Wheres the beef????

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
I dont know about you guys but I wander just what the heck some of these museums do with their(are) artifacts.I recently went to a local museum to see an exhibit.IT was basically called The last 30 years of archeology in Maine.Boy was I bummed.Their display was minimal at the least.They had some beautiful stuff.But give me another year like last and I'll be having my own display.Big daddy Jay's two years of archeology in Maine...lol I guess where I'm heading with all this rambling is I had considered donating my collection to a Museum.But I guess I can stash them away as good as they can.Besides when one of my sons has a project at school pretaining to maine Indians.We gonna shine.......and you know who the hero is gonna be.So I guess it all works out........

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The biggest reason I do not share my finds with historical societys etc. or tell people where I am finding stuff is the archeologists. You tell them of a site, they show up, dig everything and put it all in boxes and then they go in a basement at a university somewhere and you never see it again. The stuff I have found you can hold, turn it over and marvel at it and feel the magic that is still left in it. I aint telling nobody where I am finding my stuff...d2

A

Atlantis0077

Awe, shucks...

You can tell me ole buddy, ole pal....I promise I wont share the info with another living soul....lol

I share your sentiments. Still, I have a few people I share some of my good spots.....not all mind you..but some.

Yes the museums also sell their stuff...especially when strapped for cash or space for housing...an ugly little secret that few divulge. I also know of a few "robberies" conducted in museums....odd thing was the culprits had keys.....fancy that.

Atlantis......a point in the hand is better than 3 under glass. ;D

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Atlantis0077 said:
Awe, shucks...

You can tell me ole buddy, ole pal....I promise I wont share the info with another living soul....lol

I share your sentiments. Still, I have a few people I share some of my good spots.....not all mind you..but some.

Yes the museums also sell their stuff...especially when strapped for cash or space for housing...an ugly little secret that few divulge. I also know of a few "robberies" conducted in museums....odd thing was the culprits had keys.....fancy that.

Atlantis......a point in the hand is better than 3 under glass. ;D

Amen to that

xstevenx

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I had thoughts of leaving my Vt. collection to be displayed some where here in Vermont in the latter future where people can see them. But have learn that there isnt many places that would be interested in them. I have noticed that historical museums, which there arn't many of or are so small you have a hard time finding them have very few artifacts on display. I was told by a archeologist that he knows of closets full of artifacts, and he did mention a university. Nice artifacts that will probably never be viewed by the public. I asked him whats up with that and he said most places dont have enough display area and it cost to much to build a larger museum. I said if I donated my artifacts where might they end up? He said possible in one of those closets. I think some people just dont see the historical value as I do. Maybe the public wont be interested but at least give it a chance.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well this I also feel toward these socalled Mesuems.

QUESTION:
Is there anyone here that lives in Central Florida that collect Indian pottery shards.
I have discovered a location that has HUNDREDS of pounds that date back a thousand years.
It was a major trading site.
That is not all=THERE ARE ALSO GOLD FLAKES MIXED WITH THE SHERDS THAT YOU CAN SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE.
I am looking for someone with a boat who wants to take a trip and pick a few hundred pounds. I live in Titusville Florida.
Let me know.
Thanks
PEG LEG

bluecat

Feb 21, 2007
I went to the Smithsonian in Washington DC a couple of years ago and went through the Native American exhibit. It had very little to do with prehistoric times. It was a big disappointment. You can see more relics at almost any artifact show. They probably have the biggest collection in the world and hide it away. If you want to know how the white man contributed to the downfall of the indians go and check it out. If you want to see true artifacts go to any artifact show. It takes less walking and the displays are much better.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew of a man who donated his lifetime collection,(quite large) to a certain University Museum, I was told the curators divided the collection amongst themselve's & took them home because they were not found (insutu), in their natural place.

Fossis...........................

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I told myself once that when I am old and if I had no children I would donate my collection to the states the pieces were found in. But like many of you have mentioned they would basically store them away from public view. Now I know my collection is small and not the greatest but unless it is viewed it is a rock collection. Alot of museums sell and disperse their collections (even donated pieces) when space gets tight. I decided to give my collection to a relative in my will with stipulations that they keep it and pass it on to other generations.

I was told that in Pennsylvania along time ago the State Museum went to farms and bought buckets full of perfect LARGE spear point and smaller points for dirt cheap. But like others have said "where are they"?

~Z~

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I had a discussion with an archaeology student from a nearby university one day. She had found out that I hunt indian artifacts and wanted to talk to me. One of the first things she did was call me a "pot hunter". She said that I was very wrong for picking up artifacts even though I let her know that I hunted in plowed fields. She said that I was destroying the "archaelogical integrity" of the artifacts by picking them up. I informed her that the plow had destroyed the archaelogical integrity a long time ago. I told her that I at least save some of the artifacts from being destroyed. The plow and discs churned up the artifacts year after year. So what am I hurting? She had no comment for that. She then wanted to know where I hunted. I said "Kentucky". I then told her that was all the information that I was going to give her. She then said that it was my "duty" to donate some of my artifacts to the university for study. She then asked if I was going to will my artifacts to the university. I basically told her that she was crazy if she thought I was going to give the university any of my artifacts, they have plenty. I told her that they would be willed to my kids or grandkids to also pass along to their kids. She was shocked that I would think of such a thing.

OP
OP
J

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
To adena man in regards to the archeology student.She shore must have been easy to look at because she wernt to easy to listen to .Sounds like a university clone to me.Scary............

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I guess you could call me a bit of a turncoat on the profession as I have many hours of classical archaeology under my belt. Had really planned on getting a masters degree in Caddoan Archaeology when I finished college, but was so burnt out I didn't pursue my graduate assistantship.

What I hear you saying is right on the mark. If you are a private collector regardless of what methods you use to find artifacts, to the professional community you are a plague....labels of "Pot hunter" or "scavenger" is what they will put on you. Of course they will readily accept any site information you are crazy enough to give them, and when they have it, they will quickly tell you not to return to the site under penalty of law.

I know the value of a good site, and what sites can be "scavenged" without loss of anything archaeologically significant. So don't appreciate being labeled just because of a hobby.

I have tried to be something of a bridge between the amateur and the professional....I learned quickly the "twain don't meet." The archaeologists say all they are after is the cultural information....the history to be learned from the site...not the relics. What then is the harm of the finder of the site being able to keep the booty?? Well as you all know it doesn't work that way.

There are some good "eggs" out there I am sure, but by in large most that we have in my neck of the woods can be called for lack of a better word..."arrogant." They look down their nose at you like you are looting the pyramids if you pick up a point from a cotton field.....and heaven forbid you walk the bottom of a lake. Now where is the stratigraphy in a washed out lake bottom? There is none. It's like they don't want any relics in the hands of the public. Since there is little rationale behind this attitude, I can see it only as a desire for control on their part.

A viable partnership between amateur and professional would reap benefits for both. New sites for the professional if they would share the wealth were relics are concerned, and a greater understanding of the importance of obtaining cultural information for the amateur. A perfect match, but sadly it doesn't work that way.

I am certain that in the not too distant future relic collecting will be legislated out of existence. That will be a sad day indeed for there will be tons of sites and valuable information lost due to farming, logging, and industrial activities because there are no amateurs out there looking anymore. The "pot hunters" will be stymied, but the profession will be the greatest loser.

Atlantis

OP
OP
J

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
My thoughts on this are if they are depending on my little week-end jaunts,my hobby,as their means for archaeological advancement on Indian habitation.I think we are all in for trouble.Heres my guide-lines I use them pretty much for all aspects of my life.To thine self be true. If I can look at myself in the mirror each day without feeling guilty its been agood day.There may be a day when my values are tested.But they better like to walk and have plenty of bug spray because here in Maine aint nothing easy........

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
I totally agree Atlantis. Maybe we should give them a cut. ::) I bet the archaes and the goverment would tolerate us if they could make a buck and regulate us with licenses and rules and heavy taxation of sales.

bm

A

Atlantis0077

Hey now there is a thought.

Relic license.....a yearly fee to the state and government for the privilege of relic hunting....the downside to that would be great though.....no doubt they would figure out a way to tax the dollar value of any finds....lol

Atlantis

Silver Phoenix

Feb 22, 2007
Houston, TX USA
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet!
I agree with all of you and here in TX we are doing exactly as you suggest---check out the Texas Artifact Collectors Association and this bill we are sponsoring.

BTW, anyone ever want to donate their collection please donate it to me lol---I display everything I have including pooters and I have about 10-15 friends a month come through my house just to look at my collection. Better than them sitting in a closet and gathering dust lol.

www.geocities.com/thetexasaca/org

http://www.prosbb.com/forum/index.php/topic,2086.msg13619.html#msg13619

Chupa

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I'm getting a pretty good collection from the field that never fails... I was going to donate my findings to the State as well.. but I'm reconsidering after reading these posts. Especially Atlantis's..It's good hearing from someone who has stood on both sides of the line. I think I will Pass my points, axes, celts, mortars, pestles, pottery, plummets, blade cache's, ect.. on to my son. Atleast he will know the time and passion I put into this hobby.. and not stick them in a closet or distribute them to employee's of a museum. I guess that's the States loss.. In my eyes every piece of flint we pick up, we are preserving a a piece of history that would otherwise be lost. So to all my fellow hunters Good luck and keep it up. We have a lot of flint to pick up and a lot of history to preserve.
Just my 2 flints...

xstevenx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread