OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't see how this thread was offensive to anyone or why it should've been. Or really what the big deal is. It won't happen again. I'll go back to reading everybody else's instead. Just trying to hook you up for the future that's all. Then everybody gets in a big uproar over a stupid post... I barely have time to come back and read them let alone see the reason for anyone to complain over it. Oh well.

So having paid for the membership I'm not allowed to attach a link to my own auction? especially not having the purpose of trying to sell it to anyone here other than to provide information for others...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, this is (one of) the problems with society today. Everyone is so easily offended, and to me THAT is offensive! There is no need to apologize or do anything differently. Just ignore the noise, if there is a problem a moderator will make the necessary adjustments.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't see how this thread was offensive to anyone or why it should've been. Or really what the big deal is. It won't happen again. I'll go back to reading everybody else's instead. Just trying to hook you up for the future that's all. Then everybody gets in a big uproar over a stupid post... I barely have time to come back and read them let alone see the reason for anyone to complain over it. Oh well.

So having paid for the membership I'm not allowed to attach a link to my own auction? especially not having the purpose of trying to sell it to anyone here other than to provide information for others...

Beachkid don't be offended. If there is an issue it is suppose to be reported and allow mods to handle it, members are NOT suppose to attack a member over it.

You imply you paid for Charter Membership, it is a yearly fee and unless you recently paid for it it simply has expired is all, there is no reason for you to be attacked over it.....If you recently paid pm me with info and admins can search to see what happen..

Diggum, if you use an ap to access TreasureNet you do not see signatures, and it is very easy to over look a member not being a charter member in their posts, even for mods..

Last edited:

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other

Interesting that anyone has an issue with this. Granted, I'm still a newbie, but I thought that the purpose here was to find out what others sell, and to share what I sell, in order to make more money and help others in their efforts. Linking to an eBay auction seems a natural way for people to share that information.

Perhaps just sharing an auction that has ended is more appropriate but if I have something exciting to share, I would have considered posting a live auction to share that excitement. For one, I enjoy watching auctions progress and seeing what they end up going for.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only charter members can link their eBay sakes or stores, only supporting vendors and charter members can offer to sell items here..

If non Charter Members want to show item on eBay they can download picture and post it, they just can't post links to eBay.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Only charter members can link their eBay sakes or stores, only supporting vendors and charter members can offer to sell items here..

If non Charter Members want to show item on eBay they can download picture and post it, they just can't post links to eBay.

Does that included completed listings? If the intent is stop people from peddling their wares, I'd assume completed listings would be ok for informational purposes.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is like opening the flood gates and we would be covered in spam. We fight it already as everyone knows. It would be worse for members if we opened up a market place where anything goes. I do not want to see anyone ripped off. The Mods all work for free and appreciate the help. Ok back to real world work!
Have fun!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still violates rules, they could be running sales for other Items.

Someone could take a screenshot and then black out sellers and buyers usernames and auction Id number, all references used to view the sale would need to be removed...

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other

Someone could take a screenshot and then black out sellers and buyers usernames and auction Id number, all references used to view the sale would need to be removed...

Sounds like a LOT of work for us to go through to help out others.

Once again, I know that I'm just a newbie here and understand that my opinions don't mean squat, but this rule seems counter-productive. I mean, look at Beachkid ... he's contributed more things to try to help everyone out and he's called out for posting a link to a current auction? Anyone who thought that he was trying to drum up sales for his Littlest Pet Shop HERE is way off base. He's trying to help the community.

It's rules like this that keep people "hiding in the shadows" and not sharing their wins with the community. For instance, I was considering starting a thread to promote things that I've bought and sold with links to closed listings to give people other ideas of what to look for when they're going to yard sales that aren't gold or silver. I don't always have the time to embed photos and re-describe items ... much easier to link to what sold so others can see for themselves if they are interested.

There's a big difference between trying to drum up sales and showing people what something sold for to help out the community.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately if we allowed it some would use it as a way to bypass rules on selling....

It is easy to fix, if member wants to sale or post their EBay just become charter members..

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

With all due respect Treasure_Hunter Unless the person who had the auction is the person who takes the screenshot and posts it on here I believe what you are doing is asking people to violate copyright law and that in itself is a violation of tnets rules.

As per the rules: "You may not.... Post, upload, email or transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any copyright, patent, trademark, or other proprietary right of any party, unless You are the owner of the Rights or have the permission of the owner to post such content."

I'm not trying to muddy the waters here but I could use some clarification. I have often included a link to an ebay or other sites auction when trying to I.D. an item posted in the "What Is It?" forum. Is it a rule violation to do this? It would most certainly be a violation of the rule quoted above to take a screenshot of the auction and post it on here.

I do want to say thank you to you and all the other mods. I know it's not an easy job and that oft times you good folk are both applauded and condemned for an action you take.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the purposes is for criticism, comment, news reporting or teaching it is allowed. The sole purpose here is criticism, comment, news reporting and teaching, there is no monetary value involved....

Section 107 of the Copyright Act states:

......the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone who thought that he was trying to drum up sales for his Littlest Pet Shop HERE is way off base. He's trying to help the community.

...really? ...seriously?

The amazing part is how entitled people are. I deserve it, and I deserve it for free.

The picture had to be posted on eBay. So, a photo of the item is already readily available on the computer.

Just click the button and post that same photo on TN. LESS STEPS INVOLVED than posting an active link to the auction. How is that MORE work??

And the really seriously part...

'come on... the Charter Member fee is one seriously low cost for what people get. Pay the few bucks and just be a Charter Member, then DO THE EXTRA WORK and link to the auction.

If the few dollars for Charter Membership is the difference between success and failure, eating or starving, there are other more serious issues involved, like maybe quit paying for high speed cable and use the free internet at the local library...

again...seriously??

Look past the outfield- past the parking lot, maybe to the next town, because that's apparently how far off base I am.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember being charter member also allows cm members to enter our free monthly drawing give away too..

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When the purposes is for criticism, comment, news reporting or teaching it is allowed. The sole purpose here is criticism, comment, news reporting and teaching, there is no monetary value involved....

Section 107 of the Copyright Act states:

......the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

I am aware of the Fair Use Doctrine. I don't think the statute you have included defines what is fair use of copyrighted material but only offers some guidelines to be considered. This link explains those guidelines a little more although not completely.

More Information on Fair Use| U.S. Copyright Office

You and i could argue copyright law/infringement for months and not come to a conclusion that would satisfy both of us. Attorneys have become very rich doing just that.

Be that as it may, arguing with you is not the reason for my post, nor do i have any desire to do so. What I would appreciate is for you to answer the question i asked about posting links to auctions to help I.D. items in the What Is It? forum. I am a bit confused as to what is allowed.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggum, if you use an ap to access TreasureNet you do not see signatures, and it is very easy to over look a member not being a charter member in their posts, even for mods..
I rarely use the mobile app. and could care less. Beachkid did nothing wrong here, 'cept maybe let his charter membership expire and not realize it. I've done that myself before.

He did not open this.

Can+of+Worms.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely diggum...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Links to EBay can only be posted by charter members.... If you post picture from EBay where username of seller and buyer and the auction number are blacked out it does not violate rules as all reference to buyer, seller and auction number are blacked out.

No different than posting copy of treasure stories posted in magazines...

Last edited:

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
...really? ...seriously?

The amazing part is how entitled people are. I deserve it, and I deserve it for free.

The picture had to be posted on eBay. So, a photo of the item is already readily available on the computer.

Just click the button and post that same photo on TN. LESS STEPS INVOLVED than posting an active link to the auction. How is that MORE work??

And the really seriously part...

'come on... the Charter Member fee is one seriously low cost for what people get. Pay the few bucks and just be a Charter Member, then DO THE EXTRA WORK and link to the auction.

If the few dollars for Charter Membership is the difference between success and failure, eating or starving, there are other more serious issues involved, like maybe quit paying for high speed cable and use the free internet at the local library...

again...seriously??

Look past the outfield- past the parking lot, maybe to the next town, because that's apparently how far off base I am.

Sure ... why not ... I'll bite.

Uh, yeah, seriously.

Again, Beachkid wasn't hoping anyone here would bid on his Pet Shop stuff ... if you wanted to promote that, you would go to a TOY forum, not Treasurenet.com. If he was doing the same with his gold coin collection, I'd understand your beef. Treasurenet.com is not well known for its toy collectors. I've also followed Beachkid who is here sharing his wins and NOT selling me things ... so yeah, in my opinion, you're off base. That's my humble opinion and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

And I'm entitled? That's a mighty wide brush that you're painting with, my friend. Look, I'd imagine that there are a lot of people that come here to leech off this community. They read, they learn and they use the knowledge that others are sharing. They do nothing to contribute back to the community. I haven't done a lot yet, but I've started, and telling me right off the bat to pay up to HELP others with the knowledge that I have was a bit much. Crazy that I thought that contributing back to this forum rather than just leeching off of it was a start to paying my dues. Calling me entitled is juvenile and incorrect. I'm owed NOTHING in this world and have to work, claw and scratch for everything that I get. You don't know me, so don't assume to think that you do.

Lastly, I'm stating my opinion in what I think is a civilized and honest manner. I mean no disrespect to the mods who I know have a thankless job, but I wanted to voice my opinions. Thank you mods for the work you do even when I don't agree with the policy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen issue is settled. Please put it back on topic...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions