Lionel, marx at salvation army!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I have a yard sale this guy comes and looks around and asks if I have any trains? Actually I do. I really don't know what I have I know its that blue lionel engine that pretty common. To be honest I had it as a kid and I'm certain it came from a yard sale like most of my childhood toys. So I really don't know accesories it has or does not have. I also have a bunch of old marxs that were my dads. I would guess the most valuable part are the trainstation and stuff he had to go with them.
He said I'd like to buy them. I say they are in my storage unit but very hard to get to. Well I'd like to buy them.
Ok give me your number and I'll call you when I get to them. He says can I have your number. sure. Then he tells me I don't give much for them they aren't worth what they use to be. You know they are worth what they use to be.
I have no idea what they use to be worth. Well I don't give much for them because I fix them up and give them to underprivileged kids. Now in my mind wouldn't those kids want modern toys. Reiterates how he cant give much for them. He is going to an awful lot of effort for "underprivileged kids" he can't spend much on. Calls all the time and I ignore his calls. I mean just be honest and say I collect and sell trains. Or I'm a train dealer or whatever. I don't buy your story. I would have called him had he not started talking me down from no price point before he saw them. And then throwing in the underprivileged kids part was too over the top.

If I find someone who has something I think I will keep in my own collection I try to offer a fair price. Not a crazy stalker.

Anyway I wouldn't have passed up on some Lionel trains at a thrift store with the box. I once saw a set but they had like $45 dollars on it and it was out of my realm of knowledge and before ebay being on my phone.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
He's most likely a B.S. artist dumpsterdiver.He might know what you have,I dont know from your discription.I'm not really into trains,I just know whats worth $.I got all my trains out of a dumpster at a house I was working on.It was a case of idiots tossing stuff out that didnt know any better.They toss it and in 5 minutes I make between 800 to 1100 bucks worth of trains.The hardest part was carrying it to my car.I come across alot of stuff like that.:laughing7:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what I have either. I guess what worries me is this must work for him or he wouldn't have showed up more than once with the same story. People just don't keep using techniques that don't work for them. I'm not a train person either but I must have said something to get him going. And in all honesty. You would have to be offering a few hundred dollars to motivate me towards the back of my storage unit. Not telling me how little its worth.

He's most likely a B.S. artist dumpsterdiver.He might know what you have,I dont know from your discription.I'm not really into trains,I just know whats worth $.I got all my trains out of a dumpster at a house I was working on.It was a case of idiots tossing stuff out that didnt know any better.They toss it and in 5 minutes I make between 800 to 1100 bucks worth of trains.The hardest part was carrying it to my car.I come across alot of stuff like that.:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had meatballs try to put it to me before dumpsterdiver.I brought the fighting knife that I have to a gun show once to do some trading.The first guy I brought it to offered me 750 bucks for it.Now I not only have the knife but the G.I.s bronze star and original letter of recommendation for the medal that went with the knife,it was a package deal.I know the knife alone was worth over 3000 bucks.I was looking for 2000 to 2500 in trade for it,with the medal and the letter.Needless to say I took the knife away from him and walked away.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Every time I have a yard sale this guy comes and looks around and asks if I have any trains? Actually I do. I really don't know what I have I know its that blue lionel engine that pretty common. To be honest I had it as a kid and I'm certain it came from a yard sale like most of my childhood toys. So I really don't know accesories it has or does not have. I also have a bunch of old marxs that were my dads. I would guess the most valuable part are the trainstation and stuff he had to go with them.
He said I'd like to buy them. I say they are in my storage unit but very hard to get to. Well I'd like to buy them.
Ok give me your number and I'll call you when I get to them. He says can I have your number. sure. Then he tells me I don't give much for them they aren't worth what they use to be. You know they are worth what they use to be.
I have no idea what they use to be worth. Well I don't give much for them because I fix them up and give them to underprivileged kids. Now in my mind wouldn't those kids want modern toys. Reiterates how he cant give much for them. He is going to an awful lot of effort for "underprivileged kids" he can't spend much on. Calls all the time and I ignore his calls. I mean just be honest and say I collect and sell trains. Or I'm a train dealer or whatever. I don't buy your story. I would have called him had he not started talking me down from no price point before he saw them. And then throwing in the underprivileged kids part was too over the top.

If I find someone who has something I think I will keep in my own collection I try to offer a fair price. Not a crazy stalker.

Anyway I wouldn't have passed up on some Lionel trains at a thrift store with the box. I once saw a set but they had like $45 dollars on it and it was out of my realm of knowledge and before ebay being on my phone.

That dude sounds like a scam artist in the workings.

When you find the trains, post them here, or PM me. We'll figure them out so you can get the most for them.

Let's see..blue Lionel engines: The Wabash 2367 and 2240 AB units, worth some jack; Wabash 2339 GP7, worth a bit; Wabash Cannonball from the MPC era, not worth much; Lionel 44 rocket launcher, worth a bit; Lionel Blue Comet, pre-war, worth a good bit of jack; 51 Navy switcher, worth good money; several blue engines from the MPC era and modern era...I am pretty tired, and that's all the blue engines I can think of right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread