ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them a lot... I think you can sell them rather well...
If I was you I would approach Cracker Barrel...

If I had a youngin I would have you make em a treasure one. :)

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like them a lot... I think you can sell them rather well...
If I was you I would approach Cracker Barrel...
If I had a youngin I would have you make em a treasure one. :)

Thanks Arrc... That is in consideration already and been thought of. Got to shut it down for awhile to build new building on my lot. I'm selling the other property which includes my shop.

Miss Msbeepbeep... THANK YOU! I'm more of a basic woodworker / artist with a basic idea and I really enjoy doing this. What I'd really like to do is find a way for a T-Net member to order a box in the name of a fallen solider or family to donate. I'm NOT looking to make money on those boxes but just break even on cost, labor and shipping. There has to be a way to do this I believe and a demand also. But before this could happen I have to get this new manufacturing building up and the machinery moved. It will be done by spring time.

I bet so many T-Net members could come up with SO MANY IDEAS based on the boxes format/basic design. Thanks, Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a box that a return customer ordered. He ordered it for his other Nephew who is a Batman fan. He wanted "The Joker" from Batman put on front "somehow" and left it up to me to figure out. So I looked up some Joker profiles and chose this one. I stained the boards and then hand painted his face upon them. Then mounted his nephews name under the Joker.... "MASON". I painted the Batman emblem on both ends also under the rope handles.

I'm thinking of doing some sport themed boxes when I start up my new shop. Maybe, like football, basketball ones. Maybe some beer themed ones also.... DON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

Attachments

• S6300727.JPG
    S6300727.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 80
  • S6300728.JPG
    S6300728.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
  • S6300729.JPG
    S6300729.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 71
  • S6300730.JPG
    S6300730.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 68

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a box that a return customer ordered. He ordered it for his other Nephew who is a Batman fan. He wanted "The Joker" from Batman put on front "somehow" and left it up to me to figure out. So I looked up some Joker profiles and chose this one. I stained the boards and then hand painted his face upon them. Then mounted his nephews name under the Joker.... "MASON". I painted the Batman emblem on both ends also under the rope handles.

I'm thinking of doing some sport themed boxes when I start up my new shop. Maybe, like football, basketball ones. Maybe some beer themed ones also.... DON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

Brad,

How much time you put in that one?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

How much time you put in that one?

I never added up the exact time Chris but you made me think guy. I never rush them and take me time. Listening to music, thinking, little cleaning, beer or two, phone calls, playing with the dogs and other things.

That was a bad question Chris.... but I'll honestly answer it (meaning the above question). You have to remember the box design is "easy" for me to build now. Templates, gages, stops and after making over 80 of them I got that part down REAL GOOD. I could if I wanted too cut, machine and assemble 1 naked box in about 3.5 - 4 hours taking my time including the lid from the raw wood. Then comes the bottlenecks.... cutting / assembling / and routering the feet, then box staining, then laying out letters / cutting / sanding / staining / then mounting them. Then mounting the lid and feet. Then rope handles and a single coat of poly...

I probably put about 3 hrs. into the hand painted emblems total maybe 4. I put more time into "thinking" than I do... doing.

To answer your original question: Maybe 12-14 hours total maybe more if I really kept the exact time. I sold that box for $140.00. Don't do the math.... I'd probably go hungry. I think I can get much more but it gives me something to do and a little extra money. It cost me about $35.00 to make which really doesn't matter. I guess if someone could take 5 2x4x8' studs, a little paint and turn them into a toy box like these they would.

And these boxes are glued and put together with 3" and 2" screws and all panels are pin stapled into place with 1" staples also.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I never added up the exact time Chris but you made me think guy. I never rush them and take me time. Listening to music, thinking, little cleaning, beer or two, phone calls, playing with the dogs and other things.

That was a bad question Chris.... but I'll honestly answer it (meaning the above question). You have to remember the box design is "easy" for me to build now. Templates, gages, stops and after making over 80 of them I got that part down REAL GOOD. I could if I wanted too cut, machine and assemble 1 naked box in about 3.5 - 4 hours taking my time including the lid from the raw wood. Then comes the bottlenecks.... cutting / assembling / and routering the feet, then box staining, then laying out letters / cutting / sanding / staining / then mounting them. Then mounting the lid and feet. Then rope handles and a single coat of poly...

I probably put about 3 hrs. into the hand painted emblems total maybe 4. I put more time into "thinking" than I do... doing.

To answer your original question: Maybe 12-14 hours total maybe more if I really kept the exact time. I sold that box for $140.00. Don't do the math.... I'd probably go hungry. I think I can get much more but it gives me something to do and a little extra money. It cost me about $35.00 to make which really doesn't matter. I guess if someone could take 5 2x4x8' studs and turn it into a toy box like these they would.

Something that you enjoy doing,always looking for a better way....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

Great workmanship and nice hobby you've got there......You may want to contact the Shriners and maybe you can work out a deal with them.

They sponsor many children's hospitals so it would be right up their alley and they have a national network and could probably handle the distribution/shipping so less headaches for you.

Something to think about.

Regards + HH

Bill

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your work is beautiful Brad! 😊

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your work is beautiful Brad!

Thanks Squiggy, Bill and Chris.... Now Chris you know you can do better than I can. I bet you could take this design and greatly redesign the front and ends with a totally different décor and it wouldn't begin to look the same as mine.

The only limitations are our inmaginations on how to décor a box of this design.... ANY IDEA'S folks....????

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, those are nice! You've found something that keeps you busy, thinking, and that you like to do. It's not everybody that gets to do something they like and still make a little 'walking around' money! Great, congrats on a job that being well done!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, those are nice! You've found something that keeps you busy, thinking, and that you like to do. It's not everybody that gets to do something they like and still make a little 'walking around' money! Great, congrats on a job that being well done!

Thank you all... I'd like to learn how to help others with these somehow by donating them to raise money for a worthy cause. But I really don't have a clue how...? I also can't "eat" all the cost for each one donated either... So, I'd like to learn how too not loose money (my overhead) but help others with the money raised from my boxes. Thanks Tex777.... Brad

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Raise the price a few bucks and tell prospective buyers a portion of each sale goes to what ever charity, or charities you are contributing to at the time.
Credibility would of course come from those charities being aware of what you are doing and be able to vouch for your involvement.
Not meant to be more than a suggestion.
As well as having your touchmark/hallmark on each item you sell, possibly with date and model number or sequence # of item.
Or your business contact ink stamped inside the lid or on a varnished label there.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As well as having your touchmark/hallmark on each item you sell, possibly with date and model number or sequence # of item.
Or your business contact ink stamped inside the lid or on a varnished label there.

I've been signing the bottom with my name, contact info and date. I'm going to order a branding iron soon with my info and put it more visible on the boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread