GOLD IS POPPING !!

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Watching in amazement as gold keeps climbing. I remember years ago having a discussion with my brother about gold. His words were that "when times are tough, it is CASH..... that will buy you a loaf of bread and feed you. " SO,..here is the question; In a (hypothetical) worldwide disaster, which is the most reasonable to have; cash or gold?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news for me!!! :headbang:

gold pan black.jpg

gold pan two.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watching in amazement as gold keeps climbing. I remember years ago having a discussion with my brother about gold. His words were that "when times are tough, it is CASH..... that will buy you a loaf of bread and feed you. " SO,..here is the question; In a (hypothetical) worldwide disaster, which is the most reasonable to have; cash or gold?
It only takes a stroke of the pen to add zeros to any currency.
Screenshot_20240307_194219_Google.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a disaster like you describe, you want silver, not gold. Any gold coin would be worth way more than any survival item like food is worth. It would be impossible to get “change” from a double eagle! Silver dimes, quarters and half dollars could be be used for small purchases. Pray that it never comes to that!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s easy. The answer is - have both!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
In a disaster like you describe, you want silver, not gold. Any gold coin would be worth way more than any survival item like food is worth. It would be impossible to get “change” from a double eagle! Silver dimes, quarters and half dollars could be be used for small purchases. Pray that it never comes to that!
I have some valcambi that can be broken up into 1/10th gram chunks, but in reality, if I can't eat it, wear it, do work with it or drink it gold and silver are of little value in a SHTF scenario.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
-bullets.... the currency of the broken down society will be bullets, 9 mm, 357, 223 and the like, I go old school with 30/30 and 306. Coin will be useless.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Neither will matter....gold won't mean anything compared to toilet paper, batteries and canned meat.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the perspective of someone who has lived through the SHTF scenario, see this blog post. His take is basically: currency, metals, barter goods, and ammo, and probably in that order.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the perspective of someone who has lived through the SHTF scenario, see this blog post. His take is basically: currency, metals, barter goods, and ammo, and probably in that order.
Even though that was 14 yrs old it really doesn't change on if it was said yesterday.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
-bullets.... the currency of the broken down society will be bullets, 9 mm, 357, 223 and the like, I go old school with 30/30 and 306. Coin will be useless.
Nothing like a bartering currency that can unknowingly arm an enemy. Don’t turn your back...

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
If the choices are between cash, or gold ….. and if the situation really is SHTF ….. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It seems like the choices are lacking 😐
> Water and shelter from the elements, might buy a month or so of life.
> Food buys a few days
After SHTF, currency might only be good for toilet paper 😐

Maybe Some sort of commodity or tool …. I think most may not survive the S hitting the fan….. and those that do, it may get really bad.

Now if the definition of SHTF is more like a currency collapse type of scenario, I would say gold or silver, maybe bullets.
Where a person is located probably makes big differences in type of needs 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t know if there is a pat answer 🥸
Maybe good luck is the answer 🤓

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions