Like "Dead people Sandwiches?"

Q

Q.C.man

Like "Dead people Sandwiches?"

Since I'm a newbie and from northern Wi. ( we have been accused of not seeing things like the rest of the world)(or maybe its only me that I heard that about) perhaps this has been discussed. We always think as to the gathering of people and what they may have left behind when we go metal detecting, right? What about a place where the date is posted for you to see and basically tells you that everything you find in the ground here is going to be about that old. Thats right, a cemetery! I'm not looking to dig up bodies, just the stuff attendies dropped during graveside. Is it sacrilegious of me to even think about doing this. Am going to be arrested for grave digging? Has anyone tried it?There are plenty of old somewhat abandoned cemeteries around, dates are posted.
My bosses wife is very active at her Catholic Church and helps with all the funeral banquets. She likes to bring the extra sandwiches to work, we call them dead people sandwiches. I SAY THAT, TO SAY THIS , I would look at metal detecting a cemetery like "dead people sandwiches" they don't need it anymore! T.I.C

daydreamer

Dec 22, 2005
CHICO- Northern California
Detector(s) used
anything handy
Re: Like "Dead people Sandwiches?"

I think it might be in bad taste. I am not sure that you would not get caught by some very irate person, and have a whole lot of trouble on your hands, not to mention that it would be very, very bad for you should you be found, and later try to get permission to hunt for something you really want, and have that stigma on you. I would definitely hesitate on following up on that idea.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Hey QC..I am from Wisconsin also and even if I do have a quirky way of thinking as opposed to ?most people...hunting cemeteries is not one of them. I love cemeteries, like finding old abandoned ones ?and I guess we all carry our own set of ethics, but digging in cemeteries is not something you want to do. Nor be known for doing.
Mourners of these people may have left silver crosses,jewelry, coins,tokens,charms ?and other gifts of memory on these graves ?,but they are not yours for the taking. Any metal detector sweeping over a grave will find these, but you are talking way bad mojo to mess with anything in a cemetery. Would you want to come to a site and see someone digging a hole over Granny's final resting place? I think not. I don't say this because I think its spooky or morbid , but out of respect for the dead.
Anything you find on a cemetery roadway or entrance is up for grabs...but to take something from a gravesite is not.
Last summer I walked 4 miles into thewoods to find a abandoned cemetery,totally grown over, the stones from 1850...there were still coins sitting on the base of the graves as well as metal small crosses...look ?and leave is the policy.
What are you going to tell people " hey look at this great coin I found on a grave?"
I am not saying you are grave robbing so don't get me wrong...I am telling you my belief on the subject.
I have heard stories of where people buried gold in coffins ?in lower Michigan ,even know the sites....but that doesn't mean I have the right to go dig it up....Now if it was my own ancestor ...thats a different story...."Excuse me auntie...you wont be needing this "
I hunt old Indian camps ?and know of several Indian burial spots, but those are off limits as well. ? ?

K

Kentucky Kache

I have to agree with the above posters, but, because of the very reasons given, I can't think of a better place to hide a cache. I'm not saying we should dig for them, but I would guess that there are plenty of goodies buried in cemeteries. Sorry about adding temptation. ;D

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005

Better yet, go graveside detecting during the funeral...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

I wouldnt hunt in the grave areas, but on the paths and dirt access roads might be ok. People might think bad of detectorists if they see one too close to the graves. I have detected outside a cemetary but I don't think I would in one. Alot of cemetaries have dirt paths or roads that criss cross through them, those might be ok.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

I'm sure many people here have breifly thought of what could be found at or around an old cemetary. However, it isn't in proper to detect in them and gypsyheart is right on point.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsyheart is right. One story I wrote for a treasure mag. was on detecting cemetaries . It was turned down and with good reason. It had a topic about the old lady that visited her "resting" husband and keeping a jar of coins by his head stone so he could watch over it. I was hired twice to find lost rings at cemetaries and the client was right there to direct me where to look otherwise I wouldn't be there.

Dead People Sandwiches indeed..... ::)

Sandman

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do not hunt grave yards. It is illegal in all states. I respect the right of the dead to rest in peace. Would you hunt the grave of a relative, maybe a mother or father. I think not, and remember the dead are someones relative.

Ed

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I popped a similar question two years ago on another forum and caught hot lead from several directions.

While I don't detect/dig inside the hallowed santuary of a cemetary, I do take the time to edge the small ones that are found scattered in this area. Folks had to tie their wagons nearby when visiting, and wherever you concentrate folks from the pre-clad coin days it's a good spot to hunt. So far I have yet to break the 1900 barrier, but I have only been at this for two years.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Often as in any highly visible activity, it's not what you are doing as much as it is what you are perceived to be doing.? The first thing many people would see or think (after weedeater!) is grave robber.? Many would resent your presence on or near their departed loved one's grave and? expect the worse.? Even if you were not taking anything from an actual grave site, you would probably be suspected of it at the very least.? I wouldn't do it for that very reason.? There are many other more socially acceptable places to hunt without giving the hobby a bad name or at least would avoid the perception of being unfeeling or insensitive to other's feelings, or disrespetful of the dead.? Monty

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.

I really don't think it would be a good idea to even detect close to a grave yard for this reason. If anyone sees you, they might take it for granted that you already detected the grave yard. Something to think about anyway. I'd stay away, but that's only just my opinion. :-\

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

gypsyheart said:
Hey QC..I am from Wisconsin also and even if I do have a quirky way of thinking as opposed to ?most people...hunting cemeteries is not one of them. I love cemeteries, like finding old abandoned ones ?and I guess we all carry our own set of ethics, but digging in cemeteries is not something you want to do. Nor be known for doing.
Mourners of these people may have left silver crosses,jewelry, coins,tokens,charms ?and other gifts of memory on these graves ?,but they are not yours for the taking. Any metal detector sweeping over a grave will find these, but you are talking way bad mojo to mess with anything in a cemetery. Would you want to come to a site and see someone digging a hole over Granny's final resting place? I think not. I don't say this because I think its spooky or morbid , but out of respect for the dead.
Anything you find on a cemetery roadway or entrance is up for grabs...but to take something from a gravesite is not.
Last summer I walked 4 miles into thewoods to find a abandoned cemetery,totally grown over, the stones from 1850...there were still coins sitting on the base of the graves as well as metal small crosses...look ?and leave is the policy.
What are you going to tell people " hey look at this great coin I found on a grave?"
I am not saying you are grave robbing so don't get me wrong...I am telling you my belief on the subject.
I have heard stories of where people buried gold in coffins ?in lower Michigan ,even know the sites....but that doesn't mean I have the right to go dig it up....Now if it was my own ancestor ...thats a different story...."Excuse me auntie...you wont be needing this "
I hunt old Indian camps ?and know of several Indian burial spots, but those are off limits as well. ? ?
you told it just right i know of my friends dad dieing years back and his grandsons left money below the dirt were his stone would have been. i could not do that, mding graveyards besides its prop a law for not doing it

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005

gypsyheart said:
I just noticed this. What is the deal with the last part?

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005

Definitely in the realm of bad taste and tackiness. Totally inappropriate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread