Little white rocks

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Has anyone found any small rocks that seem out of place.At a depth of a couple feet at one of my favorite sites I came upon a small cluster of white rock(quartz) all about the same size(dime).There were about twenty rocks.My partners and I have two theories.The first being they were used to tally something.Possibly days or items. the second maybe in some sort of rattle.........Any ideas??????

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I occasionally find quartz crystals in Indian camps that show (wear), as if they were carried in their medicine pouche's.

Fossis....................

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I like the idea of "Tally" rocks. I believe the Iroquois actually voted on things. That would be an interesting idea! I also find small quartz pieces. Although I have never found a quartz point or other tool. I also like the medicine pouch Idea. Maybe a "prayer" for people who have passed on? Maybe even trade items like "wampum" shells?

It could be many interesting things but all would be guesses on my part. I would keep an eye out for cashes of stone blades. If they cashed one thing they might have done the same with another.
~Z~

P

pickaway

Well in my line of work we call little white rocks crack cocaine baby.

OP
OP
J

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Believe me Zeawolf you were right on about the possibilities of other caches at this site.So far we have found 25 full points in this dig.One of my partners found 5 all in about a foot square.They were all facing the same direction at the same depth.Looks like a little cache to me.I found the chips but he found the dip.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes a rock is a rock :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread