe over her head.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Wow truly amazing finds....that tag in any condition is a true piece of history..Congrats...Banner find...hehehe

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing history you are getting there and so nice that the finder is one who truly appreciates what he has found.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing. Congrats on your second slave tag! Incredible pieces of history.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Even a chunk of a slave tag gotta count for something!
It's pretty close to the lightening strike you mentioned.
I like the stone from the wax seal you found! It's not a cameo. Great job!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing history you are getting there and so nice that the finder is one who truly appreciates what he has found.

Saving these relics is what its all about- nothing against coin shooters but these kinds of targets are what I live for.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Jon. When you first told me about it I was hoping you could find the other piece(s). But it's still remarkable find. You are so correct about the reactions you get when people actually hold a Tag. And the education they get from me also as few are aware that Slave Tag existed much less any history that goes with them. BTW I thought they didn't have internet in Oklahoma :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be thankful you dug the complete one first... just imagine how big a heart breaker the piece would have been.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find Jon. When you first told me about it I was hoping you could find the other piece(s). But it's still remarkable find. You are so correct about the reactions you get when people actually hold a Tag. And the education they get from me also as few are aware that Slave Tag existed much less any history that goes with them. BTW I thought they didn't have internet in Oklahoma :laughing7:

Had to get my last digs posted before hitting the road and 22 hour drive...I'll be lucky to dig a wheat penny where I'm training for the next month haha.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to get my last digs posted before hitting the road and 22 hour drive...I'll be lucky to dig a wheat penny where I'm training for the next month haha.

Well be safe and know I'll be taking Stef to the WP 2 in your place and hopefully he will have a room full before you get back. You're welcome for anything I could give you to think about during that drive lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread