Lipstick tube quandary

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
So this is a Revlon lipstick tube, probably from the 60s but possibly a little before. It feels full, like there's still lipstick in it but getting it open has been a major challenge, it's apparently corroded shut. I fear that placing a brass tube in a vinegar and salt solution will totally destroy it and eat away the surface markings so not going there. I'd seriously love to get this thing open but what product or solution will be appropriate? I think it'll have to be fully immersed in whatever the solution is to have any hope here. What do you folks recommend? WD40 lol? Seriously though, advice would be appreciated on how to proceed here....

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_192931546.jpg
    IMG_20240306_192931546.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reads like you want to open it for some reason....

Transmission fluid . Give it some days . Test it each day by slight twist/torque applied.
If it moves then reverse torque. Only to barely wiggle at first. Not try to spin it. Even if loose don't spin it.

IF you have a SAFE from pets and kids and idiots and well ventilated area to secure a container..
some acetone can be added to the transmission fluid. 50/50 blend.
Due to flammability and what to do to store and dispose of used fluid , just use straight transmission fluid and be patient an extra day or two.

I've been quite pleased with the result on long rusted brake fittings before. By wetting them every day for a week.

WD 40 is a moisture displacement product. It is not a penetrating formula intent.
It works well for it's intended use. Which isn't as a weasel pee.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Reads like you want to open it for some reason....

Transmission fluid . Give it some days . Test it each day by slight twist/torque applied.
If it moves then reverse torque. Only to barely wiggle at first. Not try to spin it. Even if loose don't spin it.

IF you have a SAFE from pets and kids and idiots and well ventilated area to secure a container..
some acetone can be added to the transmission fluid. 50/50 blend.
Due to flammability and what to do to store and dispose of used fluid , just use straight transmission fluid and be patient an extra day or two.

I've been quite pleased with the result on long rusted brake fittings before. By wetting them every day for a week.

WD 40 is a moisture displacement product. It is not a penetrating formula intent.
It works well for it's intended use. Which isn't as a weasel pee.
Thank you, yeah, I have well ventilated spaces to work with not inhabited by living things, we do a lot of leather dying so it's a must. I'll give it a try, honestly I'm just curious to see what the color was originally, no idea what condition it's in, it was laying there in the exposed sun for 60-70 years, it's probably hard as a rock and that may be part of the problem opening it. I'll try that though, cleaning rust off iron is pretty straightforward in most cases but brass, bronze and copper require a more delicate touch

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, yeah, I have well ventilated spaces to work with not inhabited by living things, we do a lot of leather dying so it's a must. I'll give it a try, honestly I'm just curious to see what the color was originally, no idea what condition it's in, it was laying there in the exposed sun for 60-70 years, it's probably hard as a rock and that may be part of the problem opening it. I'll try that though, cleaning rust off iron is pretty straightforward in most cases but brass, bronze and copper require a more delicate touch
Easy does it . Yep.

Oh I'd be wanting it opened.

You know those old tire valve stem covers for model A's ect.?
And earplug or cork or carved wooden plug in the end for a stopper and you have a container.
An empty lipstick tube is a container as well. And a bit bigger.
A kids b.b.'s for an ammo carrier.
Something to carry salt in .
Will a bill folded and rolled just right fit for an emergency stash? Sure.
One never knows.
(If not discarded empty , how did the tube come to rest where it did?)

No , I don't expect gold nuggets in your tube . But only one way to be sure. L.o.l...

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
It's one of several artifacts from a site that I think may have all belonged to a single woman, all objects from a similar, perhaps 20 year time frame that I sense were relics of the matron of the property. It's a gut feeling. I'm curious to see the color if any such actually remains, it really does feel like it's mostly full

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Easy does it . Yep.

And earplug or cork or carved wooden plug in the end for a stopper and you have a container.
One never knows.

No , I don't expect gold nuggets in your tube . But only one way to be sure. L.o.l...
See my other reply from above. It's a farm dump, time frame tentatively dated from 1900ish to 1960ish based on finds and history found online. I get this strong gut feeling that there was a specific woman, possibly the wife of the main owner of the place, who left behind some meaningful relics of her life between the 1930s to 60s, very period specific relics. I can't say for sure but this is my impression

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy does it . Yep.

One never knows.

I was JUST about to ramp it up with saying, it could contain small gold nuggets....but you kind of beat me to it, good job releventchair, and of course everything else you suggested could be true. Midden-Marauder! It must be opened, T-Net & America demands it!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say you don't really mean that Don.....Don? Hello Don?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
First one I found back in the 80's I just HAD to know what was inside so I took a couple of pair of pliers and opened it to find......lipstick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread