Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cocktails are called cocktail because mixed drinks were first stirred with a roosters feather:occasion14:

Red... just out of curiosity were you born in the 1900's or did your Grandpa tell ya that? Kind of makes sense... but here we just use a spoon or stirring stick now.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Red... just out of curiosity were you born in the 1900's or did your Grandpa tell ya that? Kind of makes sense... but here we just use a spoon or stirring stick now.

I was born around the mid 1900s.the true answer is someplace in Tnet,in one thread only.But,I put my age in nanoseconds. I remember reading this particular fact someplace.where,i have no idea.I read a lot and if you read as many books as i have you'd understand:laughing9:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to stay on topic.
Hummingbird facts.

Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world.

Hummingbirds can flash their bright colors, as well as hide them when needed.

The bright radiant color on hummingbirds comes from iridescent coloring like on a soap bubble or prism.

A Gorget is the bright flashing colored feathers of the hummingbird's neck.

A hummingbird's brain is 4.2% of its body weight, the largest proportion in the bird kingdom.

Hummingbirds are very smart and they can remember every flower they have been to, and how long it will take a flower to refill.

Hummingbirds can hear better than humans

Hummingbirds can see farther than humans.

Hummingbirds can see ultraviolet light.

Hummingbirds have little to no sense of smell.

A hummingbird will use its tongue to lap up nectar from flowers and feeders.

A hummingbird's tongue is grooved like the shape of a "W".

Hummingbirds have tiny hairs on the tip of the tongue to help lap up nectar.

A hummingbird's beak is generally shaped like any other bird beak, just longer in proportion to its body.

The edges of the hummingbird's top beak will overlap the edges of the hummingbird's bottom beak.

A hummingbird's bottom beak is slightly flexible.

Hummingbirds do not drink though their beaks like a straw. They lap up nectar with their tongues.

A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.

A Hummingbird's heart beats about 250 times per minute at rest.

A hummingbird's heart is 2.5% of the total body weight.

A hummingbird will take about 250 breaths per minute while at rest.

A hummingbird's metabolism is roughly 100 times that of an elephant.

Hummingbirds have very weak feet and can barely walk. They prefer to fly.

Hummingbirds with Iris
Hummingbirds like to perch.

Hummingbirds spend most of their life perching.

The hummingbird's body temperature is around 107 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hummingbirds are on average 8.5 centimeters long from the tip of the beak to the tip of the tail.

A hummingbird can weigh anywhere between 2 and 20 grams.

A penny weighs 2.5 grams

30% of a hummingbird's weight consists of flight muscles

Humans pectoral muscles are about 5% of body weight

Female hummingbirds are usually larger than male hummingbirds.

An average sized hummingbird will have about 940 feathers.

Females find iridescent feathers attractive.

Hummingbirds do not mate for life.

Male hummingbirds do not help raise the young.

Female hummingbirds do all the nest building.

A hummingbird baby is generally smaller than a penny.

Females will lay a clutch of two eggs.

Baby hummingbirds cannot fly.

Baby hummingbirds will remain in a nest for three (3) weeks.

Most hummingbirds die in the first year of life.

Hummingbirds have an average life span of about 5 years.

Hummingbirds can live for more than 10 years.

The oldest known hummingbird was a Broad-Tailed Hummingbird that was captured and tagged 12 years apart.

Male hummingbirds are very aggressive and will chase another male hummingbird out of its territory.

A hummingbird wings will beat about 70 times per second.

Hummingbird's wings will beat up to 200 times per second when diving.

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly both forward and backwards.

Hummingbirds can also hover in mid-air, fly sideways and even upside-down.

A hummingbird can fly an average of 25-30 miles per hour.

A hummingbird can dive up to 60 miles per hour.

A hummingbird's wings will rotate in a full circle.

Hummingbird with Blooms
Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds have been known to travel 500 miles over the Gulf of Mexico to breeding grounds.

It is estimated that a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird takes about twenty (20) hours to fly across the Gulf of Mexico.

Some hummingbirds will travel over two-thousand (2,000) miles twice a year during migration times.

The Rufous Hummingbird travels the farthest north of any other hummingbird during migration. All the way from Mexico to Alaska.

Hummingbird DO NOT migrate on the backs of geese.

Geese fly on different migration paths or fly-zones than hummingbirds do.

Hummingbirds need to eat on average 7 times per hour for about 30-60 seconds.

A hummingbird can eat anywhere from half (1/2) to eight (8) times its body weight a day.

A hummingbird will visit an average of 1,000 flowers per day for nectar.

Hummingbirds eat small soft bugs for protein.

A hummingbird will lap up nectar at a rate of about 13 licks per second.

Hummingbirds can double his/her weight before migration.

Hummingbirds will not get addicted to a hummingbird feeder filled with nectar. The hummingbirds will leave when they need to.

When hummingbirds sleep at night, they go into a hibernation-like state called torpor.

Hummingbirds enter torpor to conserve energy.

When a hummingbird goes into torpor, their metabolic rate is one-fifteenth (1/15) of normal sleep.

Torpor can save up to 60% of a hummingbird's available energy.

When in torpor, and hummingbirds heart rate can drop to as few as 50 beats per minute.

During torpor, a hummingbird can lower the body temperature to as low as 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

When hummingbirds go into torpor, they will appear as if they are dead and have occasionally been found to be hanging upside-down.

It can take up to an hour for a hummingbird to fully recover from torpor.

Torpor can be fatal to a weak hummingbird.

Hummingbirds are only found naturally in the Americas.

Hummingbirds are found as far north as Alaska.

Hummingbirds are found as far south as Chile.

Hummingbirds are the second largest family of birds in the Western Hemisphere.

There are more than 300 types or species of hummingbirds.

Most of the types or species of hummingbirds are found in South America.

The county of Ecuador has the largest number of types or species of hummingbirds.

There are more than fifty (50) types or species of hummingbirds that breed in Mexico.

There are more than fifteen (15) types or species of hummingbirds that breed in the United States.

There are more than three (3) types or species of hummingbirds that breed in Canada.

24-Inch Hummingbird and Flowers Wall Art
Hummingbirds are all part of the Trochilidae family of birds.

Trochilidae is from the Greek trochilos, meaning small bird.

There are two sub-families of hummingbirds:

Typical hummingbirds

Hermit hummingbirds

Most hummingbird types or species do not migrate

The smallest hummingbird is the Bee Hummingbird.

The largest hummingbird is the Giant Hummingbird.

White hummingbirds (or albino hummingbirds) are not a separate hummingbird type or species. They are regular hummingbirds that never developed color in their plumage.

Hummingbirds don't really sing, they chirp.

A hummingbirds favorite color is red

Hummingbirds like tubular types of flowers the most.

Hummingbirds pollinate flowers by rubbing their forehead and face in each flower as they get the nectar.

Many plants depend on hummingbirds for pollination.

Hummingbirds get their name from the humming sound produced by their wings when flying.

Early Spanish explorers called hummingbirds flying jewels.

Names for hummingbirds in other parts of the world include:

Beija-Flor: Portuguese for Flower-Kisser.

Chupaflor: Spanish for Flower-Sucker.

Joyas Voladoras: Spanish for Flying-Jewels.

Picaflor: Spanish for Flower-Nibbler.

El Zunzun: Caribbean for The Hummer.

Banded hummingbirds should be reported with the banding number to
1-800-327-BAND

Hummingbirds don't read books on what they are supposed to do and tend to do what they want.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen Seagulls on TV; Hawaii 5-0... :tongue3:

Heck maybe there are gulls in Hawaii... Daughter just out of the blue while I was driving her home from airport says... "Dad do you know there's no snakes, or seagulls in Hawaii". She lived there for about 3 years. Well since I know everything :laughing7: I said "Bullcrap"... there's got to be! Came home and looked it up for about 5 minutes. Sure enough it must be true "It's on the internet" also. :dontknow: I did see a boa someone let go and was ran over in Hawaii but that was it.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn Viking:o know a little bit about hummingbirds much?Pretty interesting stuff!I didn't know they could fly backwards either,that is pretty wild.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRITE THIS ONE DOWN!The typewriter was invented before the fountain pen.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why do we always see the same side of the moon as it rotates?
Well, It takes 28 days to rotate and it rotates around the Earth in 28 days.
Frank..-
five star.png

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
damn Viking:o know a little bit about hummingbirds much?Pretty interesting stuff!I didn't know they could fly backwards either,that is pretty wild.

Viking is one the Nations leading experts on hummingbirds. I've read many of his books and the updated versions also. There was a movie about him also..."Bird man of .... (something)" That was a good post Viking.

Ok... enough raggin' on Viking. I have 4 hummingbird feeders on my deck and I have to refill them 2 times p/day. And no joke here.... When anyone has to go to the pool house there are so many hummingbirds flying by you, you swear your going to get a little pecker in your ear (better than a big one). :laughing7: You can stand right by the feeder and they'll come right up to you. I've had them land right on me also.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Viking is one the Nations leading experts on hummingbirds. I've read many of his books and the updated versions also. There was a movie about him also..."Bird man of .... (something)" That was a good post Viking.

Ok... enough raggin' on Viking. I have 4 hummingbird feeders on my deck and I have to refill them 2 times p/day. And no joke here.... When anyone has to go to the pool house there are so many hummingbirds flying by you, you swear your going to get a little pecker in your ear (better than a big one). :laughing7: You can stand right by the feeder and they'll come right up to you. I've had them land right on me also.

They make a noise that sounds like a squeaky screen door to me,ever have one hover right in front of your face??

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well years ago my dad was president of the local Audubon society. As a youngster i would watch and learn as he took A LOT of pictures using A 400mm lens. But I don't know that much about hummingbirds...copy and paste!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well years ago my dad was president of the local Audubon society. As a youngster i would watch and learn as he took A LOT of pictures using A 400mm lens. But I don't know that much about hummingbirds...copy and paste!

WOW Viking... That is cool. I was going to go out and stand by the feeders and try and get a pic with my cheap camera and post. But I couldn't begin to match a 400mm shot. I bet your father was so cool and fun to be around when doing this. I bet you was proud of this and should be buddy!!! Later, Brad

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Viking... That is cool. I was going to go out and stand by the feeders and try and get a pic with my cheap camera and post. But I couldn't begin to match a 400mm shot. I bet your father was so cool and fun to be around when doing this. I bet you was proud of this and should be buddy!!! Later, Brad
He has never owned a digital camera, his favorite..... film. Like his favorite movies..black and white. he does not own a cell phone either!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like you... sounds like another man I'd like to meet someday Viking. My late father wanted a cell phone in 2003 at age 68. So he asked me to drive him to go get one. We got there and "we" picked one out. They wouldn't give him one because he had NO CREDIT RATING! But they would if I co-signed for him. MAN... he was pissed. He paid cash for everything his entire life. His home, cars, doctors and all bills. He was a proud man and thought a "credit rating" was for bad folks who didn't pay their bills. Man... how times have changed.

Give that man all the love ya can Viking.... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread