Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy... as long as you sand all the wood in the woodshop 1st. I'll take ya caving. If you'd like to sand some wood in the cave knock yourself out!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying so hard to fill everybody's Christmas orders but there is no way possible. I'm now trying to fill the last 6 orders to be picked up on the 22-23rd with 2 on the morning of the 24th (which they "promised" to come get if I got it done...? I've turned down 8-9 because of the Christmas deadline and I have other orders pending which say whenever you get them done just let me know. I still can't believe all these orders from a single Craigslist's ad. I guess you just never know something you take for granted as "simple" and easy to make to what might sell if you take an interest...? I'm learning.... I WISH ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS also... later, Brad

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make them like treasure chest!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't read all the posts here but those look very nice and the cost seems very reasonable. Regardless of where else you sell them I think you should sell them on ebay.

One of my customers was a "E-Bay expert" and he talked to me at great length about helping me get started on e-bay with this product. But going to ebay is a LOT different then 1 craigslist ad. I made over 40 boxes in 9 weeks and fell a couple short for Christmas orders. There done now and getting picked up today.

I built all of these in a small workshop and had boxes taking up 50% of this shop (28 x 40). I'm working on putting up a much larger building now (80 x 30) and setting it up to produce this product. I've already bought 3 new table saws, 2 more palm sanders, 2 more routers and am now looking at getting a 3-5 hp. Jet table saw. I'll also need a couple more small planners, another drill press and some more backup tools. I need to learn to ship, order boxes and all packing material. While I made a few thousand quickly I couldn't imagine a website, ebay and going nationwide what would happen. I could barely handle what came from 1 ad. I'm only good at one thing and that's manufacturing and producing this product. NOT... advertising, shipping, website developing. I spend a lot of time just taking orders from folks.

Thanks for the encouragement folks... Brad

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it! Sounds like you don't really need much more advertising, at least not yet. As you expand, maybe you can find someone local that's good at helping you not only build, but also advertise, pack, and ship. If this business continues to grow, you may have to hire more than one or two employees. You maybe become a 'large' small business! lol I'm really tickled that you're doing so well.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he does have to hire someone he could make sure that person is a sub-contractor. If the person hired would be in business for themselves it would be a lot better for the OP and the sub.

Kemper... Good point and you just gave me an idea. I can knock out the basic product fairly quickly by using cutting jigs and assembly jigs right now. And setting all the table saws up to perform a single function really increased production time while holding quality. BUT.... when I have to stain each box (wait a day) and then a coat of poly (wait a day) it bottlenecks quickly. I'd really like to sell these boxes to someone totally done but unfinished (naked) at a fair price (like attached pic). Then THEY finish the boxes with the ordered color / shade. Or better yet... I'll just supply the box as pictured and someone else can finish and sell the product. Just producing the box and skipping all the other stuff would be a blessing to me. Maybe supply in batches of 10 minimum.

Attachments

• S6300542.JPG
    S6300542.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 57
  • S6300544.JPG
    S6300544.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 62
  • S6300601.JPG
    S6300601.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 59

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kemper... Good point and you just gave me an idea. I can knock out the basic product fairly quickly by using cutting jigs and assembly jigs right now. And setting all the table saws up to perform a single function really increased production time while holding quality. BUT.... when I have to stain each box (wait a day) and then a coat of poly (wait a day) it bottlenecks quickly. I'd really like to sell these boxes to someone totally done but unfinished (naked) at a fair price (like attached pic). Then THEY finish the boxes with the ordered color / shade. Or better yet... I'll just supply the box as pictured and someone else can finish and sell the product. Just producing the box and skipping all the other stuff would be a blessing to me. Maybe supply in batches of 10 minimum.

Boy do I MISS my shop.....sigh.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make a drying room ? Its a thought.

Mike

PS I'd buy the house but Red says can't afford it yet.

I thought about that Mike.... even learning to properly spray the stain and poly to quicken the process. And if I did that I'd definitely have a separate enclosed area in which to do this.

PS: We'll work out a deal on house. Lil' Red can groom dogs in my now woodshop or convert 1 of the 3 bedrooms into a grooming area and you and me will build, advertise, market and sell toy boxes. It would be fun!!!! And we'd make a lot of money if everything was done properly and all bottlenecks continually attacked with new ideas or processes.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my business I do a lot of staining of woodwork. I would suggest that the finish on these boxes could be something such as ZAR brand stain. It is widely available and cost effective. It is a stain with a sealer in it but performs just like a stain. A lot of stains that are one step (stain and sealer) do not work good as they leave brush marks and build-up. The ZAR stain is a wiping stain and can be used as is or it can have a coat of poly put on top of it. The reason for using something widely available makes it easy to touch up for anyone down the line. I have no affiliation with this company but am suggesting it because if you have someone finish these or the consumer needs to touch these up,it will look good on you if they can do so easily. If you have someone else finish and/or sell these you might want to require they use this or a similar product.
As I said earlier I would suggest that whatever route you take make sure that anyone that works for you is a sub-contractor that will be responsible for reporting their income as you will be giving them a 1099 at the end of the year. You can concentrate on furnishing a product and not on all the paperwork and hassles of hiring an employee.

I would also suggest that you may be able to stain and/or finish the wood before assembly as it would be an easy touch-up if needed afterwards.

Thanks Kemper... I'll look into your suggestion. Today I'm using a Minwax stain product and wiping / brushing it on. And I'm using Minwax quick drying poly. The reason I'm putting the coat of poly on is that it highlights the wood grain and knots and the product looks much better. I buy the colors I'm now using by the gallon. It really doesn't cost much at all to stain or poly each box but it sure bottlenecks the process. I use "throw-away" brushes to apply the stain and poly to each box. The stain brushes can be used 4-5 times each. The poly ones are tossed. Altogether I spend 1.5+ hrs. on each box staining and polying.

I tried a "stain-poly" product and didn't like the way it came out. Keeping the two steps separate gave a better look.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy do I MISS my shop.....sigh.

Mr. worldtalker.... You NEED a shop. The work your capable of dwarfs mine. I'm just kind of a crude woodworker. But I do have fun!!!! I'm thinking of making some more trussel tables and benches now also. But I got to get this new shop up NOW... 1st.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. worldtalker.... You NEED a shop. The work your capable of dwarfs mine. I'm just kind of a crude woodworker. But I do have fun!!!! I'm thinking of making some more trussel tables and benches now also. But I got to get this new shop up NOW... 1st.

What good is a shop....sold 85% of my tools...CRAP!!!!!! I still have 3 intarsia pieces I'll put together this COLD winter!

Gotta do something...after all,I heard this when I got up....CRAP again!:laughing7:

Attachments

• fatlady.jpg
    fatlady.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Growing pains. Sigh.
Hand finished adds charm for some. A clean room,spray booth, flash off area or tunnel; then drying going to add costs as well as spray equipment. Handling fixtures to support and move boxes too. Hazardous storage or as Kemper mentions flammable storage needed too. He's right to mention spontaneous combustion.
Bottle neck of finishing/staining/ poly topcoating. Maybe by running a pull system, (drawing product towards end of operation as required to reach targeted production rates with little overage of raw product) in manageable daily output number of boxes averaged over a week would allow required time to be only coating one or two days a week and no other activity. At two hours a box finishing four in a nine or ten hour day seems doable. That's allowing some break time.(double number of boxes if staining one day and poly the next,no slackin mister.)
Automated ordering (if accepting them) could cut back phone time but calls do eat up a lot of time with custom products. A secretary knowledgeable as yourself regarding your ability and product may be required. Worse case restrict calls to a day a week. Or what percentage of your day you are willing to commit to phone time and handle calls in evening after production ceases for the day.
Any Amish around your area? They might be interested in finishing some product. Distribution would factor though.

Off topic note:
Wood pike spearing decoys about to start selling this time of year again. A couple months while good ice forms they will be in demand then slack off.
Some makers fell behind last year. To little inventory or too many custom orders I don't know. Small size work,nine to twelve inch is common to occasional couple feet makes for small work areas required and leisurely off season to build stock, test swimming designs ect..

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Brad, how'd I miss this thread? :icon_scratch: Oh yeah, making seashells....... :BangHead: :laughing7:

Your boxes are the bomb! and I have never used that expression, lol.

I'm glad everyone had great ideas and info for you! I see many on Etsy that has large bulky furniture items, ship stuff through Greyhound and/or Trailways, only deal, the buyer has to pick-up at the station (which should be no biggy).

I'm also glad your having great success! :hello2: I love the front, the way it's cut out, so the fingers don't get smashed. (I had a cheap, plastic covered, cardboard type box, growing up. At least that lid wasn't heavy, lol.)

Also having seen some of your other work, an idea came, that you could make beautiful minilmaistic, minimulisstic, ARGH! minimalistic, (ok there I knew I'd hit the right spelling sooner or later, lol).
minimalistic jewelry boxes, With maybe a velvet lining and set-in tray. Clean lines, but I realize too, that's a change in direction, as well. It would be a smaller, more easily shipped item and have you priced a ladies jewelry box (nice ones) lately?.

Stay in touch! Is RJC down there with you now? (he kinda mia, lately. we is all kinda concerned) :icon_scratch:
Yeah, NOW, if we could just all clone ourselves.......... :laughing7: I know for me, something might actually get done, around here! :laughing7:
You go buddy, go! :headbang: :hello:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll talk to her again. Maybe this weekend we can setup Skype or something and talk. I'm trying to get her to take a week off and head down there. She can visit family and we can come check out your ridgetop. Plus I wanna see that cave heh.
Curious about the population numbers around you. Could try and get my midget to move with us, he wants to live down there also, but needs enough space for a decent sized pole barn. He is a mechanic and wants to have the space for a business.
I'll pm later.

Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kemper.... Boy do I know about the stain rags... best thing to start a fire outside to burn all the SAWDUST, SHAVING AND LEFT OVER SCRAP WOOD. I'll try your stain and see how it works for me. I'm really trying to stop the orders and build my new building then start over again. Staining everything first has been thought of. But I believe with all the parts it's not feasible to do versus the final product. But you do have some valid suggestions and I appreciate them.... THANKS.

releventchair... Your points are also well taken. I am very experienced in production and bottlenecks with 30+ years of manufacturing experience. I truly know what I'm good at and what I need to learn. Many of my customers were very happy that the final finish was hand applied. In fact when they found out the entire box was hand built with pride this was the strongest selling point and I won't abandon this mode. I believe the individual attention to each box and the customizing option's were the biggest advantage.

Miss cat... Thanks for the kind words... I need to talk to you about Esty sometime down the line and pick your brain. I have a LOT to learn to get this product off this TN. ridge top. Thanks... Brad

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I use all minwax products myself. Have you tried their waterbased poly? I was a bit hesitant to try it, ( old school here) but really like it. I used it on my last kitchen and last few pieces of furniture. I've been brushing it, haven't tried spraying it. I just wrap the brush in a plastic grocery bag and stick it in the fridge overnight. If it may be longer, I clean it in water. That way I can use a 'good' brush, which I think does a better job. Although I use my share of cheapies.
You could make your own stain too, like I did when I built my flintlock. Made it from walnut husks.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use all minwax products myself. Have you tried their waterbased poly? I was a bit hesitant to try it, ( old school here) but really like it. I used it on my last kitchen and last few pieces of furniture. I've been brushing it, haven't tried spraying it. I just wrap the brush in a plastic grocery bag and stick it in the fridge overnight. If it may be longer, I clean it in water. That way I can use a 'good' brush, which I think does a better job. Although I use my share of cheapies.
You could make your own stain too, like I did when I built my flintlock. Made it from walnut husks.

Nope... I've never tried the waterbased poly yet. And I totally agree a quality brush does do a much better final job. But it costs a lot to clean a quality brush for reuse over and over. So maybe the waterbase would be the way to go...? I'm now spending about $1.20 P/Box to poly unless I have 2-4 to do at a time. But I about go insane after 1. I really dislike the staining and polying part but I realize the final visual image is most important. 75% of all sales were final completed boxes with custom names attached. I was only charging $20 extra for the stain / poly per box which was a mistake!!!!! Then I made a larger one and posted it and.... BAM, I now was in the "larger toy box business". I know Christmas really had a lot to do with all the orders but this basic design can be used not just for toy boxes but hope chests and special holidays also. The only limit is your imagination. Look what these customers wanted for loved ones.... Names under lid, name arched, name with tilted letters and more...

Attachments

• S6300576.JPG
    S6300576.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 77
  • S6300659.JPG
    S6300659.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 75
  • S6300650.JPG
    S6300650.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 70
  • S6300670.JPG
    S6300670.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Kemper... I'll try a couple of boxes with ZAR and see how it works. If the ZAR seals the wood and stains then your right the coat of poly would set up on top more (much better). I only do one coat now because I'm trying to make a very affordable product and not gallery furniture. I also put minimal time into sanding (except all joints). Using / keeping sharp bits, blades and knives really cuts down the need for extreme sanding. I could advertise and build a finer finished box but then I'm breaking away from the original concept. Trying to better the plastic ones and out quality the composite ones.

All customers loved the hand built concept and attention. Again... I just never expected the interest or thought about a toy box business until now. And I am really native on promoting this product.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks.... One of my customers ordered a couple of boxes for their young children. I built their boxes and when they arrived for pickup we started to talk. I found out that Kevin was a veteran from Iraq. He served 8 years. His wife came along and their 2 small children were running around my shop playing in the sawdust and shavings. As Kevin and I talked he mentioned a group called the "Snowball Express" along with "Wounded Warriors". I said I'd build a couple of custom boxes and give them to him for the groups.

Now... as with most projects when your almost done you start to have some better ideas. This project was no exception. If I had to do over again I would change MANY things. But here was my first attempt at a "Veteran's Toy Box". The figures were hand painted on the front. I would love to hear from some veteran charities in which I could build some boxes in the future for auction or whatever along with your ideas for a custom box/front. I can't afford to build them by the 10's but with some help "we" could build a LOT OF THEM for charity. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks... Brad

Attachments

• S6300708.JPG
    S6300708.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 75
  • S6300709.JPG
    S6300709.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 61
  • S6300710.JPG
    S6300710.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 62

Top Member Reactions