Little Boys are a Pox

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The age old ?....what am I doin here. Twain said two most important moments in life.....birth and the moment you find out why. The most respected fellow I ever knew said it was to help the others coming up so they didn't make the same mistakes we did. Waxing and waning philanthropic, or just the morphine talkin, either way I was a bit skeptical, tried tellin a teenager anything lately?

Won't take me long to dispense what few truths mules have taught me as they pertain to treasurin.

It's difficult for the modern treasure hunter to adopt the mentality that facilitates locating neat stuff. Whether your thing is coins,marbles,bottles,points......

People generally are unable to conceive a time or place where cobs replaced tp because paper of any kind was a commodity. So come w/me to a time when every farmboy had a sharp metal object in one hip pocket and a slingshot in the other. A community dump started in the early 1800's on a bed of limestone, on land that was home to bands of Native Americans, Spanish and European horse camps a treasure hunters paradise.

Circa 1870 a benevolent landowner donates a plot to a movement known as The Grangers 'Patrons of Husbandry' and a meeting hall/school is erected on the Butterfield stage route abandon post Civil War.

Now it's the 60's, my parents have purchased the land from the 86 yr old spinster who was born and raised on it....never knowing indoor plumbing ....the place had seen no improvement over the years. I was turned loose on 235 acres untouched by modern society......what a deal.

The impact a handful of adolescent children can have on an eco system should never be underestimated by scholars of the earth sciences. For years I was baffled as to the mysteriousness, not a point to be found or an intact piece of glass larger than a quarter. Then one day a turn of events tied it together...... Crock jugs and butter churns in shards, same scenario w/every layer unearthed. Not a few but every glass bottle, plate, pane lay shattered. A few tiny perfume bottles survived.

The points they kept the ag tools they modified,knapped gargoyles or genitalia and inscribed w/stuff like CH HearTs LW 1903 Sns 4ever.

Did you snap faster than I did. It wasn't until I uncovered the mass of marbles caught in the roots of an ancient cedar at the end of the wash that I did. Thousands of dollars of marbles shot at thousands of dollars of glass until the pieces lacked sufficient mass to break any further.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UZD..put down the metal detector and start writing...you have an incredible gift.

If the morphine is the cause, then buy more.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, kids had to have something to do and had to keep their slingshot arm sharp, so shooting marbles at stuff was a useful and fun pass time for them.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on a small farm and we had a "trash" pile in a low spot on the property, just like everyone back then. My brother and I spent many hours there with our BB guns busting bottles and plunking cans. Those were the good old days. We no longer have the property and the dump has been covered with many feet of fill. I would love to dig it up but it'll never happen.
Thanks for bringing the memory's of those days back.

HH, RN

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The morphine was supposed to relieve the pain of asbestosis the ol'man dispensing the truth got from sawing insulation,building schools under the WPA.

What a demon looked like in 1870
ATTACH=CONFIG]1456735[/ATTACH] demon.jpg

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None 4 me had enuff o that stuff

The morphine was supposed to relieve the pain of asbestosis the ol'man dispensing the truth got from sawing insulation,building schools under the WPA.

What a demon looked like in 1870
ATTACH=CONFIG]1456735[/ATTACH] View attachment 1456735

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, kids had to have something to do and had to keep their slingshot arm sharp, so shooting marbles at stuff was a useful and fun pass time for them.

yes maam...
guilty as the next. It wasn't like livin in the city. Very few if any playmates.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ever see what a modernish kid with a red ryder BB guns or a 22 rifle can do in a very short order to any and all glass / breakable items around?

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well announce you saw a ufo as to

hmm.jpg c2.jpg conglom.jpg

Don't have access to my editor, look at this portion of a large conglomerate and comment.

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, it was evident in the dump I was talkin about. You could even see the evolution of the round.
First shorts, then longs and long rifles. I could see the boys grow up as they weaned of of slingshots to 22's.
The amount of incised limestone was not to be believed, I found a like new marble w/a Native village scene etched w/a small pin I assume that was uncanny....I thought it odd a new marble woud sustain such damage. I could feel it but until I got a loupe out it jut seemed rough. The art got raunchier as they matured. Based on several factors, dates,names,marbles and other chronology the influence was from 1879-1905.

A lot I can't explain, the Grangers like the Masons were forward thinkers, big on human rights,education. even cryptic for lack of a better term. Lots of man in the moon type stuff. The arts were as important as the 3r's and the children were subjected at an early age. Had the school been part of the district, I would be better informed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on a small farm and we had a "trash" pile in a low spot on the property, just like everyone back then. My brother and I spent many hours there with our BB guns busting bottles and plunking cans. Those were the good old days. We no longer have the property and the dump has been covered with many feet of fill. I would love to dig it up but it'll never happen.
Thanks for bringing the memory's of those days back.

HH, RN

This one was quite large and was used by several farms. The guy that owned this land more or less abandoned his two daughters on this whiterock hill and the girls let the county split the place w/a cr. The orig. buggy trail would become impassable so the girls let people cross on high ground. So the dump had a solid limestone bottom and stuff endured surprisingly well. Easy access made it a snap to jump the fence and do some junkin. The two sisters for whatever reason always attached the closure to the bottle b4 chunking, It was nice to be able to work w/Corning historians and collectors of bottles, supplying manufacture/distribution info hereto unknown.

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike
Are you implying I'm an ass. Lamenting lost revenue, if so your powers of perception need work.

A post about always finding marbles in dumps is what prompted me to broach this.

If anyone was offended, maybe I need to read a book. Little boys are a pox didn't register as tongue in cheek.

If the first person you ran into today was an ahole.....probably .....if everyone you meet today is .......

My mantra

Last edited:

c.d.

Feb 2, 2015
WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me thinks the world would be a better place if todays youngsters were still depositing marbles in dumps !!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a boy when the older telephone poles had crossarms with glass insulators. A lot of times they were left in place after the new poles were installed. I cannot imagine the current value of the glass insulators that fell prey to me and my brother with our 22s! What a shame... but it was lots of fun at the time.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread