Lionel, marx at salvation army!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by the Salvation Army yesterday. Was surprised to see Marx train pieces in the back corner in the boxes. There was a flat bed train, a coal car and light switch. Also a plasticville train station never used new in the box. Started to walk away and looked between the book cases and there was a 2 1/2 ft box. Pulled it out, it said Lionel in the side. I got really excited and then saw tresel in the end... New never used! There not worth a ton, but I should make 3x - 5x what I paid for them. Over all I was shocked to even find that stuff there. Especially with the boxes. I think someone hid them to go get $ to buy them. There cc machine was down earlier they said. My dad use to work at Marx toys when he was in his 20s. I will try to post pictures but it hasn't worked lately.

image-2803669294.jpg

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much into trains but a nice find.

Love the Sibes! Priceless

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes nice find ..many many years ago when i was just a kid out of school i worked at Marx toys in Erie Pa. … A lot of those marx toys are a collectable now….

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Lionel trestle set is a dime a dozen on ebay, and at every train show in the nation. Late 50's box, IIRC.

The Marx tinplate hopper car might be worth looking up, but Marx values have taken a serious nosedive in the past year.

The Mark HO in original box...Marx original boxes can be super hard to find. A die hard Marx guy might drool over that box, and make sure you put "Original box" and maybe "OB" in the listing title.

The Plasticville is cool, especially in the OB, but assemble it to make sure it is correct and complete. It is a later issue, but still 60's, I think. I can't recall when they changed to that type of box. It is an unusual building...is it HO or O and S?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The "flat bed car" is actually a Lionel box car 'frame'.

It is missing the plastic molded body that would have mounted to the top. The body has a slot on the left end to receive the steel flat bar, and a body mounting screw would have held it on the frame on the right end.

Most likely late 50's era, but I don't know the different years that trucks were made.

Does this frame have two horseshoe clips holding the trucks to the frame? If so, I'd pop those off in a heartbeat and list them as postwar replacement trucks.

Save those clips if you do, I just paid 75 cents each for those at a train show!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some lionel pieces are worth some nice cash.A simple little electric lamp post is worth over 1100 bucks.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trestle set 110, if gray trestles,was made in 1955 -57 and 1960-69.The box yours is packed in was was used 1955-58.You could probably get 30 to 50 bucks for it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Trestle set 110, if gray trestles,was made in 1955 -57 and 1960-69.The box yours is packed in was was used 1955-58.You could probably get 30 to 50 bucks for it.

$30 to $50????

Really? Where? I need to start a business buying these by the truckload at $10 to $15 and flipping them for $50.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats the thing clovis.If you want to get near the full value of an item you have to find and sell to collectors.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$30 to $50????

Really? Where? I need to start a business buying these by the truckload at $10 to $15 and flipping them for $50.

Look up the local Red James Cash in your area. You might want to ask about their check cashing service too. ;)

2cp8h1d.jpg

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thats the thing clovis.If you want to get near the full value of an item you have to find and sell to collectors.

Now, if I can just find the collectors who don't have internet access, don't use ebay, don't ever attend train shows, and want to spend top money on one of the most common and least desirable Lionel accessories, I'll have it made.

Watch out local Cadillac dealer...here I come...please ready my 2014 CTS-V in Black Raven...I am going to get rich selling trestle sets!!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I collect,not necessarily trains.I dont use ebay.Lots of collectors do not use ebay.Flooding the market doesnt work to well lol.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Beachkid,

I'd probably list the frame with trucks as "Lionel Postwar Frame W/ Trucks Operating Couplers Replacement Parts" or something like that.

Give exact measurements of the frame, length and width. No other measurements are needed.

Someone out there has a 6464 series, 6019 series or standard box car that has a rusty frame, and would like this as an upgrade.

This is a box car frame, and not a tender, hopper, gondola, tank car or caboose. Not an operating box car frame either. I am quite sure it is a postwar 1945-1969 issue, so list it there. I think it dates to the late 50's, but again, I don't know my Lionel trucks as they changed through the years.

I'd start a 4.99 auction with cheap shipping. Get it on now...this is the top of the train market for the year.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I collect,not necessarily trains.I dont use ebay.Lots of collectors do not use ebay.Flooding the market doesnt work to well lol.

If I could locate you a nice Lionel postwar 110 trestle set in an OB, would you give me $50 for it? I know a guy that has one that is for sale...I could probably work the deal for you.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry,everything I get my hands on that are collectible,I pay either nothing for,or a few bucks.I laugh all the way to the bank:sign10:Have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions